AMC: Actor leaving in March?

• Members

I'm afraid Adam might die with him soon to have a heart attack and be diagnosed with congestive heart failure.

Then again maybe Brooke has to save him from Annie, they sure can't seem to decide on a personality for Annie and I so think her and Scott are going to have sex and maybe Adam sees them and it nearly kills him(his heart stuff)

I completely agree! With SL commuting are we going to see Erica all that much? Plus I wonder how long she'll be willing to do that, it's not going to be easy for her(it wouldn't be for anyone, the constant traveling).

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

That's part of why I think ABC is so anxious to get "buzz" going for the show again on par with what OLTL still sometimes has - if they can get enough positive buzz on "an AMC comeback" with temp Broderick and possibly Riche as an ineffectual puppet EP, they can hope to offset the losses of Canary, TK, AM, and possibly even Lucci and use the "AMC has good buzz" excuse to try and bury OLTL while ignoring AMC continuing to fall apart.

I think Lorraine Broderick's a good writer and I believe she wants to do right by the show. But losing these kind of tentpoles means it may not be possible.

• Members

TPTB COULD let The Hubbards be The new Martins but they won't.

They also could have Tad/Jesse/Angie/Krystal find a still alive Dixie & rebuild The Martins but they won't.

TPTB will keep The Hubbards as backburnered tokens & throw Tad in an absurd triangle with Krystal & Jamie Luner.

• Members

In theory, these changes should not be a huge burden. Erica had Mona and Myrtle, and she had brief runs with Kendall and some struggles with Bianca, but she was generally on her own for most of her run on AMC up to about 2000 or so. Then they focused more on her problems with her children, but even that seemed to peter out by the middle of the decade. Kendall became more and more known as one half of Zendall, and Bianca left, with each return worse than the last.

The Chandlers have not been what they could have been, they were already in a weak position thanks to all the time wasted on Martinizing JR. They were then wrecked when Babe and Krystal showed up and have never recovered.

If AMC could, like DeeeDee said, build up the Hubbards, then that would help. Bringing in a few new members of old families, or bringing in a strong new family, might also help.

I just wish they could make the effort.

• Members

But do even 10% of the audience know who these writers and producers are? OLTL's buzz doesn't seem to be equating into much. I fear this may be it for AMC. (actually it was it for AMC years ago but now it is it it). In the last few years a parade of AMC regulars have all died or been written out. Brooke, Myrtle, Phoebe, Palmer, Stuart, Dixie, Adam now, Marian, Maria, soon Joe and Ruth...the exodus is dramatic. Outside of the name, what makes this show "all my children" anymore? Once Erica goes they might as well just turn out the lights.

The again, firing half the cast and dumping all your go to characters seems to have revitalized DOOL.

• Members

Unless Lucci left of her own accord (which this LA move doesn't count as) or passed away, AMC cannot survive without Erica. Period. The branding of her as the "world's soap star" is the biggest reason ABC favors AMC over OLTL.

And DAYS has survived because those fans will watch anything. Anything. As long as it has a couple familiar faces. Reilly II proved that. That show has been drastically altered so many times over the years that it has no real identity anymore; its paradigm does not apply to other soaps, IMO, and I don't envy its fans.

• Members

What used to make AMC stand out was its core identity. AMC was a soap with social issues, heart, and quirky comic relief mixed in with ingenues and stalwart good guys. That kept the show going even when the lineup changed. Many of the show's most beloved characters didn't even show up until the 80s, or the late 70s, so the show did at one time go on without them. I just wish they could find that identity again. Once they find it and establish a foundation, then actually bringing in quality characters would be easier.

• Members

The sad thing is even with Canary gone AMC still has enough vets to keep the show going.

Lucci, Williams, Morgan, Knight & Larson are there as tentpole foundations.

Plus Irizarry, Eakes, Mathison, Smith, Kane, Martinez, Young, Mayfield, Egan, Goldin, Hall, Gatschet & Budig.

All TPTB would have to do is extend Julia Barr's stay, rehire Cady, Walt & Daniel Kennedy & recast Cassandra, Randi & Ross.

• Members

Ross is Palmer's son. His mother was Lottie, who was Adam and Stuart's sister. She died, and Adam raised (his nephew) Ross.

Ross was married to Ellen, and they adopted Julie. Julie's biological father is Mark, Erica's brother. So Julie is Adam and Erica's niece (grand niece for Adam).

Archived