As The World Turns Discussion Thread

• Members

Hello there lovers... As it seems... ATWT is the only soap I haven't tried and watched and I am in my goal for 2024 to watch multiple soaps at the same time... I am already watching Bold, Days, Guiding light and GH classics.. and am looking forward to try ATWT - I haven't seen even an episode... OLTL is definitely not my cup of tea from the episodes I have tried.

If some good person can help me - what year should I start with... are there complete years available somewhere... are there enough on youtube.

I will be very appreciative for any help! 

Thank you!

Also, am I in for a great soap? 

• Replies 15.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• DRW50

• DramatistDreamer

• Soapsuds

• P.J.

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

The BEST! The absolute BEST! I miss it so, so much!!! This is a playlist of 1987! And this is a playlist for some of 1986. 

Please register in order to view this content

And this is the era of Robert Calhoun (executive producer) & the ever-infamously talented Douglas Marland (head writer). Enjoy!

• Members

And Robert Calhoun & his partner Farley Granger were out & proud long before anyone called it "being out". They simply lived their lives together, wrote a book together, ... really remarkable people. Farley, before he met Robert, was out as a bisexual I think as early as the 50s. (Off the top of my head.) Farley was an actor in films but also on ATWT

• Members

@Althea Davis  I would suggest watching the 2 weeks in April 1985 that were professionally released. It introduces Julianne Moore and leads up to Bob & Kim's wedding. It's a pretty perfect place to start, imo. And then, yes, definitely start with '86 - essentially half of each year from '86-'91 exist. '92-'96 are spotty. There's half of '97 and then, beginning with late June '98, essentially every episode exists. If not, soapcentral's website has recaps of every episode from Oct '96.

Edited by adrnyc

• Members

@Althea Davis  I had another thought. Somewhere, a few pages later into this section of the forum, @Brolden has put together a list of every episode that exists on YT. It's called "As The World Turns Full Episode List" I believe. Not every episode is always included in the playlists you'll find on YT. His painstaking efforts to list them all was an immense help to me as I went through the 80s/90s, and now continue to go through the '00s.

• Members

I know this one used to be up as I recognize it well, but I don't think it is at the moment.

They also uploaded an episode that turns out was already available but was harder to find as the date wasn't given on the original upload. It's February 5, 1982:

Those Margo/Mr. Big/Tom scenes are so loopy and are played like everyone involved was dealing with carbon monoxide poisoning. Odd stuff. I rarely say Justin Deas is the calming presence in a scene...

I do love the scene where Ellen refuses to put up with John's digs or his attempts to backtrack. When I complain about Hogan Sheffer and Hunt Block's Craig and the one-sided writing that always made sure we remembered the "man with balls" won out, scenes like this are what I wanted to see and never got. Ellen may be a hypocrite or do-gooder to people, and John may be "real," but she was still allowed to give him hell. 

Edited by DRW50