Y&R: Old Articles

• Replies 13.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

I still wonder if being married to Hunter Tylo at the time was a reason Blade was pushed so much. I never really can get Blade, but i would still love to see those 1994/1995 episodes that involved the Blade/Rick fiasco.

I asked this before but can somebody confirm if the reason why Y&R started to have some sloppiness to the storylines starting in the 90's was because Bill was started to get sick. If this was the case why couldn't his other writers correct some of his mistakes? Was some of the bad continuity/ people teleporting to different places in the span of 5 seconds an example of him being inconsistent or was that someone elses fault when it was time to break down the script?

• Members

It always makes me sad to think about, especially when the "writers" in the Bell family now are remarkably talentless, although Brad Bell at least seems to care - MAB only wants fawning press attention. From what Jamey Giddens said at DC, she rarely visits the studio.

• Members

I feel that in retrospect that Brad Bell really should not be writing for B&B anymore, but at the same time i have this weird feeling that they can't afford to loose him as well....

Jamey has also said that Maria is nothing but a "famewhore" with all of her stunt casting and because of that there is a possibility that she is just embarrassed that

she writes a soap opera...

I really wouldn't be surprised if she did hire Stockard Channing as the new Leanna Love.....

Edited by yr9190

• Members

Sadly that would be one of her better casting decisions.

If "Auntie Ri Ri" is being criticized so heavily at DC I know that she is a mess.

To get back to your point about Michael Tylo - they tried him at one soap after another and it never really worked out. I guess on paper this might have been interesting but Blade seemed to be one of many male characters in this time period who was so poorly conceived (Jed Sanders, Kurt Costner, among others).

• Members

I have heard a lot about this Jed Sanders guy (He is in one of my old episodes from November 1993 as you recall) From what i read it seems like they bounced him from story to story

He started out being Nina's supposed father, then when it was proved he wasn't he started sniffing around Nikki and fighting with Victoria and then seduced Jill on the side when she and John were having marital problems. It doesn't really seem like a well conceived umbrella story where the original starting character in his story ( Nina) rarely has any connection to Nikki, but even though she is connected to Jill, i doubt they were thinking about the Jill/Nikki rivalry when everyone found out Jill was sleeping with Jed while dating Nikki. I guess what i am trying to say is that they never really knew where to take this guy, Did he just vanish when he was let go?

Edited by yr9190

• Members

Someone, maybe even in this thread suggested Peter Reckell for the role of Blade and I think he would have sizzled. I don't know about the dual role part but he'd have been perfect for being rugged and mysterious. Can you imagine Reckell getting it on with either Epperson or Walton? Plus he left Days in early '92 so he would have been available. Anthony Addabbo later played a dual on role to B&B for better or worse too bad they didn't find him earlier.

To Michael Tylo's credit he did have an extensive and well known soap background when he was hired while Hunter was still probably recognized as Marina Toscano laugh.pnglaugh.png

Jed left town and I believe he was involved with Nikki when he did so. It was quite sudden, and I remember her being upset.

As for no one catching some of that sloppiness there 1996/1997 my guess is there was too many cooks in the kitchen at that point. The writing team had gotten bigger by then. Remember by 2001 we had Scott and Alden coming to blows over storytelling and casting decisions.

• Members

I've asked some of this before, but I am still very interested in the Victor/Julia relationship of the early 80's. She had seen the worst of Victor, but within a few years she seemed to be one of his strongest defenders. There's a very good scene after Eve almost stabs Victor with a butcher knife, and Julia collapses into Victor's shoulder.

How long did it take them to go from the low point of her miscarriage/her boyfriend being in a dungeon to becoming so close?

This was never written as Julia still pining for Victor, right? Wasn't that just that somewhat nauseating parade of his old loves that Alden or Smith wrote in 2002?