Best and worst year (That you have seen) for each soap??

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

1998 was indeed the worst, most absurd, most unwatchable year in AMC's history... 2006 is probably the runner-up, but certainly the most offensive. 2009 comes in as third worst, but wins a special award for "Most Unrecongnizable."

For OLTL, it's so difficult to pinpoint. So much from 1997 to 2000 was just unstable, and lacked a sense of identity. But was it worse than what came from Malone after he jumped over the edge of story sanity in 2004? Or Dena Higley's work after that?

• Members

I think it's worse than some of that because JFP's era is what really brought in all the darkness and the shock value storytelling in the first place. She also overloaded the show with her pals -- characters who were given story were made completely unrecognizable, and stupid (Viki, Nora). The show was also extremely crass and just nasty. One of the all time most disgusting stories on OLTL was how JFP destroyed Kevin by turning him into this brooding manwhore, and when fans rejected him, a pregnant woman was fired as if this would somehow solve the problem. They turned Cassie into the villain and Barbara Graham, Kevin's ex-piece of tail, and a murderer, into the victim. Then Cassie was shipped off for good so that Kevin could go screw some more women in yet more fleeting attempts to make him popular. JFP's era also introduced the very sick elements of Todd and Tea where he abused her and she loved it. And that was the time when, as some sort of payback for rejecting Grace Davison, we had to watch her drown for what seemed to be an entire week. Or, later on, the lovely story where Bo beat the life out of RJ, then went off to pout, having anonymous, romance novel quote sex with Lindsay's boring sister.

• Members

GH I have to go with 1983. It opened with the Susan Moore murder mystery (probably the best mystery GH has done except the solution was lame--but everythng beside who did it was top notch), then followed it up with the Prometheus Disc story (easily the best action story from the period) and then ended the year with the reunion of Luke and Laura.

The worst was probably something like 2002 or 2003. Whichever year it was Sonny, Carly, Jason and Courtney were on every day to the exclusion of almost everyone else even when they had no story. Painful.

• Members

i think i have to agree with all the above...I just despise McTavish and what she had done to AMC, i would just [love] to know what she was srsly thinking up until she got fired...I agreee with some one stated above in '07 on GH when they killed all those characters all in one yr.. i feel for those GH fans..thats terrible!

• Members

Unfortunately, there is too much competition for this title!

I vote for 2007. 2007 was the year of the one-night stand, which I consider the worst-written, acted and directed scene that I ever witnessed. Also, 2007 was the sextet shoved down viewers' throats incessantly. The show's pace and dialogue were just horrible under those writers, (the Bears?), whom I consider the worst writers in the show's history (with McTavish at No. 2 and Pratt at No. 3).

Just my two cents.

Archived