The Soapgeist: July 5, 2010

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

More like four channels. But, hey, thanks for playing.

And I don't see a need for a trip to Best Buy. Not that you asked or really give a damn, but I have a damn nice TV with an off-switch with an HDMI cable that full-screens YouTube Clips, Hulu, CBS.com, entertainment of the adult variety, and anything else my heart desires. Why pay for cable when I can, essentially, make my own channel?

That's your choice if you want to pretend to be beautiful and dirty rich, but some of us don't see a need for it. Those of us who have "cut the cord" are thankful for it.

But this is typical of you Scott...I mean, Scryber96. Leave it to you to bait people instead of posting something worthwhile to the discussion.

• Members

Yes, he did impact Daytime, a lot. It actually should have been a lifetime award, however the show was honoring Bandstand, a staple of daytime for many, many years.

The show did a good job, IMHO. It is the DAYTIME emmys. It honored daytime. If this was the soap opera awards it would have sucked, however it isnt. The show did a good overall job. Dick Clark, Agnes, 9 emmys for soap opera, emmys for talk shows, game shows, etc...

Was it Vegas heavy? Sure was. I see what it bothered some people, i guess, however it was a cross promotion between Las Vegas & Daytime. Las Vegas rolled out so much press and coverage for the emmys. Every paper there covered the event, they had posters, billboards, adds on slots, all over about daytime emmys. They did more to promote this show than anyone else did.

Now no, the show wasnt perfect. No clips, no in memory of, etc.. but i liked the entertainment. Yes, i would rather watch The Lion King than listen to some annoying diva from daytime try to sing. This is the trend for all award shows tho, did you see the Tonys? It is so hollywood and who is famous based now. Because they need ratings.

Hopefully next year the show is this good and the stars enjoy it as much as they did. many were overheard talking about how this was the best emmys in years, and no not newbies. vets. Its diff in person than on tv tho.

I am highly amused at people claiming to be forced to watch it tho, really? Who forced you? You were forced to watch it all to see the soapy parts? Well not only does that explain why you hated it (again, its not the soap opera awards) but since you are on the net i assume you know of youtube. Skip the awards and watch the parts you want there.

• Members
AGAIN...people are missing my posts!

Where were the Children's Categories? The AfterSchool/Drama Specials? I don't watch the Daytime Emmys for them, but some people do. Hell, Stockard Channing won one year. There's your "star power" right there. No need to bring in has-beens to a ceremony when some of them are nominated in the categories. They were even considering cutting the Younger Actor/Actress Category too.

Good for them. But WE, the wittle people, weren't in Vegas to enjoy the sh*tfest program. So give me a f*cking break. If they wanted to promote Vegas, they could have used our daytime stars in the ceremony. Bert and Ernie on the Vegas strip...Elmo pulling down the slots...Big Bird picking up a hooker..."Greenlee" and "Ryan" at the Blackjack Table...Dr. Oz giving hookers STD tests. Using "The Blue Man Group" and "Cirque Du Soleil" was a slap in the face to me as a fan of daytime television.

But Chubby Checkers? Tony Orlando? Marie Osmond? On what planet are they "famous now"?

And how is that a huge ratings draw? Four million viewers is good on a summer night, but not outstanding. Let's get that straight.

Of course, because they're all too concerned with getting drunk and coked and licking everyone's ass instead of seeing the unmitigated hot mess that was before them.

Yeah, I said I was forced to watch it because I wanted to know who won, I wanted to see acceptance speeches, I didn't want to change the TV to miss anything, and I didn't feel like I had to sit through a bunch of bullsh*t to watch that live.

And as I WAS SAYING in the Emmys thread here, I watched for stuff other than the soaps. I am a huge game show nerd, I love Dr. Oz and was happy when he won(even though his cute self wasn't there to accept which made me sad inside), and quite frankly, suggesting that "I" only watched for the soapy stuff not only displays your ineptitude, but it clearly highlights that you weren't paying attention to what anyone said in this thread or any of the others.

