The Suds Report 7/30/10

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I think Jamey's a really funny guy, and often right on. I think he means well. But Jesus Christ - this is why soaps have no real advocates of weight, or respected independent media. That [!@#$%^&*]. Right there. Cliques and infighting. Nelson Branco surely is a psycho, but with Twitter, do people always have to, like, lose their minds - I - I just - what - somebody post that Wendy Williams .GIF for me, I don't know how to do anything.

I mean, last I checked, I didn't see any primetime hacks - but respected longtime hacks like Tom Shales, or Lisa de Moraes or whoever - in some David vs. Dorian social networking feud. If DC and co. really want to help this genre, and I'd like to believe they could, they need to get out of these weird foxholes and Net trench wars.

• Members

Who knows? This is what happens when you get into this internecine online media [!@#$%^&*], it goes up its own ass. I understand the same sort of thing happens with geek film sites - people getting salty because they didn't get a set visit on some big geek film, so they pan the press materials. That's not to say this is what happened here, this is different, it's personal issues which should have nothing to do with the work or, IMO, the public image the brand or site or whatever should portray.

I'm thinking 1996.

• Members

They did, but I think a falling out started around the time of the Kish-gate stuff. Nelson said Kish was fired cause of unprofessionalism of Brett & Scott, while Jamey stood by his story that ABC was blaming the ratings on Kish & the unprofessionalism rumors that Nelson was saying were untrue. From Jamey's tweets sounds like things went down hill from there.

• Members

I feel like I'm back in junior high. Not in a childish, bitchy way, but in a two people who are all talk but no action kind of way. It's like...none of then gon POP nothin, so it really don't matter...

But I agree with Vee. Any integrity DC has just disappears with those tweets. I'm not a huge WLS fan, but at least they know better than to get tied up in this type of drama. Roger can't hang with these bitches, and he should feel good about that. Just ignore it. Ignore, ignore, ignore. You gain nothing from going back and forth.

• Members

They seemed to share information and a general POV for a very long time, until they didn't. I always thought it was a mistake for DC to hitch themselves to Branco's, let's face it, dubious star. Still, keep it private and stay cool, I say.

I don't think DC is without integrity. I think they just need to clean up the mess and move on without any further Internet drama. This is always the problem, IMO, with online media - finding a way to bridge the gap between just foolin' on the Internet and being actual journalists. Then again, so-called "actual journalists" (Branco, etc.), online and off, have their own backbiting and unprofessionalism in the real world every single day; I've seen it first-hand recently in my own work. And witness the Washington Post, etc. fighting with readers about content and fact-checking and such. So maybe I'm just William Holden in Network here, naive.

• Members
Well I never looked to Daytime Confidential or Jamey Giddens for that matter for integrity. I think they're both shameless daytime media whores who have or once had scoops. Once they dry up, it will be another sensational blogger or MB poster who will dish all the current dirt on daytime.

Not a fan of Roger's incessant pimping of Nuke, but he and the staff at WLS do more for soaps than any of them put together. They get interesting people to interview, even if they lick their assholes during such interviewing.

• Members

I agree, it's not like he went off in a post on the DC site or in a podcast, he did it on twitter. The Daytime Confidential site is still professional I'd say. It's breaks a lot of news. Jamey's story about ABC cutting 20 episodes got picked up by some mainstream press. The thing is with twitter, separating personal from professional life. Makes it quite easy to make a fool of yourself for all the world to see.

• Members

Yes, it's good he didn't do it on the site, of course. The problem is that people follow Jamey's twitter for news from him as an online journalist. He knows that. Yet this [!@#$%^&*] still gets aired out there. This is a problem a lot of people, journalists, celebrities, whoever, seem to have on twitter. Who can forget Brandon Buddy's late night hacker attack?

Archived