Unsung Soap Stars

• Members

But strangely, she had no problem recurring on GL during this time frame.

Ellen Holly also briefly recurred on GL in the early 90's as Judge Collier. I remember her marrying Harley and Mallet, and taking over Ross's senate seat when he vacated it to be with Blake.

I thought she was great, and back then, I had no idea who Carly Gray or Ellen Holly were.

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I'll add someone that's not an actor, but a former soap EP...

I don't think Robert Calhoun ever gets enough credit for his work earlier on in during Marland's ATWT stint, or for his work on early 90's GL where he promoted Nancy Curlee and Stephen Demorest. He knew how to produce a soap and what made for a great soap opera. I'm sad he never got the chance to work his magic on another soap. He passed away a few years ago.

• Members

So True!!! Not just saying this because I am a fan, but Neil was written off too soon. its so much story to telling between He, Maggie, Sarah, and Noel. Gallison's character Bill Matthews on AW was also taking down to soon.

The Matthews on AW is an Unsung Family, They were the core family on Bay City, but Never got the credit they deserved.

• Members

He came back when they brought on his "Now you see him, now you don't" grandson, Jared Hall. I believe he's still teaching Acting at Howard, where he's been for several years. A lot of people thought he deserved a best supporting actor nom for Malcolm x. When I went to the Emmys back in '99, he was up there on stage with all of the other best actor/actress winners of the past.

• Members

So many of those DeeeDee mentioned! The Ryan's Hope actors never get enough credit. I'm glad that they have at least been seen on TV continuously in reruns for about ten years, even if it doesn't get them any extra money.

I would add:

Julie Osburn -- she could play anything!

Denise Alexander

Leslie Charleson

Carmen Duncan

Sarah Felder

Nancy Barrett

Marie Wallace

Michael Levin

Tom Wiggin

Steve Bassett

Richard Bekins

• Members

Re: Al Freeman, Jr., I've been watching old eps of Emerald Point N.A.S. :P and I think he'd be great as a Harlan Adams-type if TVOne (which is out of the D.C. area) ever launched a primetime soapy series. You know, an unscrupulous powerful patriarch, in the vein of Ebony's John H. Johnson or BET's Robert L. Johnson (not calling those men unscrupulous, but you get me).

Archived