DAYS: Behind the Scenes, Articles/Photos

• Replies 6.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

There's plenty of posts on this thread even about CC and DH having issues.  To the point, I believe soap press asked both of them about it.   It had something to do with Deidre being jealous/mean/upset about Crystal's airtime and Carly's prominence on the show at the time.

Ex- DAYS Star Deidre Hall Puts Rumors of Crystal Chappell Feud to Rest - Daytime Confidential

This is the gist of it.  Obviously they both basically denied it.

Edited by carolineg

• Members

Marlena didn't really have her own story in the beginning of 1992.  She could have been doing tv movies or side projects, but she was a bit on the backburner.   She was mad at Roman for going undercover and that Mrs. Doubtfire rip off, she supported and helped in the Danielle Romulus story, was supporting in Isabella's illness, Carrie's return etc.  The Lombard story does start pretty early on in 1992 when they sue the hospital and she's involved in that from the beginning, but not in a huge capacity.  Marlena is definitely around and appears, she is just more supporting in the stories the show was focusing on at the time. By summer Marlena's story with Roger is heating up and she's in the Pit by Nov 92, maybe October?  

• Members

Marlena in the pit was the Friday cliffhanger for Oct. 30, 1992. That storyline lasted through Friday, Dec. 11. Well, technically Marlena was rescued on the 9th, but there was an aftermath to deal with.

• Members

Deidre and Suzanne’s feud involves Deidre’s ex-husband. 

Thank you. Perhaps she was supporting because the spinoff was in development. The Pit really kicked Marlena’s return into high gear and set off her classic 90s run. 

• Members

When did they start clearly, actively moving towards or hinting at the affair and unfinished business? I've heard a lot about the weird happy families ending to the Two Romans and I believe I heard the pit, Stella Lombard, etc. began John and Marlena's reconnection but I'm curious on the timetable. And whose idea it was (I presume all JER).

• Members

The first seed for me was when Isabella was dying and she asked Marlena to take care of John when she's gone. There are hints John/Marlena have at strong bond before the Pit because John has some harsh words to say about Roman going undercover and Marlena helps him with his grief with Isabella.  They also work together against Roman to help Carrie with some of TM's Carrie's idiotic decisions.  I wouldn't say it was extremely overt or obvious but perhaps showing how compatible they still were.  After all Isabella had just died lol

So basically the timeline is pretty quick-

Dec 1991 Roman/Marlena reunite

Jan-May 1992 Isabella/John get married, Brady is born, she dies.  Roman is doing his undercover work.

May 1992-Oct 1992 Marlena is involved with John and Brady, but her story mostly revolves around Roger and Stella's growing jealousy of her.  Roman and Marlena start having issues because Roman wants her to step back from Roger and her work and reconnect with him.  They have a huge blowout before the Pit and Roman just accepts Marlena is on this business trip for weeks, but John is suspect.  The more slanted writing for Roman begins.

Nov 1992-Pit.  And John of course is the one to find her and they both profess their love for one another because they think they are dying.

Dec. 1992 John and Marlena both declare their current love for one another

Feb. 1993-Affair begins

I am pretty sure the affair was Sheri Anderson and JER.

It sounds like it was quick because in actuality it was, but it was a sudden shift from John being all about Isabella to absolutely in love with Marlena.  Roman/Marlena show cracks earlier, but more because of Roman-not because Marlena had feelings for John.

• Members

When you lay it out like this it makes me think there was some moment when someone decided NO to RoMar & YES to J&M so the first thing they did, because they were smart, was to damage Roman, which would accomplish the set-up for John to pull ahead. A very calculated plan that they implemented over a number of months. Does that sound like what may have been their strategy? And, in effect, does it explain what people call "poor writing suddenly for Roman"? 

• Members

I don't know.  I heard long ago somewhere that the plan was always for John/Marlena to have an affair (I don't have a source for this).  It would have included Isabella.  When Staci decided to leave, which I think was a bit of a surprise, the show moved full speed ahead with John/Isabella instead and put all the affair stuff on the backburner.  Even with that plan the show could have shown Roman/Marlena struggling a bit more and John/Marlena having lingering feelings.

I tend to think it became an idea after Staci decided to leave when Drake would be without a love interest.  I would suspect JER was responsible for the shift in Roman's writing.  I don't think Roman was painted as the bad guy exactly, John and Marlena's actions just became almost justified or unavoidable. 

To be honest, I wouldn't say Wayne's return was a complete flop, but none of his stories post-return were very good.  I think John still had a bigger fanbase and it was easier to drop Roman in the end.

• Members

Thank you for your reply. I wish we knew more about BTS at that time. For me the Titan bonk will never seem either justified or unavoidable. And the fact that Marlena tried to save the marriage even after the sexual infidelity tells me that it wasn't unavoidable, that she regretted it at that time. 

Now I would like to say something to Vee & I need you to quote it so he will see it. Thanks. Sorry to put you in an awkward position. 

Vee, I'm completely fine with being blocked by you. But, I would ask you then NOT to post about me. IOW, either engage with me, or don't. Not something unfair where you take pot shots at me. I would appreciate it. And, with this, I will just let you alone, completely. 

• Members

@Donna L. BridgesI wasn't saying Marlena didn't regret it.  I was more thinking how the audience would perceive it.  It became much more sympathetic than a casual affair.  It also showcased more passion and romance than Roman/Marlena had at that moment, as they were shown as pretty strained at the time.  I am not saying they weren't wrong or didn't destroy lives, but they both were given a pretty strong point of view on it being true love.