OLTL: Discussion for the week March 22

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

For the writers to try to hide their contempt for characters of color better? (I know, I know, Daniella is a Latina, but they sure as heck don't want her to be thought of that way!) It's a pipe dream, I know, so I'll have to either give up this show or just ... give up this show? I just changed the channel after Dani belted out Destiny's tune. F the writers! I'm so close to over OLTL/Daytime in General/The insanity.

Should we take bets? Daniella will become the lead, Destiny the understudy? Destiny will have to work on the clean up crew? The "hot 30 year old" will become prom queen and Destiny will carry the train of her prom gown? NO! Destiny and the mother will SEW the prom gown for her and THEN Destiny will carry it. W-T -F!?!??

• Members

I wonder if this will end with Danielle nobly giving her role to the lesser Destiny. Otherwise this is yet another story where the undertones help damage a character who is already difficult to like or care about.

Juliajms I don't think Rachel is being recast. I think this is probably the last time we'll ever see her.

• Members

I'm LOL'ing my ass off at the term 'Klanview'

So sad..But, so true.

But, seriously folks. Do they have a trained monkey writing this show right now or something. AMC and GH are great compared to this crap.

I had to switch it today. Once they started with High School Musical I felt like throwing up.

• Members

I have no idea what's happened, but I agree with the people who say things fell about quickly over the last couple of months. I hate to say it, but I think it started with this Mitch story. Not that things were perfect before then, but I see it as a turning point.

• Members

And the horrible thing was... Danielle did that AWFUL song (is that a real song?? I listen to a lot of pop music but have never heard this crap--or is it a sneak peek at the quality of the songs we'll here in the musical?), but honestly she's a much better singer than the Destiny girl anyway. It's not a case of the talented but less "perfect" looking student being cut in favour of the less talented but more perfect looking one. Destiny's lack of cossonants and singing on key hurt my ears (though again, the song was awful).

And I *like* musicals lol

Add to the fact that she's a counsellor yet didn't pick up on the fact that Sky wasn't just "tired" but was actually really upset (wouldn't she wanna peek in on the baby before leaving too? She was pretty attached before).

• Members

I think it's been building with OLTL for several years, because you have many of the interesting characters either sidelined or given weak stories. Or you have potentially interesting stories that are never properly resolved, which leaves the audience feeling cheated. You also have a lot of propping, you have a lot of bad acting in key roles, you have the feeling that you get often with other soaps, and which OLTL at its best does not do, which is the stories you are watching are irrelevant because certain characters will always win out and everyone around them will be damaged in the process. And those key relationships that should be the bedrock of the show are not used.

I keep hoping that when the current stories are finished there may be some forward movement.

• Members

LOL so it is a "real" song. Sigh.

She always has had a bit of a lisp (which doesn't bug me) but yeah, whoever taught her to sing (unless she's sick or something) really never told her to enunciate--it was like singign with cotton in your mouth (I'm being hard on her, she has singing talent--better than acting--but it felt foced and wasn't nearly as magical a moment as the show seemed to want us to think)

• Members

HAHA I did laugh how Jess said something flip after Natalie's mini lecture about the joys of Turbo Tax.

Those shows always have dreadful winning songs, but wow--did Miley do it before or after X Factor used it?

Anyway, it's wretched. But the fact Milye sings it is prob why I've managed to avoid it.

• Members

I believe it's a Miley original. Here's the thing though... script-wise, Destiny was supposed to be not as good as Dani, but I'm not sure if the actress would have been better in real life either. Destiny's singing was rather "familiar" to me, she reminded me of girls who I've known in real life who have good voices yet are somewhat self-conscious/reticent to really let loose and kill it. Her voice wasn't as forward and powerful as I think it could have been. Dani's voice was resonant, in her mask, and she did some pretty smooth and impressive melismas. I mean, she's no Karen Clark-Sheard, but I was impressed, definitely feelin' it.

• Members

It's one of those uplifting pop/country type ballads that are popular, I know (and I never like), but this one sounds especially derivative, which is why i thought it might have been an original (the only Miley songs I'm familiar with are uptempo ones that they play at the local gay club offering me good chances to get off the dance floor and get a shot or use the facilities...)

You're right, but nonetheless Destiny's performance was meant to be *wow* especially by the time it went into the fantasy, I thought, before hearing Dani's. And it simy wasn't--you described both of them perfectly

Archived