DAYS: Behind the Scenes, Articles/Photos

• Members

I have a question about Marlena and RoJohn’s house explosion from 1986, where Marlena was presumed dead and kidnapped by Orpheus.

Was the entire house destroyed? RoJohn continued to live there until 1991 and raised Carrie, Sami, and Eric there. Was the house only partially destroyed? Was it the same set? Where did RoJohn and the kids stay until it was rebuilt?

The set continued to be seen until 1994 and then briefly returned in 1997 before the set was eventually repurposed as Abe and Lexie’s house. 

• Replies 6.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

12-12-91 Chip & Julie "The Ballad of Davy Crockett" 

Please register in order to view this content

Have y'all seen the new promo for Wally & the guys? I posted & asked him if they've hired a PR firm! Got no reply, when he usually he comes back at me! 

Please register in order to view this content

Edited by Donna L. Bridges
more info

• Members

The production, at least visually, was already really, really bad lol.  However, I thought the daily scripts during TomSell were SO good, and I give a lot of credit to Lorraine Broderick being the breakdown writer in those years.  Even if the stories were bad, which they were at the end of their run, the dialogue was so on-point and character and history rich.  This is a great example.  However, if one wanted to say that TomSell were anti-J&M, I wouldn't disagree . . . Marlena was portrayed as a self-righteous martyr in those years and she was sooo supporting.  John was thrown under the bus (but I thought his characterization as a egocentric himbo with a toxic hero complex that caused a lot of collateral damage was a wildly different, interesting interpretation of the character) and Marlena eventually settled into a default background pairing with Roman after John was written out!  Does anyone remember that it felt like TomSell was thisclose to maybe reuniting them?!?  That was a really strange time for Marlena & John.

• Members

TomSell wrote out Jack, Carrie, and Austin, who were the reason I started watching again, then proceeded to write out Billie, take Bryan off contract, end Lumi, and have openly gay Will have sex with that trash bag Gabi. Oh, and they thoroughly fucked over Drake. They and Josh Griffith are the most destructive writers to ever blemish Days of our Lives. They were hacks and I rejoiced when they were finally fired. 

Ron restored John and Marlena to their proper place at the center of the show. They are the heart and soul of Days and the rightful successors to Tom and Alice. 

• Members

I agree with a lot of this.  Jack and Billie are two of my faves and I really like Austin & Carrie, too.  Right off the bat, that hurt.  A lot.  And the constant deification of Daniel Jonas and using Jennifer as the vehicle to propel him to the center of the show was infuriating.  But all I’m saying is that there was very thoughtful dialogue and some characters got very well positioned… on the one hand they DID feel like they were tearing down the foundation of the show, on the other, it felt like they were doing a loving, sensitive historic renovation of it.  Like, it was HORRIBLE that we lost Jack, but they wrote his memory better than any writer since his heyday in the early ‘90s.  And I HATED Dannifer and their transparent agenda to legitimize Daniel through Jenn, but Jenn was positioned as the central heroine of the show and she, Abby and JJ absolutely became the heart of the show in the Horton home, which was lovely.  I feel like with TomSell, there was a LOT of “take the good with the bad.”

• Members

I stopped watching Days when they killed off Jack but planned to start watching again for Eileen. That lasted about 5 episodes. Once Kristen and Marlena had that anticlimactic reunion in the park and then with John with Basic Black, it was clear TomSell was not going to tell the story I wanted them to tell so I stopped watching. On top of that, Kristen deserved a return story as epic as her original exit story The Killing Pool but TomSell refused to bring back Eileen’s other characters.

The only complimentary thing I have to say about TomSell is that at least they finally did bring back Susan. Her scenes were well written. 

Eileen has reprised four of her five characters under Ron which is why I like him as the best head writer since Jim Reilly.