Top Posters In This Topic

• DRW50

• DramatistDreamer

• Soapsuds

• P.J.

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

Martha is a bit of a limited actress, I certainly don't consider her a master thespian or anything. But in terms of playing spoiled, immature, idiotic, selfish, uptight, yet strangely lovable Lily she took the cake. She WAS Lily and I couldn't fully accept anybody else in the role. She was like that annoying little sister who made the same stupid mistakes over and over that you couldn't help but adore. Martha as Rose was WAY too over the top for me though.

Edited by juppiter

• Members

I think she did well at playing certain aspects of Lily, it's just that what she played seemed to become increasingly tired as she and the character aged. They should have focused more on her complex relationships with the Snyders, instead of writing most of them out. I don't think she was as good as the years went by at playing Lucinda's daughter - i think Heather and Noelle Beck got that part of the character, even though Martha obviously had a much stronger bond with Liz Hubbard.

• Members

I'd love to see me some Lily vs Barbara. Like I said I personally loved Heather as Lily. She could be a total bitch, yet sympathetic and everything else thats left. Martha's Lily could never play a bitch...lol..nor could Noelle's Lily. The well rounded Lily was Heather's version. It took me a while to warm up to Heather's Lily but once i did I thought she was awesome as Lily. I actually felt bad when I heard the news she was leaving and Martha was returning.

Roger you have to give us some Barbara vs Lily scenes in a possible Barbara release DVD. I love the way Lily was railroading Barbara yet acting so innocent...lol

• Members

The problem with Rose is that she was conceived as a short term character, a non-character, the anti-Lily. And in that role, she succeeded. During the initial storyline, which went on wayyyyyy too long and was dragged out seemingly forever but overall I enjoyed, she served as the voice for the audience. All the things that we the audience had noticed that was absurd about Lily, Rose commented on. Her best line was, "Your mom gives you a beautiful necklace and is falling all over herself apologizing, saying, 'I know you don't like presents.' What's the matter with you? Ya don't like presents?" After that storyline, she should have been written out. She served her purpose, Lily had grown, the audience was satisfied that its complaints about Lily had finally been addressed, etc. But then they chose to make her the star of the show for the next three years, and she would. not. die. But when she did, oh, was it glorious...

Funny thing is, Leah Laiman is despised as "Lethal Leah," but she hated the Rose/Lily storyline and wrote it against her will. Maybe she is smarter than we think.

Edited by juppiter

• Members

Leah Laiman is someone whose understanding of soap opera far exceeds her actual writing abilities.

And you're right about Rose. She worked better as a short-term character. If you have to rewrite history in order to shoehorn your character's doppelganger onto the canvas, something's wrong.

• Members

I liked Rose, and I thought the rewrite made sense, compared to many (Iva was likely to be out of it at birth and only remember one child). They just didn't know what stories to tell with her. I would have written more with Iva, recast Josh, had some drama, and then used Rose as more of a recurring character. She shouldn't have been a romantic heroine.