Unsung Soap Stars

• Members

Esta Terblanche!! Amy Van Horne!!!

SFK, I do wonder though because I don't believe Beverlee or Vicky ever won. They were both such powerhouses. I just imagine someone in charge of the awards having some raging hatred for them. The real explanation is probably more mundane.

Daniel Markel - so cute and talented

Susan Diol

Christopher Cousins

John Loprieno

Chris McKenna

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I loved Esta Terblanche, and yes, Amy Van Horne! There is room for her somewhere on GH. She was to The City what Carla Borelli was to Texas. And wow, Charissa Cree Chamorro, Dorian's little protege. She just up and disappeared, like Skye kinda inched her out.

It makes no sense to me why Beverlee McKinsey never won an Emmy, and judging from what I've seen, she deserved it even more for Iris than Alex. VW too, those two together or either of them with Douglass Watson was just dynamite. Not so sure about VW, but I've never read anything about BM packing 'tude, maybe people were jealous of the show's success? Hmph, if so they only had to wait around a little while. <_<

• Members

Schae Harrison

John Bolger

Anne Jeffreys

Constance Towers

Billy Warlock

Sydney Penny

John Callahan

Darlene Vogel

Catherine Hickland

Kevin Stapleton

Terri Ivens

Pamela Payton Wright

Alicia Coppola

Robert Kelker Kelly

Shell Kepler

Marj Dusay

James DePaiva

Teddy Sears

Susan Batten

Susan Seaforth Hayes

Jed Allen

• Members

I loved Ion Overman. PC really wasted her. Vampire Gabriella was hot hot hot hot, too dirty for daytime.

I know she wasn't good on Y&R but I really enjoyed Sarah Aldrich on PC.

I know Anne Heche is not exactly unsung, but I think her later career, and her relationship with Ellen, and her craziness all overshadow just how damn good she was on AW, especially as Vicky. I have so many of her Vicky scenes burned in my brain. I especially loved when Vicky would storm out of a room, or that classic freeze frame where her long hair was flying around.

• Members

Elaine was great, yes, her work holds up well on Youtube, she makes Dorian her own while still reminding us of who Dorian is.

I also have to mention Richard Backus, who, along with Randall Edwards, broke my Delia-loving heart in that story where she fell for him and he cheated on her over and over, and destroyed her. What made it worse was that somewhere I did feel a little sorry for Barry, and I really liked Barry and Delia together. That story packed a punch until it became all about Faith.

Ana Alicia. She was good, if dull, on RH, and then she blew up on Falcon Crest. Falcon Crest is the forgotten "big" soap, and sadly her incandescent work on that show also tends to be forgotten.

• Members

That's funny, I had a teacher in college who was just nuts about her. In a paper I wrote, I made a funny little comparison of Mme. Ranevskaya in The Cherry Orchard to Angela Channing, and he wrote all in the margins how he loved Melissa on that show. ^_^ She had kind of a Roya Megnot thing going on.

• Members

She could be very calm and then she'd blow up, which is one of the best parts of watching a soap, you want those emotional highs and lows. That's how life is. You may not have an evil twin but you know someone who can seem stable and then suddenly snap. She was also so stunning and charismatic, and she did not rely on the fake smirks or sneery putdowns that you started to get when primetime soaps became more cold and "hip."

Oh, I forgot about Dennis Parlato. Sadly his last daytime role was not a good idea (the Roger Thorpe recast) but he was great on Loving and he was very, very strong on OLTL, in such an overpowering role. You could grieve with him over his losses yet also be horrified as he would beat Max (if he'd come around ten years later I'd have cheered him...) or beat Gabrielle on their wedding day. For a man who was generally just a big caricature Parlato made him stand out.

There are a lot of people on OLTL I wish got more credit today, Gerald Anthony, Marilyn Chris, Clint Ritchie (although OLTL did a nice little tribute when he passed on), Mary Gordan Murray (she was such a natural and calming actress), others already mentioned, etc.

Archived