AMC: Actor leaving in March?

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Yes. Jacob Young is not a lead actor(unless lead = shouting), and Scott is still too undeveloped a character. And Skye was never Martinized, or had any interaction with Babe, both of which have done serious damage to JR.

I really hope they don't think that they can just have Annie and JR as the main Chandlers and that's good enough. I don't think bringing Annie into the Chandler story did her any favors and didn't do a lot for Adam or Scott either.

• Members

If DC is leaving, it will be a big hit to the show. But in a way, I can understand why this is happening. DC is aging....his life is in NY, I think he wants to relax and retire. I hope that the show doesn't write him off as "leaving the door open for a comeback" because what if he isn't able to come back? If true, I would rather the show kill Adam off, and give him a big funeral with lots of vets coming back, a giant payoff in the end.

• Members

I don't want them to kill Adam off. At one point this would have made sense but not after the carnage of 2009, especially with what happened to Stuart. I also don't think there will be that much payoff -- Skye is unlikely to return, I doubt Hayley would be there (Kelly Ripa doesn't seem likely to fly out to the West Coast, especially for heavy taping like a funeral), Palmer's not coming back, and I don't need to see any more of JR's whining, Liza talking about memories they can't actually show (if she's even involved in the story), Annie's schizophrenia, or Scott just...taking up space. Krystal would weep and talk about Babe. Tad would be patted on the head for saying a few nice things about an awful man like Adam.

I would rather see Adam leave town. They could always bring in Ross, or a new Chandler character, to help fill the gap that JR cannot.

• Members

The Chandler clan - and AMC - will fall without him, sooner or later.

It was long rumored that Frons hoped to use the LA move to cut DC or SL either permanently or to the minimum, but he does not realize that for all his efforts to "save" this show over OLTL, without Erica and Adam there is no show.

• Members

In the wake of Adam's death, I'm predicting that the Chandlers will sort of resemble GH's wacky Quartermaines. J.R. (A.J.), Colby (Monica), Scott (Alan) all under one roof with Annie (Lucy) as matriarch, oh brother, I have a feeling that a fair amount of zaniness will ensue (complete with Adam making Edward Quartermaine [or Asa Buchanan] ghost/videotaped will appearances). With the show's resolve to get back to that classic Agnes Nixon magic, I think they'll welcome more character-driven comedy from a nut like Annie. It'll be interesting to see how that family will (mal)function with no Adam around. There's potential for good stuff there, but it sure as hell won't be the same. :(

• Members

I don't know if Annie will ever be a wacky character. They seem to see her as some sort of misunderstood woman, or a quasi-vixen. That character has become a mess.

Colby may be too green for people to invest in. I think Scott is a waste of time. JR has been worn down to the nubs, he has had the same stories for so long now and is hard to care about because it always goes back to the self-pity and the whining.

I think they need a strong figurehead when Adam leaves, Ross, or a Chandler cousin of some kind. Perhaps they can bring in his family. I don't know if the show would lose a lot if Scott or JR left. Or, if they can't ever make her click with the audience, Colby.

• Members

I wouldn't mind Ross, though of course he would be better with Adam, Stuart, and Palmer still around. Ross could be one of Erica's new leading men.

I really think JY would be better off back on B&B. I agree that they've pretty much exhausted the J.R. character, I just see a hopeless A.J.-like drunk, or this currently mushy yet not terribly sympathetic version of himself. He and his dull as dishwater wife should take Little A and go retire to Hilton Head or something. Of course, J.R. and Mabe also serve to prop Tad, KWAK, and David in their leaner moments, so losing them wouldn't exactly help those characters' situations (though of the three, David is the one most likely to go unscathed as we know how ABC daytime loves a sick bastard of very few redeeming qualities).

• Members

I think JR being gone might help Tad in some odd way, as JR is a living embodiment of Tad's failings as a parent.

What bothers me the most with the writing for JR is that at least I understood why AJ played the same tired song -- this would have ended after about 3-4 years, but then Luza, who hated the Quartermaines and needed to make us worship Jason, had to humiliate AJ and remind us of what a failure he was, which he did from 1998 to the time Billy Warlock finally left for good.

I assume there is no such issue with JR. They had many chances to get away from the boo hoo, I love Babe, my father is evil, and all that. They took away most of what made him interesting, and Jacob Young is not an actor who is able to get past most of the writing.

• Members

ITA with both statements. Adam leaving the show really going to leave a huge gap in the show. And the Chandler family will crumble/not be a very strong family.

What's unfortunate is that JR could have taken over the reigns from Adam, but he has been written poorly for years. His constant fighting/denouncing Adam being a Chandler for people like Babe and Tad has really weakend the character. I do think that JY is capable of playing stronger, more mature JR, but his character has been written poorly for a long time. If JR was written more like he was after his and Babe's first divorce, his character and the Chandlers would be in better shape.

There was a time after he divorced Babe the first time around where him and Adam got along better. And where he was a stronger character. Granted he was a lot meaner but he was less whiny. But once he got back together with Babe again, worshipping Tad and constantly denouncing Adam he went downhill.

At this point his character really isn't a good leader for the Chandler family. IMO, Scott's too weak, and right now Colby isn't really fleshed out enough as a character. Hayley's not coming back and I'm not sure if Skye will come back either.

• Members

At this rate Jesse McCartney looks rough and bloated enough himself, well beyond his years, that he could almost take back the role. I might care about JR then too, and pray for him to hit a gym or nutritionist.

Archived