Y&R: Old Articles

• Members

Were they perhaps desperate for a teen audience? Because his looks completely fit into that surfer/boy band look of the 90s. He looks fresh off an episode of Saved By The Bell or California Dreams. I started watching long after his debut and even I questioned why this bland doofus was Victor and Nikki's son. 

• Replies 13.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

I could buy Morrow as Nikki's son but he doesn't come off as someone who was raised in a prestigious Swiss boarding school. The various Adams have that rich sophisticated effectation, even though he was the one raised on the farm. Chris Engen did the best job at coming off believably as both a country-born boy and a young Wall Street exec.

Edited by BoldRestless

• Members

Maybe there was a push for some young blood on the show. I didn't think the Y&R demo had really slipped until 95 or 96 when Days was really heating up. There were so many young hot men who could act and actually would have looked the part as well. I really will never know why he got the role.

Nicholas should have been more like Nikki used to be. A little quirky, flighty and sensitive as well as a bit of a hopeless romantic. He spent more time on the ranch with Nikki and Jack. Actually if Nick had been a little more like Terry Lester's Jack, it would have made Victor's head explode, haha. 

• Members

This has always been my issue with the way the character is written.

I admit to being an education snob, and I guess a guy who went to a school like La Rosey could be into video games and not graduate from college, but if I were Victor then I would constantly be complaining about wasting $132,000.00 in annual tuition on this schlub.

Half of Genoa City went to school in Europe, but none of them speak French, drink espresso, or share a lack of knowledge of pop culture that occurred while they were out of the country.

On a side note, it is always the oddest piece of Y&R trivia that Nikki and Victor have kids named Nicholas and Victoria, but neither was named for their parents.  Just within the past few years I learned that Victoria was actually named for Kevin's (Nikki's first husband, not Michael's brother) maternal grandmother and his overbearing mother Alison insisted on the name.  That was back when Nikki thought that Kevin was the biological father and before Victor's vasectomy was magically reversed; resulting in three more kids.

Edited by j swift

• Members

Agree, especially in contrast to Victoria/Heather Tom.

Victoria was an entitled daddy's girl, who could be manipulative but at the same time vulnerable. a complicated character who could be unpredictable - a writer's dream.

Maybe they wanted a contrast with Nick's character but neither the writing or JM's portrayal ever presented any hidden depths.

Bill Bell often had a problem with the 'nice guys' eg Greg,Scott,Cole etc-they always came off as bland.

• Members

Joshua Morrow is handsome and has always had great chemistry with his love partners on the show. This is a quality. He is not the most talented and layered actor, but he can express Nick's feelings in honest and beliavable ways, as a lover, as a father, as a son, as a brother. 

I guess Bell chose him because he was so 90s and so BH90210. And he made Nick the hunky boy next door. Victor was harsh, resolute and gothic because of his sad past. Nikki jumped from restless youth to alcoholism and insecurities. Victoria was strong-willed and manipulative... but also a vulnerable young woman who had experienced marriage issues at 17 with and older guy and the incest false alarm with Cole... I can see why Bell wanted a less troubled and smart Nick and a young new couple like Nick and Sharon. 

• Members

I believe it was Kevin's paternal grandmother who was named Victoria -- Earle Bancroft's mother.  Alison Bancroft, who suspected all along that Victor Newman had fathered the child, taunted Nikki by saying, "Earle's mother was named Victoria.  Have you considered that for a name?"  

I'm the only person on the board who feels this way, but I've got no problem with Joshua Morrow.  He's not an especially good actor, but his somewhat dimwitted character has always struck me as someone who would've been spawned by Nikki.  

• Members

I'd say so. Remember 1994 was when Reilly's Days had really taken off and was about to blow up in the aftermath of OJ. Nobody I knew of the middle school/high school demographic back then was checking for the frat party, it was all about Reilly's Days.

I thought Victor had the vasectomy during his marriage to Julia, and learned it wasn't successful around the time Julia miscarried a child Victor believed was fathered by Michael Scott.

• Members

While my comment about Victor's vasectomy was meant in jest, (and I am certain to be corrected), I always thought Nikki wasn't certain that Victoria was Victor's because she knew that he had the surgery.  Alison knew that Victor and Nikki had a liaison before her wedding to Kevin (not Michael's brother), but it wasn't until Victoria was kidnapped that the truth came out.

BTW, I wonder if Victoria is aware of all of the drama surrounding her conception?

• Members

In the 1982 clips, Nikki is pretty sure Victor is the father due to the intricacies of her cycle, but Douglas tells her that Victor is so against the idea of having children that he once attempted a vasectomy, so she decides to give it a go with Kevin. 

Victor had another vasectomy when he got married to Diane, and still managed to get Sabrina and Ashley pregnant later but neither baby survived. 

• Members

Victor went to Switzerland because Little Cole had to be operated. He didn't know for sure if Cole was his son or not, but he told Douglas that he definitely didn't want any children in his life. A partial drunken Nikki had sex with Victor on the couch after the funeral of her dear friend Cash, the male stripper. She was sad and wanted to feel alive. 

Nikki couldn't remember well her one night stand with Kevin. They both drank too much.