Unsung Soap Stars

• Members

David Andrew Macdonald - his characters get misused or stuck in unpopular stories, shunned and isolated from the kinds of stories and relationships that could be sustainable (ex: Edmund could have been used more with the Spauldings and their company, he could have been integrated better in the same way Olivia was). I really gained a great deal of contempt for TPTB (namely, EW) over at GL for how he was treated soon before, during and subsequent to his firing. Maybe his David character on AW might have lasted longer (after the weird Jordan Stark/Lumina stuff) had AW not been cancelled.

I saw John Bolger mentioned. I agree. I haven't watched GH for a long time but I saw him play the mayor(?) on that a little bit and I thought (after seeing him on GL, AW and OLTL) what is he doing playing this nothing, old fogey role? Not to mention, AW was stupid when they had this couple with great chemistry, Gabe and Lorna, and they not only shoot him dead, they show him splayed with his guts open on the operating table. Victim of the AW bloodbath those last couple of years.

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Renee Jones and James Reynolds are unsung as well, even though they are on a soap and I love days with a passion, but They never give them a story at all. Wayne Northop needs to be on someone soap if not Days, I could have seen him as Tucker on Y&R making the story believable age wise. Patsy Pease, Frank Parker, Anna Holbrook, Nicholas Coster should be on the list as well.

• Members

Leslie Charleson is still theoretically on air, but she I think qualifies as an unsung soap star. She never got the awards, was never the star, but she played a relentlessly unlikable character who happened to not be a villain, and made it work. Monica Quartermaine could have been a horror show, but LC made her someone to watch. And she was never nice, not to anybody. And yet I don't think the audience was ever meant to hate her or ever did.

I don't know if this next one qualifies as unsung because I have never seen anyone mention her name and not sing her praises, but Jennifer Bassey should be on our sets until they cart her out in a box. It is a crime she doesn't work more.

Louise Shaffer I always enjoyed and think she could have segued quite nicely into an evil matriarch type role, a Lois Kibbee type role. (and she was just great and deserves a posthumous unsung shout out)

• Members

I knew Louise as Erica's stepmother, Goldie Kane, before I'd ever seen her in RH reruns. Those were some fun times at AMC, her and Charles Keating as Dr. Lazarre and of course Silver in a trance trying to kill Erica. I remember Goldie being pushed off a boat and "drowning", then her "ghost" (in silk robe with big feathered cuffs) started to appear, but it really wasn't her ghost, she'd survived the boating accident and had rigged up some trick camera to make it look like she was a ghost. I can't remember how she ended up leaving for good.

• Members

Yes Yes Yes

I think there alot of Unsung people from the 80s and 90s on DAYS that get forgotten because it became the OMIGOD JOHN AND MARLENA AND CARRIE AND AUSTIN SHOW AHHH! and all about pleasing fanbases. People like James Reynolds, Renee Jones, Leann Hunley, Peggy McKay (even though they're still on there), Patsy Pease, John Clarke, Arleen Sorkin, John deLancie, Wayne Northrop- they were all great and added so much to DAYS that people forget because they weren't playing John, Marlena, Carrie, Austin, Steve, or Kayla (even though I liked Marlena, Steve and Kayla, and Jack and Jennifer; I could do with John)

And I agree with whoever mentioned Sharon Wyatt and Kristina Wagner.

• 4 weeks later...

Archived