The Soapgeist: July 5, 2010

• Members

They never even bothered. I think they must have had some sort of plans which went nowhere for a rivalry with Chompers over his territory, Chloe, so then they just ended up with the dull Riggs story which went nowhere. They gave up a long time ago. As always they know a lot of the soap press will blame the actor.

I just wonder how long it will be before the same happens to Eden Reigel...

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I loved the AB tribute. Tony Orlando and Chubby Checker vs Kassie DePaiva and god know what other daytime songtresses are in a sadistic mood? This is a no brainer. If the argument is "I would rather have no emmys than the one put on with Dick Clark and Blue Man Group" that makes no sense. It was so easy to just not watch and let those who don't mind stuff like that enjoy the show. Were there things I wish were included? Yes, a memorial clip to the dead actors of the past year would have been nice (and there were a bunch of huge people who died this year in daytime). I would have done without the new awards for best talk show educational myself. Why do they need a distinct category from Best Talk Show? That was a total waste of 2 minutes right there.

• Members

Even if Tony Orlando wanders around with no voice and without the backing singers who helped carry him in the first place? He might have had more fame than daytime singers but I don't know if they could have sounded much worse.

I don't think that the parade of bad facelifts brought in for tribute videotapes were all that thrilling either.

• Members

I cannot knock "Yellow Ribbon". It doesn't make a difference if he can sing as well as he used to, it is a song that makes people happy, he is the one attached to it, and I cut him more of a break than I do the people who usually sing at the emmys. Vanessa Williams did a good job last year, but I enjoyed Tony more than KDP, Lucci, Eva Larue, Breyer, and god knows who else has attacked us over the years. As for Chubby, I would have preferred "Lets Twist Again" but he did a good job even if he can't twist anymore.

But anyway, it was a harmless 20 mins that was sort of entertaining. The Daytime Emmys are not real awards anyway, so it doesn't have to be as serious as The Oscars. This show gives awards to Best Younger Actor, and how ridiculous is that? And then to add insult to insult the younger actors aren't even that young and some are married. Do I need to see a serious ceremony attached to Julie Marie Berman receiving an award for being a child when she is in fact married and probably a year shy of motherhood? The awards don't deserve the respect some seem to feel they should have. They are shlock, random naming of shows on some arbitrary basis that has no logic whatsoever. Is it really possible Ellen had the best talk show 10 years in a row? Seems unlikely.

• Members

I'll even give a lot of the live entertainment a pass - it was great to see those acts and remember AB....

BUT....

Kill the screen presentations from the others. What was the point - either be there or not. I remember Lexi Ainsworth said how excited she was to see Cher, and what did it turn out to be? Nothing worth noting. But the worst was the "Hail Regis" stuff thrown in amongst everything else. If Letterman needed to be on, do a top 10 list of something on Daytime, not Regis himself. In a 12 month period soaps produce enough fodder for his limited humour to exploit.

I also don't buy this "rather this than nothing" argument. It's such a sell-out. If they were to put effort into a decent award show, remember our history and celebrating what makes Daytime significant, then advertise the hell out of that, I think we would also get decent ratings. Daytime isn't dead, it's just different. This isn't Oscar or Tony level stuff - people leave their homes to watch movies and theatre. This is daytime, where people wrap up in a cozy blanket, pull up a snack, sit down with family and watch characters who have been part of our lives for decades.

• Members

Definitely agree with All My Shadows. Totally channeling some word and +1's in that direction.

God, the one year they did the Craft Awards online, that sh!t was awesome. Completely unfiltered, completely chillax. Hell, they started the feed before the awards began and you could hear a PA in the background telling someone they couldn't drink until the show started.

Give me a dinner at the Hilton with cussing soap stars, wars of words between Today Show and GMA producers, and James Hyde urging the "Love is Ecstasy" songwriters to come up on stage because this is "the first Emmy we've ever won" anyday over The Blue Man Group presenting the Emmy for Talk Show Informative.

This isn't surprising. You've always had a flair for the...retroactive.

The complaint is that hardly any of Dick Clark's tribute and especially these stupid Vegas acts had anything to do with ANY daypart of the genre. And some people do watch Talk Shows. I find that way more relevant to Daytime Television and an awards ceremony for daytime than FatAss Checkers doing The Twist.

You've missed the entire point, but then again...NOOOOOT surprised. <_<

No one is asking for an ultra stuffy, über-serious awards ceremony. Ask any of us our favorite Emmy moments and most of them involve bitchy acceptance speeches or gaffes. We get this is the Daytime Emmy Awards.

I think most fans(especially soap fans) are upset that this was "their" night and something non-daytime or non-soap related ate the ceremony whole. At an age where soaps are doing everything to alienate their fanbase with asinine stories or showing utter contempt for their fans, we wanted at least one night where we could celebrate "US." Our daypart. Was there no other way to do this? This guy wants to talk about respecting soaps, respecting all of daytime as a community, and he completely cheapens this ceremony by letting the Vegas Tourism Board spunk all over our telecast with crap no one who watches an awards ceremony for daytime television give a flying fig about? What's next, Romanovich hosts the Emmys in Branson, hosted by all the Osmonds or Yakov?

And to whoever said they get more advertising dollars from CBS than the CW, the production company that put on the Emmys "bought" two hours of programming from CBS. So, the production company, not CBS, sold and profited from the adtime if I'm getting my information right.

What remos said.

• Members

1. No sh!t. But leave it to Miss Nellie to love giving hype rimjobs.

2. Oh it was definitely in the first quarter. Julie Pinson won supporting actress, then the Dick Clark tribute started, I walked across the street to grab my pizza and by the time I came back, it was still going. We just ate and rolled our eyes.

• Members

Yes, but what does any of this have to do with a tribute to Dick Clark? Other than he once sang on Bandstand, it seemed completely superfluous. If you sing a song just to sing it then it loses its power, especially when it's not sung very well.

Dick Clark did a lot for artists like Frankie Avalon, Fabian, Bobby Rydell. I'm not a big fan of theirs but they probably would have been a more appropriate tribute. Frankie Avalon apparently couldn't be there but the others might have.

And I know this is another topic but why the hell do those Jersey Boys show up EVERYWHERE? They sound awful and they don't even sound like Frankie Valli.

• Members

Yes, Carl... you do make very good points... but Tony originally broke big with his appearances on American Bandstand in 1963 when he had his first hit:

However, as far as Bandstand performers that are close to Clark... the bette choice would have been Connie Francis.

• Members

Now THAT I would have loved to see. In the background I can hear... "Evening shadows make me blue...."

But unless she was playing Vegas in June, she wasn't asked.

Thanks for the clips, btw. You do realize that's aging some of us to even know who she is..... a time when a song was sold by the singer, not the dance moves!

• Members

Sadly, your'e right... I totally believe that playing Vegas in June was the pre-requisite. I do think Chubby Checker did GREAT, however. He sounded good, moved good, looked well.. and pulling up La Looch at the end and picking her up was cute as hell and totally fun!

Archived