• DRW50

• DramatistDreamer

• Soapsuds

• P.J.

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

That's true.

It looks like this is around the time Paul died and Dan was critically ill. It's interesting to actually get to see this. I wonder how viewers felt at the time. It must have been like a slap in the face.

• Members

Thanks. I wonder if this Dr. Sawyer was an important character or not. And if the nurse was anyone important.

Was this when the show was live, or was it live on tape by this time?

I just realized this is the first time I've ever actually watched anything with Dan Stewart.

• Members

Last part. It's tough seeing Dan's mental breakdown. I wonder what his story was right after this. Did he just leave town? I know Colenback was fired and didn't return until Irna was gone.

I wonder who played the doctor.

• Members

These clips are amazing! This is shortly after I first started watching the show. Of course, I was in junior high so only could watch it during school breaks. John Colenback was my favorite Dan Stewart. This is my favorite style of soap, with realistic character interaction and conversations. I wonder if most of today's audience would appreciate this type of storytelling because since the 80s people have come to expect action-type stories, with actors looks being more valued than their acting ability?

• Members

I think there's still an audience for this, but everyone assumes there isn't, because the steady diet of "snarkiness", cynicism, and action is what is assumed to be the ideal. This is the type of thing that would probably work well on a websoap format or on some sort of niche cable channel (like IFC) and then move up over time.

I thought John was pretty good in this episode, especially the breakdown scenes.