I'm not trying to be a bitch, but please don't make assumptions as to why "I" hated the Emmy Awards. The consensus is "If you hated it, you shouldn't have watched it" or "They have to do this to survive, so suck it up and deal with it." I respect that you liked it, but that doesn't mean I have to. But please, do not put words into my mouth or anyone else's about why we didn't like it. Period.

• Members

How many Emmys have had daytime actors singing anyway? It's not like their had to be a choice between Susan Lucci warbling and Tony Orlando...warbling.

If the Tonys came on and barely featured Broadway while having a lengthy tribute to the Burt Reynolds Dinner Theater, then I'm sure they would also get some criticism. The Tonys focus more on Hollywood than they once did but that's true for Broadway itself.

• Members

ITA w/ the ideas you gave about stars out in vegas, that would have been great! However, that doesnt promote vegas entertainment like performances form Cirq, Lion King, etc that are in vegas.

They were famous when bandstand was big, and they were there to tribute bandstand.

nobody said it was the most outstannding ratings ever and the show was brilliant and the ratings proved it. But they were good, very good actually for the daytime emmys in todays world.

Right. Thats wht they liked it. It had nothing to do with it be entertaining, because god forbid anyone ever find anything entertainig that you hate.

I never put any words in your mouth. I made a post adressing several things that were said, giving my view of the other side. You obviously took it personally. I am sorry if you felt as if i was attacking you, putting words in your mouth, putting you down, because that isnt what i was doing. Period.

• Members

I think like 3, maybe 4, of the last 5.

Burt Reynolds Dinner Theater has NOTHING to do with Daytime. Dick Clark & American Bandstand have a lot to do with daytime. Huge difference. And the emmys focused less on soaps, as does daytime tv.

• Members

None of the people in the tribute had anything to do with daytime, other than occasionally appearing on Bandstand. That has as much to do with daytime as Burt Reynolds Dinner Theater has to do with the Tonys.

• Members

It didn't seem like much of a tribute to me. They just sang songs that they have sung a zillion times already and most of them barely mentioned the show. They didn't even sing Bandstand Boogie, and I don't even think Barry Mannilow mentioned it.

I would agree, aside from Drew Tyler Bell and Billy Miller. I don't remember who JMB was against so I can't really say there.

• Members

I'm sorry, but twenty f'n minutes for Bandstand, which has been off the air for over 20 years, and ONE FREAKING MINUTE for World Turns? That SAYS IT ALL!!!!!!! And they had to fight to get the minute! Five minutes for each would have been sufficient, especially considering the AB tribute was extremely random. Since when do they just randomly honor shows from the past for no particular occasion? Might as well do a Ricki Lake tribute, then.

Re: BMG, CDS, and TLK...if the Primetime Emmys cut out the TV movie/mini-series categories in favor of performances by Kitty Wells, Aretha Franklin, and Ke$ha, there'd be all kinds of outrage. It's tacky as hell.

• Members

It most certainly does, it most certainly does.

The thing about Dick Clark, bless his heart, is that the industry will give him his propers regardless. Whether it's the primetime Emmys, the TV Land Awards, or any number of cable TV retrospective shows. For a soap, the daytime Emmys is pretty much it save for some clips on CBS.com or whatever network of origin. I would never intimate that the man isn't deserving of his recognition, but his TV iconography has transcended daytime, so I will say that it didn't have to be quite so long while ATWT, GL, and the criminally neglected AW got paltry Emmy tributes the years of their cancellations. Fair is fair, you gotta spread the wealth here.

• Members

Agreed, and I think that's one of the biggest reasons people have reacted this way to the Vegas Emmys. There was more effort put into David Letterman's Regis Salute than the ATWT recognition.

The irony in that of course - ATWT actually IS a CBS show, while Bandstand was ABC's.

Archived