Michelle Kwan

Jonathan

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I am a little sad, but... I'm also not.

She shouldn't be trying to go to the Olympics this year. Not because she isn't a good skater -- she's a legend; she's also probably my favorite skater ever -- but because her time is up. She can't keep up with the newest crop of female skaters on a technical level, especially with the new judging system, and chances are that she will not medal in Torino. So I wish she'd just have retired after last season.

Still, not getting to see her skate at Nationals will be really strange.

• Members

Slutskaya's been more than holding her own in international competition this season, though. Kwan, I love her, but she's not going to do a triple-triple combo, and her programs are starting to seem way too homogenous.

But Danni, you're totally right -- there is no way that they won't send the reigning national champ to the Olympics. She still has a better chance of medaling than, say, Kimmie Meissner or Alissa Czisny.

• Members

I've always been a huge Kwan fan, and I disagree that her time has passed. She's still young and she's still good, why go professional now? I just feel sorry for her that they changed the scoring system, since she obviously hates the new scoring system and has trouble skating to it.

I would love to see her go to Torino and take the gold there. It's been a long time coming.

• Members

I think Irina's suited for the CoP. What she lacks in artistry, she makes up for in biellmanns. This does make Kwan's situation all that much tougher since her program hasn't been judged under the new system.

I think the field is tough that I don't see Kimmie or Alissa making the top 10 in the Olympics.

Archived