Procter and Gamble Launching New Soap Opera!

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Wow, I thought this was GOOD news. :D I don't believe that P&G is directly nor entirely responsible for the creative incompetency of its shows. They could have continued to fire and rehire until they made a perfect match, but the creative folks they hire have to take some responsibility for the product they churn out. If the writers and producers of this new show can make magic, then I say more power to them.

• Members

I'm not one of the "five to six years" people (though it's not a preposterous prediction in the least), but my thing is that people complain about how much these shows have regressed and downgraded into utter bullshit, and we all KNOW that the ratings are falling more and more, but people still get upset when the networks let them go. If you haven't truly enjoyed a show in over ten years, first, why are you still watching, and second, why are you raising hell over its cancellation?

If anything, people should be utterly shocked and hopeful over the fact that P&G is connecting itself with some sort of soap-like product. There's no telling where this could to.

• Members

For years now, I have proposed the telenovela format. I think that Night Shift was a good start. People are always down on change which annoys me. The soaps simply cannot go on as they are and survive.

I'm ignoring the rest of your comment about this new soap failing. America Ferrara is a Latino woman attempting to have success in white male dominated business. I am not wishing failure on her project.

No, we are likely going to see very talented Latino actors who your beloved primarily white soaps would NEVER EVER hire because their lily white audience cannot stand diversity. I'm sorry that you are so myopic on this topic. Diversity on tv is apparently isn't on your list of things that are important.

So you think less than five years? You totally get what I am saying. I bitch about GH and OLTL and when their butts are cancelled, I'm not crying and losing my mind. They are writing themselves into cancellation.

• Members

I guess you didnt know I am a hispanic/latino male. I liked Ugly Betty....Of course I want diversity.....I'd rather P&G do a soap based on Latino's on one of the major networks. If you want to see talented Latino actors just watch the Telenovela on Univision. Some of the latin actress put some of the daytime actress to shame.

• Members

Aside from creating a network to air ATWT P&G cant do anything. CBS dropped it, nobody else seems to want it. P&G is pretty much dependent on the networks. I also dont get the whole they want out of the soap biz angle, since well.. they are doing a new soap for MTV. Maybe they dont want to be in the failing soap biz?

Of course ATWT & GL & AW & all other past soaps from P&G failed in large part because of them. But its not they were alone. Viewer ship has changed, television has changed, every genre has changed. Soaps have gone the way of old westerns who have found new modern life in some legal type shows. Just like soaps have on premium cable.

I say good for P&G, and MTV, and i hope it works out and is a hit and leads to others. Perhaps the old style of soaps are dead, and its time to really move forward and try something new.

• Members

If it lasts much longer than Spyder Games I'll be impressed. With everything from that to Dead At 21 MTV has shown an aversion to developing long-term, serialized fiction. Undressed, let's recall, was not only vapid but also telenovela-style - in that there was a new cast and story each season.

• Members

I don't understand your perspective even more. This project is a chance for Latino actors breakthrough into the mainstream media and you are wishing failure on them because P&G is one of the sponsors. Seriously, think long and hard about what you are saying here. Cable is the natural place for innovation to begin because these networks desperate for programming are willing to take chances. If this project is a success, then the major networks may follow. If nothing else, some of these Latino actors will get the exposure to launch mainstream careers. Yet instead of looking forward to this project and hoping for the best, you are wasting your time crying for ATWT. Well, it is your time.

• Members

The title alone put me to sleep. Let's hope it is just a working title and they'll come up with something a bit more exciting later.

Does anybody know if America Ferrera will insist on keeping the show family-friendly as she did with Ugly Betty. Not saying that's a bad thing (after all, she protested those "special deliveries" going to Crack-ho Lohan's dressing room because they disrupted filming every two hours), but her vision may not necessarily align with MTV's. This is the Jersey Shore network, after all.

Archived