"Secret Storm" memories.

• Members

Yes he's good. I get caught up in his story, especially with the strange discussions he has with Rocket and the journalist or drug counselor. That guy is an interesting character too. Do you remember him? Apparently he was interested in Susan?

All of this seems so daring for soaps at the time.

Do you remember anything of Donna Mills or was she on when you weren't watching?

Edited by CarlD2

• Replies 817
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

Nifty nifty show! Note the camera work at the climax, going from close up of Amy back to Jimmy (very quickly--in sync with their dialogue).

As to your remark re: prayer--Yes ! that's the first thing that struck me as a Roman Catholic--it's done with such conviction, and I love the line, "I can't believe God will remember me after all these years" to which Amy replies "He always does".

You know I don't see current soaps but I am much struck by the intelligence of the dialogue in this episode. It's written by adults for adults--don't you feel like you are a secret intruder in their lives--that's what good drama does--it, (as you say) "draws you in" and yes, this show does that, which of course is the intent.

Re: Amy later. You are absolutely correct. I was only a child but anyone alive at the time was conscious of the enormous cultural cataclysm of that late 60's/early 70's. Regardless of whether one approves or disapproves--it happened and altered the social landscape within 36 months!

I came from a family that didn't approve! and I remember as a youngster, when a "high born" girl like Amy Ames would not have worn slacks, (can you imagine a world in which women may have worn slacks in the backyard or indoors, but not to the supermarket or downtown?! It existed, and the wardbrobe in this SS reflects the muted dark wools and low heeled pumps period. There was an article in the New York Times on the fashions on SS in 1964 which can now be accessed on line, and can certainly be viewed on microfilm at the library. And Amy was the hep member of the cast, (note she has already adopted her Petula Clark hair-do.)

Yes later in the series, (72-73) Amy had adopted a very Bohemian counter cultural look, (a bit Hippy-ish) with long hair and floral peasant dresses.

Re: the clothes--the still of Marjorie Gateson and Haila Stoddard featured in an earlier post in this sight, (probably early 60's--very much captures the suit/gloves/matching handbag look still prevalant at that time.

Don't remember Donna Mills till Love is a Many Splendored Thing (which I also watched) wherein she played a nun in the early episodes! a far cry from Rocket. But boy she was a looker! Reminds me very much of Nancy Barret in the 66-67 period of DS.

Seeing this show was a real kick for me!

BC

• Members

Thanks for telling me about the 1964 article. I will have to look for it.

You're right that this was on the edge of a big change in society. I'm surprised at how well they mix the two here. It's a shame soaps don't know how to do this now.

I guess you heard that Haila Stoddard passed away in February.

I didn't realize until I was reading some magazines that they eventually recast Aunt Grace. Did that bother you, or you didn't notice?

• Members

No I didn't know about Haila Stoddard--didn't see it in our newspaper here--which has become pretty poor. Yes, they re-cast Grace but it didn't work at all. She was the cynosure of the show, and when she had the stroke in 68, (although it wasn't evident yet at the time) the whole focus away from the Ames happened.

The NY Times article may well interest readers as it features a photo of the main female cast members along with a discussion of the wardrobe selection process.

BC

• Members

There was some talk here of Haila's passing, and links to some articles.

If there are any actors you want to see articles on let me know and I'll try to post some.

In the Daytime TV magazines from the early 70's they mention every few months, it seems, that Marjorie Gateson was still recovering, and her role was being held. Then over time they said she still hadn't regained her speech to where it had been before the stroke. I guess that's why they recast. They kept asking people to write her letters to show her how they cared about her. I hope that the letters helped her in some way.

• Members

enough money, I may start an acting company or a puppet theater somewhere. I'd love to do a musical - and a movie! They would be different experiences. I like the freedom to change. So I have a lot of options. " She admits that writing is very much a part of her life. Smiling in an impish, engaging way she adds: "I don't worry about having too many projects going at one time. I like it that way. I can't do just one thing. I do 'Secret Storm,' write my novel and a children's book I've started, plus an underground comic book and I enjoy writing very much. I guess I'd rather be a Jack-of-all-trades!"

Freedom to live as she chooses and concentrate on a variety of things is a recurring topic of conversation. "There was a water tower on the top of my penthouse apartment in Manhattan. A huge thing, that I was always afraid would fall, when I was out on the terrace. It was surrounded by mid-town Manhattan skyscrapers. i used to think I'd write my name, in huge letters, on the side of the tower that faced the William Morris Agency and ABC, but my attitudes have changed about my career. Now I just want the freedom to do what I want."

A rather perfect embodiment of the true feminist, Jada prefers being her own master. "I don't plan to marry again. I was married for five years, but the men and women I know now aren't into marriage at all. I like men who are challenged to find someone who's not a nincompoop." Very into women's lib, she believes that it has created a war between the sexes. "I can't accept anybody saying it's not causing a social upheaval. More women are constantly trying to better their situations, broaden their options.

