Christchurch Earthquake

Dion

• Members

Christchurch earthquake likely to be NZ's worst natural disaster

New Zealand Herald

So far the death toll is at 75 and 300 people are still missing. Such a cruel twist of fate after last year's 7.1 magnitude quake which claimed no lives (bar one who I believe died of a heart attack from shock I think). The quake was only 6.3 but was much shallower and the epicenter was much closer to the city. It also struck in the middle of the day (the last one was in the early morning) meaning many were in Downtown Christchurch at the time.

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Very sad news to hear, oddly enough I was reading about Christchurch the other day on Wikipedia. I think I'm still always struck that Australia and NZ have quite small populations so the recent disasters in both countries sounds like to be taking devastating tolls. Odd that the same city gets two major earthquakes with the span of a year must be an unstable geologic area right now.

• Members

Reports have said that one that hit Christchurch this week was from a new line.

Devastating Bushfires, Cyclone's, Floods & Earthquakes that have hit our two countries over the last 2 years, and other acts of mother nature have shown that no matter what, when something this horrible happens we all lend a helping hand to help that city/country to get back on their feet.

• Members

Very true. This years Anzac Day is going to be a very poignant one I think.

The death toll now stands at 146 and there are still more bodies to be found. Small on global scales of course but still such a devastating blow, especially when you realise that most of the victims had actually survived a major quake less than six months beforehand. It's hard to get your head around it really.

Archived