DAYS: Behind the Scenes, Articles/Photos

• Members

Oh, see, we've got to a better place & even if not, we can laugh at it! In common, in like: WN, LR, RKK, VM I guess, DH, ED, ... It's okay that you don't like Crystal as a lot of us do & we've got her covered. They really did make it the Carly show. And, people used to whine her name, KerLEeeee, it would set my teeth on edge. Stacy is better at Susan than she is at Kristen, which is strange. I think it's a disservice to the character & the fans, just like having RS & LD stand in for Vivian for awhile. Not cool with that, not copasetic. I was fine with Cady McClain & I am prepared for a Hope recast. I don't know if anyone cares anymore that something could be a disservice to a character.

Edited by Tonksadora
fix the quote attributions

• Replies 6.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

I think Bo/Carly got some great writing and the coupling was set up well. Carly was just suddenly everywhere all the time! Although I think 1992 was an awful year for Days.  Aside from being the Carly show, there was bratty, new, Carrie, the John/Romulus plot, the Hawk/Jen/Jack thing, Bo being gone, bad teens (Faith/Tanner), Roman undercover as Mrs. Doubtfire, Kayla/Shane, etc. etc. etc.  Yuck!  It didn't ramp up until Izzy B croaked and Stella chucked Marlena into a pit.  I know there were major behind the scenes changes but it's so hard to watch overall.  The show turned it around quick, by Feb 93 things are happening and gelling.

Stacy is better as Susan and that's not a weird take.  Although the writing for her Kristen has been bonkers-Eileen can walk in and it all makes sense.  It's a very stark difference.  

Kristen probably belongs in the thread of characters that can't be recast just because the original actress is so iconic and tied to the role.  

That's how I feel about Brenda on GH.  You could recast because it's been so long and you could find someone, but no matter how good they are my affection is more for the actress in the role than the actual role, you know?

Edited by carolineg

• Members

Hated NuCarrie, mocked John/Romulous, had blocked out Hawk & now you've ruined it!, Mrs. Doubtfire, Faith & Tanner, groan. I really mostly recall making fun of the show which is never a good sign. Online fans can be so vicious when they're in the mode to ridicule. (And, so good at it, and I am including myself as being bad to do it.)

Lessee, Kristen the character that cannot be recast but has been! :trumpet fanfare:

What I think about BrendaAndSonny, that's one word, is that it was propaganda & they brainwashed everyone. We were like fuzzy little goslings & they imprinted on us & the very idea of BrendaAndSonny will forever seem somehow dreamy.

• Members

That's when the Torres family set off a bomb at some party (I forget what it was for, but it was at Wings). I've always found it interesting how it actually set up story for much of the next year or so.

Since the hospital was short staffed Chip was forced to operate on Julie who'd been severely injured. Unfortunately a waiter from the party died while Chip was preoccupied with Julie. The waiter of course was Dean Lombard and his death lead to the Lombards filing suit against the hospital. This of course would eventually lead to Roger running over Kimberly (triggering her DID storyline) and Stella trapping Marlena in the Pit. The lawyer representing the Lombards was Lisanne Gardner, who would eventually get murdered by Nicky.

This was also when Shane became paralyzed.

Edited by Dion

• Members

Yeah Neil sold Blondies to Nick who renamed it Wings.

I can't remember exactly how Julie became Nick's business partner - I think it may have been possibly something to do with Doug and Julie still owning the land Wings stood on and were thus Nick's landlords, so Julie was able to insert herself into the business upon her return to Salem, but I could be totally imagining that and be mistaken lol.

• Members

See, I've always thought that Shenanigans begat Blondie's, which begat Wings, which begat...well, I stopped keeping track after that...and that Doug's Place (or, the "By the Lake" version) was just gone at some point, like the Body Connection, or Suzanne Rogers' original cheekbones.

Edited by Khan

• Members

Here's the episodes where the set changed its name:

4733...6/15/84:

Cast: Mickey, Maggie, Liz, Abe, Tony, Roman, Chris, Anna, Melissa, Pete, Tess, Carlo, Daphne, Speed, Barney, Dave, Marty, Frank/Undercover Cop, Mr. Inglesby/Shopkeeper, Denise Corrington, Viper, Viperette, Breakdancer # 1, Breakdancer # 2, Cop # 1, Cop # 2.

Sets: Penthouse, Blondie’s (formerly Doug’s Place), Shenanigans, Alley Behind Shenanigans, Viper Hangout, Undercover Cop Car, Riverfront.

5998...5/12/89:

Cast: Adrienne, Alice, April, Cal, Calliope, Diana, Eugene, Eve, Jack, Jennifer, Jerry, Jo, Julio, Justin, Kayla, Kimberly, Marcus, Mike, Neil, Nick, Patch, Roman, Shane, Tom, Dave, Earl/Duke (FBO), Marty/oc, Doyle, Admiral Perry/penguin.

Sets: Wings (formerly Blondie's), Corelli Mansion Living Room & Foyer, Roman's Living Room & Exterior, Cheatin' Heart, Hawaiin Heliport, Donovan Mansion Basement, Penthouse Living Room, Curtis Study.

• Members

If I remember correctly, Shenanigans became Alice's Restaurant No. 1 around 1991 or so and was phased out soon after, I'm guessing because the Brady Pub became the new casual dining hangout set.

Tuscany became Alice's Restaraunt No. 2 (the country-western bar) sometime during Reilly 2.0. I remember Tuscany being phased in around 1999 or so (and was clearly established by the time of the John-Roman-Brady catfight), after years of The Penthouse Grille, which had succeeded Wings as the upscale dining hangout set.