"It's difficult because many men are resisting that. I was astonished a few weeks ago when a man I'd just met, who seemed sensible, said that women's skull sizes are smaller and that is why they aren't as intelligent as men." Jada, who has been earning her own living in television since she was two years old, said she didn't even bother to grace his remark with a reply. She laughs at the absurdity of it and says: "Many women have to cope with thinking like that. I feel desperately sorry for girls who allow themselves to get into that position. With my character on 'Secret Storm' I'm trying to show some of the things that women can do to help themselves. Amy is not me and I can't alter her to suit me, but to show that women can change their lives in some way, I've suggested that she can be a painter as well as a housewife. I'll ask to change lines in the script that aren't true of women in general. I had a line like that in the script the other day. Amy is having a baby on the show and I was supposed to say: 'We women get all the joy and you men get all the responsibility.' I cut that line. I don't think it's true."

Jada indicated her belief that attitudes are changing regarding woman's status. She feels that more women are willing to follow the idea that roleplaying is outdated. "I used to be more lonely than I am now. My independence is not so unusual in today's world. The men I enjoy knowing think household duties should be shared. They don't believe women should have servile attitudes." Independence to Jada is something that is often put in jeopardy by the possibility of marriage. "As long as I can marry and just let a man take care of me, the danger is there that the edge will be taken off my drive. I think that's true of all career-oriented women."

The novel Jada is writing reflects the attitudes of the liberated female, "but it's not feminist literature," she insists. "I don't believe in possessiveness. I'm not a selfless person at all. In fact I'm highly selfish. But that doesn't mean I'm not constantly changing. It doesn't mean I want to hold onto me. I believe every problem starts first with self - with me. I become more the less I try to possess.'

Her independence is evident even in Jada's philosophical nature. ALthough she has no formal religious beliefs, she says: "I believe in some sort of force. Perhaps 'energy source' would be one way of putting it. But it's difficult to talk about, because I'm changing even what I'm trying to define what it is iI believe. The whole topic reminds me of a TV poll I got in the mail. I was so happy when I got this form asking me to indicate my opinion of television programming. At last I was having my chance to say what I thought! So I would come home, turn on the set and start filling out the form. I realized my viewing habits were changing even while I was trying to tell the poll-talkers what my habits were. Instead of showing my personal preferences I was being controlled by the thing. Watching television more than I ever did, I was not presenting a true picture of my habits or taste. i finally decided the whole thing was invalid. The poll, like my philosophy, was changing constantly. it was va ery funny case of the tail wagging the dog!"

Listening to the way this petite, yet somehow sturdy, young woman charts her course through life, brings to mind the lines of the old Irish folk song "I know where I'm going." As the afternoon ends, Jada remarks: "I guess you could say I'm a variable constant." And a delightful one, that's straight on course!

- JOANNE BURKE

• Members

How things have and haven't changed.Jada's outlook seems very modern and quite 'out there' for the time.

It seems attitudes have moved on but in the last few years there seems to be a regression regarding women's roles. Looking at some 'women's magazines' today and all you see is fashion,celebrity (not about their professional acheivements,only what they're wearing and who they are dating) and finding a man and having a baby.

Wonder what Jada and other women of that time would think of all that?

• Members

Things have changed badly and keep getting worse - now Phyllis Schlafly is basically the ideal (I'm going to spend a lot of time going around telling you why you should choose not to have any control over your mind or body).

It's always interesting reading these old interviews because of the freedom of thought. I was reading one with Lynn Benesh and it was a laundry list of stuff that would never be said today and was pretty daring then as well.

I love the photo of Jada as Lone Ranger.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

I was reading a Daytime TV Stars from when Secret Storm ended. Jada Rowland talked about some of the things they'd had Amy do that were not true to her character (like being withdrawn and playing with dolls because Belle had stolen her husband). The show's last producer said he had been trying to get back to the old family drama of the best years of SS, by putting Valerie at the center of the show again. The magazine said Amy was getting back to her old self, and that the story with Laurie and Mark was good drama, but that it had let itself down again by doing the haunted house story and having Mark drink too much over his guilt at leaving the priesthood.

They also spoke with Barbara Rodell, who was essentially begging for a job. She said that before Secret Storm was canceled, they'd called her and asked her to return as Jill Clayburne.

• Members

Funny how things turn out.Had Barbara gone back to Storm,she might have missed out on playing Joyce on ATWT for many years.

The late 70's must have been a tough time for many older soap actors as there were so many firings and not much chance of hopping to another show.Wonder if Rodell and others were prepared financially and emotionally for it all.

• Members

1973 must have really hurt as about 4 soaps were cut at that time. I guess they at least knew the genre would go on (that's not happening today) but it must have hurt, and then as you said, the trend was younger and younger.

Rodell said she'd never been out of work this long before, and that her unemployment benefits ran out in 6 weeks. After that she'd be a salesgirl at Bloomingdale's. The magazine added that she may have been kidding.