Nielsen: Life Is a Stream

Sylph

• Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

People want options a la carte. It's ridiculous to think in this day and age that we have to sign up for a financially raping cable/satellite package that we, as consumers, either barely use or use way too much.

I'd be glad to pay $25-50 a month to choose and pick ten channels(plus local stuff), plus a FREE DVR service(charge for the purchase of the box only). But I think some people(especially the younger generation that they claim has all the buying power) are getting hip to finding their shows via legal and not-so-legal means(YouTube, Torrents, Blogs, Etc.) using an affordable, high speed internet client.

But there will always be more people who are using cable than those that aren't. Most people in this country, despite the recession, are still too lazy to get entertained by cheaper means. These people want to be able to plop down in front of a TV and flip through channels and be trained and told to watch (insert program name here) instead of using TV as a template to build their own renegade TV network in their own home. I think we'll see tiered internet and higher prices for high speed internet in the future(at least five-ten years), but right now I think the consumer is just either too busy, too passive, too lazy, or too stupid to cut the cord.

Archived