AMC: Thursday, November 5, 2009

• Members

I didn't like that they fast forwarded a day. I wanted to see Erica's reaction to Adam saying that he would let Kendall take the fall for Stuart's death and I wanted to see David's reaction to Angie's ultimatum. I'm all for moving story along, but we're missing some pivotal scenes here and the heightened drama is lost.

And how is it that a new chief of staff at the hospital is breaking news in Pine Valley? :lol:

I did like Angie today and how she was dealing with the guilt of blackmailing David.

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Well Pine Valley is MEANT to be a small community in which case it would make news I guess--I mean this was a city that showed ALL of the dance marathon on tv :P

I loved Angie today, loved that she felt guilty for waht she'd done, still wouldn't forgive Jesse, just everything. I thought the script by... Kimberly something was decent--she's the one who's new right? I noticed though like last time she seemed to be trying to prove herself--I remembe rher last (or a recent) script was the one she threw in several random references like JR talked about the Greek myth of losing your strength when your hair is cut. This time we got an anecdote about why they really use pigeons instead of doves. I actually love when soaps talk this way--in real life it's a bit more how people talk--but the scriptwriter in this case still needs to work a bit at integrating it more. Points for trying I guess :P

Oh and LOVED seeing Lucretia again. Otherwise fairly meh

• Members

There are times when fast forwarding a day is a good idea but this was not one of them. I would have loved to have seen David's reaction.

As far as showing a press conference for the new chief-of-staff, having lived in small towns all my life, here it would have been taped and aired on the 6:00 and 11:00 news instead of being a live broadcast.

Kimberly Hamilton is the scriptwriter's name and she used to work on Guiding Light. I'm not sure if she's trying too hard or she's just used to writing in more of a traditional soap style than the current AMC requires. I've been enjoying her scripts so far because she sticks close to character history (Ryan referencing how he felt after shooting Jonathan, Annie mentioning her miscarriage) and writes more character-driven than plot-driven scenes.

Angie was great yesterday. It helps that she knows what she did was wrong, feels guilty and actually holds Jesse to her higher standards. He's become such a joke as chief of police and I hope Angie and Natalia are pivotal in getting his dumbass fired!

Annie/Lucretia were very funny and reminded me of old-school AMC. I can't wait to see Lucretia at the wedding!

• Members

I agree with your assessment of her scripts--like I said some of the dialogue feels a bit forced to me but you could be right--and it's better than the alternative.

Pratt has shown a few times in the past year that he does decent, old school style AMC comedy (when he first came on that was one of the immeidate changes I liked the best) I wish he would do it more.

• Members

Debi Morgan. :wub: Wow. Just terrific. *swoon* Those quiet moments in the window with Jesse. Angie so preoccupied, so filled with mixed-feelings. Just great and subtle acting. Loved it. I thought Angie might really go public. I see why David caved. I would have rooted her on if she had. While okay with Angie keeping the COS position, I am also glad she is torn and questioning herself. That feels real and human. I want Angie active and wouldn't at this point mind seeing her leave Jesse.

Really, really liked the dialogue today. I'd much prefer some overwritten dialogue to the inadequate, mechanical or absent dialogue which has been a problem under Pratt, imo. I am excited about Kimberly Hamiliton's possibilities. I think that lack of character motivation and poor quality/insufficient dialogue have been Chuckles' biggest issues. I don't dare dream yet that it may remain consistent.

I also liked Ryan bringing up Jonathan to Adam it makes sense based on character history and Ryan's objective in trying to get Adam to spill. I don't even agree with what Ryan and Erica are doing, but I liked how it was written and how Ryan/Cam played it. Cam resisted emphatically. spitting. out. each. word. Ryan built his point and then got a little assy at the end with Scott. It's Ryan, I expect him to be assy.

Was there foreshadowing of Ryan becoming Police Chief or was that just a throwaway line to Jesse? I actually think that would be a good role for Ryan, he would have a badge which would give him at least the role of law enforcer to support his usual sanctimony. I realize Ryan doesn't have the career background for it but in PV that doesn't seem to matter much, so who knows.

If Jesse wasn't a corrupt as the day is long, I'd love for him to stay on as COP. I think he needs to get busted some ranks at the very minimum this now chronic gaming of the system and breaking the law for his family and the Slaters.

I am going to miss Aidan. AT's never meant for high drama. But for a good-guy, super spy and soap hunk, he's easy on the eyes and has never gotten on my nerves. Some of the dialogue with Kendall and Aidan seemed stilted, imo. Mostly because the writers were trying to fit in a lot of logistical issues over the messages hijinix and Kendall getting suspicious. Not bad though.

MCE is still firing on all cylinders. The stuff with Lucretia was funny and just how I kind of imagined Annie as Lady Chandler of the Mansion.

DC is terrific with Erica, Ryan, everyone really, though we should be seeing more mental torture for Adam over the realization of him killing Stuart, imo. You guys covered that territory on another day's thread.

Adam Mayfield is improving and trying very hard. I still find his expressions/acting distracting often, however.

I watched 3 episodes in row yesterday to catch up and enjoyed it mostly. Thursday was the best of those, imo. I FF JR and Marissa. And also, please keep Jake and Amanda out of onscreen sexual situations, implied or otherwise, they make me cringe. TIA.

• Members

Come on... It may be a small township, but this isn't Mayberry R.F.D.

I really don't hear what you're hearing.

However, the woman's been writing scripts for six years, so I doubt she's trying to prove herself. Nevertheless, even if she is, I'm grateful. My ears know what it's like when writers don't try to "prove" themselves: Lynsey Dufour, anyone? :unsure:

I, so far, enjoy her scripts.

I hate seeing Lucretia. BIG mistake. You never show Maris! EVER!

Annie and Lucretia's scenes were cute, but on principal, I disliked them. When Annie called for Lucretia, I seriously debated grabbing my remote -- because I know she was seen several weeks earlier (which I missed by happenstance) and I didn't want to have someone else's face take over the image I created in my imagination all these years... but dammit. I wasn't quick enough. :angry:

Thank you. Especially since the show's dialogue's basically been written by Taylor and Hayes for the last five months...

Wouldn't that be great?!

Pratt can be blamed for a lot, but he can not be blamed for the script writers. He inherited them from McTavish and Brown & Esensten.

Archived