Article on Hogan Sheffer

• Members

I think that was more about giving other people stories through Barbara than about Barbara herself. I'm glad that this spared CZP from being fired, but Barbara became a pathetic joke, constantly written as a failure because she had lost her beauty, wandering around a dark house with James duping her into destroying the pretty young things. Once that ended, there was nothing for Barbara, other than Paul berating her and James showing up again every six months to taunt her.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Weren't the rumors that Todd Rotondi and Kim Onasis(sp?) didnt get along?? That's why his story was boring. But rumors were Kim didnt get along with anybody. Even CZP couldnt stand her.....lol. I loved Bryant and Todd Rotondi. I was crushed when he was killed off.

Ditto for SH as Paul. Why recast if he was a fan favorite! Block was good as Craig at the beginning but then turned into Craig the one liner guy.

• Members

They'd stopped writing for Paul about a year before he was even recast with Howarth.

The writing for Howarth's Paul did have that familiar imprint but I wonder if that hiring was from Bloom. Wasn't she on a big ABC hiring spree at this time?

• Members

That makes sense. I just wondered because it was around this same time that Coltin Scott was brought in as Tony Santos after GH brought back Tyler Christopher as Nik. And Jack Wagner and Sydney Penny at B&B, Keith Hamilton Cobb at Y&R.

• Members

The name was actually Kim Onasch(close enough Rux! :)) She wasn't very good as Jennifer in my opinion, Ferrin was so much better. Interesting though that the only actor/actress from that era who's had a somewhat successful post-ATWT career was Kristina Sisco with playing the Charity-recast on Passions. The rest had nothing. Unusual for ATWT, which until the Goutman era had it's younger actors go off to make it big. Even the mid-late 90s we saw Jordana Brewster, Kerr Smith, and Jason Biggs come from the show.

• Members

Kim Onasch always sounded like she had a bad cold, and no chemistry with any costars. The worst was that story where, after months of not wanting to have sex, she suddenly went hot for Bryant's cousin, who seemed about as straight as Marty West's Shane Lewis. She screwed him after a few weeks. Naturally she was written as a bitch after that, since she was now impure, or whatever, I don't know. She was a horrible character either way.

If you can't act you should at least have charisma. Many of ATWT's younger set had one or both, until Goutman showed up. Even people I hated, like Eddie Man, I knew they had some charisma.

I guess Peyton List and Kelsey Grammer's boring daughter are the closest to "success" after leaving ATWT.

• Members

Kim was good as teen Jennifer but Ferrin was more suited for grown up Jen. I couldnt see Kim playing that role. I thought Kristina was ok at best as rewritten history in Abigial....ugh..... Jordana Brewster was pure golden on ATWT and very popular. I loved Kerr Smith but thought the Ryder character was poorly written. But compared to today's teens I'd take Ryder back in a heartbeat. Smith was much better on Dawson's Creek. Jason Biggs....couldnt stand Petey or the actor...lol. The American Pie movies..yada ...yada...was what he was made to do....lol

• Members

Haha...what was the name of the character and the actor. He did have the Marty West look. Kim was written the way she was rumored to be in real life. What ever happened to Kim anyways??

Ugh...couldnt stand Eddie Silva.....puke....or Georgia...or was it Georgie...lol.....

Peyton List and Kelsey Grammer.....such bad actresses.....

• Members

His name was Hunter Garner. I thought maybe we'll get to see Lyla or Cricket since he's there, but instead he just vanished somewhere in Scotland. I assume Duncan threw him into the moat.

Her name was Georgia. She was OK, I guess. Eddie always me made nervous, man.

Peyton and Kelsey were awful. I thought that whole Lucy/Aaron/Alison triangle was horribly written and acted, and the only idea that show had for their histories was to trash their parents. And apparently poor Julie has been dying offcamera for like 8 years now. I prefer to believe she's faking it and is sipping champagne with Tonio somewhere warm.

• Members

That's the name....I think he was in the Bonnie storyline in Scotland with a returned Duncan but cant recall what happen to him.

The Lucy/Aaron/Alison is Goutman at his worst. The recent Dante story reminded me of the whole triangle. Julie was only mentioned when Aaron needed an excuse to be written out.....lol. Hmmm....Tonio alive?? I miss Peter as Tonio.

• Members

I guess there was some kind of rumors about Kim O being full of herself and diva-like. My problem with Bryant was he was all over the map. He was supposed to be a genius who'd graduated college early (I think) but he seemed to be nothing more than a two-bit con artist. I didn't find Rotondi to have any chemistry, even with the vet actors, and he was heavily featured with Liz Hubbard, so it's not like he didn't get the A list treatment. I just thought there was such potential in revitalizing the Montgomerys and fuel for plenty of story as Craig and Bryant clashed. But it was all thrown out the window because of a "boring" actor. Stupid.

The real kiss of death was pairing him with Rose. SH looked like he was barely out of high school at the time, and well...Martha didn't look that young. And you're right, I remember being stunned Paul wasn't a bigger part of the search for Rose, Em and Carly, as TIIC let Craig horn in on that too...ugh. But I don't think the better answer was to recast Paul. It was to break them up and write some character growth for him. In one interview, Sheffer complained Paul couldn't hold a grudge (or some such BS)...well, TIIC didn't write Paul as carrying a grudge. If you don't challenge the actor, how can you complain if they don't give you a subtext you haven't even hinted at?

• Members

Ruxton, I could have sworn they said Tonio was still alive? Either way, I just want to imagine Julie happy and living the high life. I know she settled down with the poor recast of Caleb but I don't believe she would be happy that way for more than a year or two. It was this endless WTF for me when they dumped Aaron off on her, and then whenever they would mention Julie it was always oh Julie is ill, Julie is ill. Did they actually know anything about Julie, or did they think she was in an iron lung? It's like when Margo left town because Lyla broke her hip. I know you can break your hip easily and I know Lyla is an older woman, but really? That's the reason you give?

PJ, I think the problem with Bryant is they had that big entrance (he was supposed to be the "player") which fizzled out and after that they stopped caring. They did have him with Gaby or Ruby or whatever her name was, the father/daughter con artist, but there was more which could have been done. A recast, at the very least. The whole thing was bad shock value, and bad manipulation. He was killed off so we could see Craig fake cry/laugh and then bed Carly.

I also feel like they gave up on Holroyd, without ever trying. I saw him on Medium last year and he was very frightening. He could have played a dark Paul. It was such lazy writing to have Paul as this angst-ridden prince of darkness, after Paul had been written as a flawed but good man for years, all the way back to Andy Kavitovit. Howarth's Paul never seemed edgy to me, he just seemed like he needed a pacifier. It was the same idea that has killed so much of daytime, that being a manly man = throwing tantrums and whining.

• Members

Fascinating article. To be fair, Hogan did have a great first year-and-a-half. ATWT really needed a shake-up, and HS delivered. From one simple story (the break-up of Hal and Barbara's marriage), he spun an umbrella story that affected most of the cast. His favorites blossomed under him (Katie, Rose, Craig and especially Barbara). CZP went from pouring coffee in the Munson kitchen to the front burner, grabbing her first Lead Actress Emmy nomination.

Of course, the flip side is that once that first year was over, so was Hogan. We started getting dreadful stories like Teeens On The Run, Pilar Kills Katie's Rabbit, Dahlia, Bonnie In Scotland and Celia In The Orange Crate.

As far as the acting, Hunt Block could be entertaining, but he had none of Scott Bryce's emotional range, and soon became a joke. I loved Scott Holroyd's Paul. The second his Paul hit the screen, he nailed the role (although it WAS jarring to see him with the obviously older Rose..)

Archived