ATWT/DOOL: How are Helen Wagner & Frances Reid doing?

• Members

Has anybody heard the latest news regarding the health of either Helen Wagner or Frances Reid? Obviously, I know that (because of their ages) they are not in the best of health.

Furthermore, when was the last time that Wagner appeared on ATWT, or Reid appeared on DOOL (excluding flashbacks)?

I pray that neither of these two legends are gravely ill, and that both can be there when their respective shows end.

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I have Helen Wagner down for making 3 appearances in 2009, the most recent was actually December 29th. Wagner's husband Robert Willey passed away in 2009.

Frances Reid hasn't appeared on DAYS since December 2007. I know they had made plans a few times during 2008 to use her but her health prevented her from appearing.

• Members

Helen Wagner appeared on ATWT at Thanksgiving and for a woman her age,I felt she looked and acted well.

She lost her husband this year,so it must have been a difficult time for her.

She has been used sparingly the past few years and I don't believe it is her choice.I think everyone would be happy to see Nancy a few times a month,but TPTB seem to think a beloved elderly woman onscreen is a turn off for viewers.

As for Frances Reid,she was last seen at 4th July 2007.She appeared frail and had minimal lines.Several further appearances were cancelled and it seems her health is failing.

I think DOOL has been remiss in ignoring this and pretending a woman in her mid 90's is doing fine.It would have been touching to have some scenes where Maggie and Hope talk about Alice getting on and perhaps going to live with Marie-even better had Maree Cheatham returned and there had been a mini tribute to Frances to let viewers know that 'Alice' is being cared for and loved.

Now we have the situation of Alice missing in action.

• Members

DAYS does refer to Alice not being in the best of health for example they had the Horton Christmas at Bo and Hope's because Alice wasn't up to it this year though Alice and Mickey were there but in the kitchen the whole time.

• Members

Indeed, Frances last appeared for Christmas 2007. I think having read she was in a retiring home. I guess DAYS should mention Alice being weaker and being taken cared of. I wonder how they will explain she does not attend Mickey's funeral as she was supposed to be healthy and somewhere off-screen with her son for last Christmas.

Helen Wagner is incredibly good for her age. She lost her husband this year and I was worried about the effect on her but her two appearances for Thanksgiving and last week had her in good health for her age. Her acting is still very good. Kathryn Hays or Eileen Fulton mentionned once or twice that it was not Helen's health that kept her off-screen but TPTB. So stupid.

• Members

I've heard rumors Helen Wagner's health was declining earlier this year, and I thought in her appearance earlier in the year she looked really frail. But I agree with the other posters, I think she looked better in her latest appearance. She remained seated during her scenes, but I think that's understandable.

• Members

I recall someone on this board saying that Bill Hayes & Susan Hayes saying Frances is in a nursing home. I doubt we'll see Frances Reid onscreen again. :(

I have mixed feelings regarding writing in a death for Alice while Reid is still alive. At least with Mickey, the actor is still in fine health, as far as we know, and he retired from the role nearly 6 years ago (wow, time flys!)

I would rather they'd have it so that Doug & Julie moved into Alice's house and are looking after her; they need those two as the new patriarch & matriarch, plus they could still use the Horton home, which has been there since day one.

• Members

John Clarke is indeed still alive but I've heard rumors he has Alzheimer's or dementia. When Clarke left in 2004 he cited health concerns but there was much speculation/rumors he wanted out before his own character was "murdered" and/or he didn't want to play the Mickey&Bonnie story.

• Members

Supposedly John Clarke had a stroke this year. I haven't heard anything about Alzheimer's or dementia.

I have no problem with them just having Alice alive but off-screen even if they keep Alice alive even after Frances dies. I've always thought an Alice funeral would be a fitting end to Days whenever it gets canceled and it would be an event that would provide a reason for the show to bring back everyone important for the finale.

Archived