Procter and Gamble Launching New Soap Opera!

• Members

It wasn't really their call. CBS canceled GL and ATWT because they'd been under performing for years and could no longer justify their expense. After they were canceled, P&G couldn't find anyone else that wanted them so they shut them down.

This is really much ado about nothing. P&G isn't launching a new soap opera. P&G's production arm is part of a four-headed production group that will be providing commercials and production support to a bi-lingual Latin American-style telenovela that will be made by MTV and three other companies. Telenovelas tend to have smaller casts than US soaps since they're usually focused on only two families and they have limited runs so they're much cheaper than an American soap. The fact that the show is labeled as "interactive" suggests that it might be a web-soap that will air on MTV if it performs well online.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I am so tired of some soap fans overreacting to cancellation of soaps and the alternate programming.

I am a big proponent of soaps adopting the telenovela format to save the genre. This could be the first step in that direction.

• Members

I agree to both parts. If you dont watch a new P&G soap because youre pissed that they cancelled an old one, then you are just as much to blame for the demise of the genre as THEY are.

And I agree. I think that the remaining soaps on air after ATWT should keep their format...But I wouldnt mind seeing new ones in telenovela format.

• Members

I take offense to that! I've watched ATWT for 30 plus years and TPTB after Marland and Co. treated the show like s h i t! Don't go blaming me for the demise of soaps. The only ones responsible for the demise are the HW's who wrote s h i t and the EP's who let this s h i t writing continue!!

• Members

I didn't word that the way I meant it. Let me rephrase.

I understand the frustration/anger about the abrupt cancellation of all of the legacy soaps. And i think networks handle soaps horribly lately, and it is understandable for the viewers to be pissed when companies/networks treat these shows so awfully. it is perfectly understandable.

i was simply saying that if their are viewers who wont watch a NEW soap opera because the company making it canceled another one, it really would hurt the genre. so while there is so much understandable frustration about these abrupt cancellations, btu the thing is...if you look at the history of soaps, there have always been soaps that get cancelled and another one comes on to take its place....albeit that hasnt happened since 1999, it seems to be happening in some form here with P&G using this as their latest soap venture.

i was simply saying that this sounds like an interesting project to me...and that if it is succesful, could open the door to a new generation of soaps. and i was simply trying to make the point that if there are thousands of people out there who wont watch it simply because they are angry that P&G is not longer making ATWT or GL, then it could really hurt a show that in a way could rebirth soaps. it's like judging a book by it's cover. i meant it just seemed silly that a NEW show wouldn't get a chance just because it's produced by a production company for 2 recently cancelled OLD shows you know??

and i don't really think it's P&G's fault about ATWT or GL being cancelled. they had been lackluster for a while, and CBS decided to pull the plug. is it sad? definitely...but i dont think all of the blame can be put on P&G. I mean, if people are going to have that attitude, you might as well say you're never going to watch a new CBS show because they're the network who cancelled ATWT GL and other soaps.

I hope that clears up what I meant...It wasn't meant as a personal blow or anything! I was just simply trying to express a point, and I didnt word it right the first time :P

• Members

It is P&G fault for not firing [!@#$%^&*] ass writers like Jean P and EP's like Goutman. They didnt do a damn thing to save their shows. So why wouldnt they be the ones to blame?? Now they are helping out with this New soap opera....well....F U C K THEM!!

• Members

ATWT had had horrible demos for a while, and no matter what it's done, it's never fully distanced itself from the rep as a staid soap, as "your grandmother's soap." Sure, good/bad writing can make for better/worse HHs, but those numbers have become increasingly irrelevant. The 18-34s and 18-49s are all that really count, and no amount of incredible writing could've shifted those in a positive direction. The ABC soaps, especially AMC and OLTL, are in the same boat now.

• Members

I can't take the hysteria everytime a soap gets cancelled any more. Other than probably Y&R, they are ALL going to cancelled in about five to six years at most. It is ridiculous to have a freaking breakdown everytime a soap gets cancelled. Also, this wanting other soaps to get cancelled or the alternative programming to fail is so silly. It won't change anything other than putting more people out of work.

So what if P&G wants to partner in producing a new soap targeted to Latinos? P&G is in the business of making profit and this telenovela format may one day save the soap genre. Of course, P&G could have done better by ATWT and GL. It is understandable to be frustrated and regretful , but the over the top bitterness and anger at a huge conglomerate and people who aren't wailing along with you is out of control.

Archived