AMC: Thursday 6/3/10

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Frankly, I want Marissa to skirt the edges of duplicity in tangling with Annie, but reach a point where she realizes that no man, not even JR "Apple Bottoms" Chandler, is worth lowering oneself to crazy Annie's level. If JR and Marissa's love means anything at all, then it (and they) will weather Annie's machinations. If not, then it wasn't meant to be, Marissa slaps the hell out of JR after she finally realizes he's having an affair with Annie, and she walks the [!@#$%^&*] out. For good.

• Members

I agree with the sentiment and if she pulls it off I say great for her, it's just that as of right now I'm not sold on her hints of bitch and sass. If the actress is playing it with only half the lid off and she's working up to something I applaud her genius, but I don't think that's the case. And as much as I don't care about the character I would hurt for the actress if they blonde bombsehlled Marissa with some recast, OUCH. Not like having Scott and J.R. drool over Annie doesn't hurt enough already. It's tough though. Not every woman has to find her strength by becoming a bitch, not every woman should be the bad girl, it's just that Marissa is majorly handicapped by being so dishwater dull. I've seen so little of her work during that Golden era so I don't know why she keeps coming to mind, but Jacqueline Courtney, she had that inherent sexiness, that *thing* that made a whiner victim still so appealing to Steve, the vibe that while still being a good girl she could throw it down in the bedroom, holding her own vs. Rachel (I think Vail Bloom may have this more than the current actress). Mariss doesn't even have the benefit of being J.R.'s great love.

• Members

I agree. I wrote off MCE as nothing but a RB/Greenlee placeholder. MCE resembled RB, but Annie was bland. She was neutral. She was a victim who depended on Ryan. She babysat all the Slater/Lavery kids, while Zendall and Ryan had all the drama. She was just... there. It was NOTHING against MCE, because I always felt she was a capable actress, but the Annie character (who didn't even have a last name for a WHILE in the end credits) was absolutely lifeless.

Then, Annie went cRaZy... MCE sank her teeth into it and next thing you know, Annie becomes such a polarizing character on the canvas.

I disagree. I think it's an attempt to distance Greenlee from David. Yeah, let's just forget that David was done with Pine Valley and wanted to leave the country... and that Greenlee insisted they go back to Pine Valley as this kick ass power couple. The fact that David's plan to ground Erica's plane went wrong changes all of that, and somehow, he's this horrible, horrible man who doesn't care about Erica's life at all and is obsessed with Greenlee. It's a deliberate attempt at manipulating the viewing audience... and some are totally buying it. :) They're going into StepLee territory again so they can have Rylee. They view Ryan as this bastion of honor, and in order for Greenlee to be worthy of Ryan, they have to have her somehow forget that this was her idea. You notice how it was cleverly crafted that Greenlee was just too inept to figure out how to cook the books... and then David comes along, cooks them in five seconds. When she finds out that David had Erica's plane rigged, Greenlee immediately goes into "well, I never wanted Erica DEAD!" No shit, bitch. Neither did David.

Like I said, it's careful manipulation by an obvious writing team.

I agree with this. Fighting for JR?

Um... why? :unsure:

Marissa, he tried to kill your twin sister... the one that he loved so much. Get over it. He's using you as a placeholder, anyway.

• Members

I remember I wasn't even watching AMC like talking about around that time, but I knew that there was a new character named Annie involved with Ryan. It's just that every time I watched, she was surrounded with children and I didn't know that this was Annie. I thought she was one of the random dayplayer babysitters the show sprouts up every now and then.

• Members

I referred to Annie as Blandie when she first debuted. That only lasted a short amount of time as I loved her once she and Ryan started getting together. I was afraid they'd get rid of her when RB returned bc of the way it seemed they were trashign Annie and making her a killer. Thank god she is still around and I now see her as a viable character without her Ryan connection. She's come into her own and made her own ties to the town and show. Before, if you asked me to describe her in 5 years, she'd probably be a blip on the radar like Tina and Becca before her, but now she has placed her stamp on AMC history so that when she leaves she will be one of the more memorable characters from the last decade

• Members

Exactly! There is that indisputable time in AMC's history where MCE's Annie was the life of this show. I know it sounds like hyperbole, but I believe it. There was that time in late 2008 when every time she came on screen, I wondered, "What the hell is Annie gonna do now?" I wanted to see what she would do and I wanted to see how she'd maneuver her way out of it.

For real. Revealed to have "kidnapped" her own daughter via a phone call she's making while lounging in a bubble bath in Puerto Rico? And she OWNED it?! Come on, now!

However, I've always said, from the beginning... that Marissa (being Babe's twin) should be the anti-Babe. She should have a strong resemblance to David. Devious, manipulative, calculating... and I thought they were going that route when David (before knowing Marissa was his daughter) read some vibes off of her, as if she was out to use Krystal for David's money. Then she immediately became boring and saint like and forgettable.

Do we even know Tina's last name? That's how invested the show was in that boring ass character. They stepped it up and made Marissa a Chandler... so at least she'd have some kind of historical relevance to the show. If she just remained Marissa Tasker, nobody would remember her.

• Members

The thing is though, does Brittany have that spark you all saw in Annie? :unsure: If you want to see some of these things come to pass for Marissa my hunch is that a recast is necessary. What do you think, a "new" Marissa with the current actress in the role (I promise I will Google her last name after this post), a recast, no Marissa at all?

• Members

I think her last name was Harding (which I had to look up to confirm). All I remember about her is that she worked at SOS, dated Opal's son and sang Edmund's proposial to Alex with another boring forgettable character. I think her name was Tiffany??? Whatever, neither character was any interesting

Exactly which is why I suggested Vail take over the role. Today is the first day I saw potential in Marissa as a character if they had her more David like, but she really needs to be played by a new actress. The current one has no screen presence and thats very important. The character wont get a chance to make much of an impact unless she gets recasted

• Members

I can't say that I've enjoyed Marissa much because I haven't been invested in her character in any way, shape, or form. I'm not sure if this is because of Brittany Allen or because I was revolted by her relationship with her dead twin sister's husband but she doesn't do much for me. However, evil Marissa has some potential. However, can anyone really do devious with a more sexy or multidimensional flair than MCE? If not, then why bother.

On a side note, I find Brittany Allen cute at least. I don't know who Vail Bloom is but she's not cute to me.

• Members

No! The girl is a horrible actress. She's definetly a step up from Brittany Allen, but she isnt all that great. One of the most oeverrated actresses on this forum. Id cringe if she made her way to AMC. Id rather she go back to OLTL which I no longer watch

• Members

I would like it if Marissa pulled an "Annie" and became watchable but I don't expect it. I like the Amanda Setton suggestion but I doubt she'd do another soap. I know nothing about Vail Bloom but she clearly has a following. I say recast with a minority actress just for shits and giggles. Davetta Sherwood vs. MCE would be fun. :lol:

Who's Tina?

Archived