Guiding Light discussion thread

• Members

Could be. My 70s historical knowledge is spotty but he could be referring to winning Leslie's court case when she was tried for murdering Stanley Norris which would have been 1972, I believe. I didn't know he was shot right after that, though. I wonder who shot him. 

• Replies 13.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

In 1972, Mike was married to Charlotte Waring while he was defending Leslie on charges of murdering Stanley Norris.  Their union ended bitterly, however, because of Charlotte's insecurity and treachery (she was jealous of Leslie and even tried to sabotage Mike's defense strategy by leaking his legal plans to the D.A.)

A low-life former associate of Charlotte's named Flip Malone kidnapped her and ultimately tried to kill her. Mike, forever the hero, had come to rescue her. He jumped between Charlotte and the gun and got shot in the chest. Trying to escape, Flip sped off and died in a car crash. Although she wanted to reconcile with Mike, Charlotte could not win him back. Their marriage was permanently over. Mike recovered from being shot and subsequently married Leslie.

• Members

Thanks for the history lesson. I was at least partially right with it being Leslie he was defending and the year being 1972. I didn't remember about Flip Malone. I guess the butterfly collar was a 1972 thing. I didn't think they came along until the late 70s. My fashion knowledge isn't as extensive as my TGL knowledge. To say the least. 

• Members
Posted (edited)

Thanks. Most of the soap related videos on the channel I've posted here already (they had a Morgan Fairchild interview which was taken down, I think), but there are some other interesting videos.

Thanks for the extra detail. I wish we could see some of Charlotte. Which Charlotte did you prefer?

Edited by DRW50

• Members

Of the two principle actresses who played the role (there were a couple of short-term fill-ins, as I recall), Victoria Wyndham was more nuanced and subtle. Melinda Fee struck me as too sledge-hammery.

• Members
Posted (edited)

Thanks. That describes anything I've seen of Fee. After seeing a bit of Barbara Stanger's complex Mary on DAYS, Melinda's drag queen version was not a great experience. Still, I can't criticize what I never saw, so I appreciate your perspective.

Edited by DRW50

• Members

Melinda Fee never showed any nuance or subtle shades on either TGL or DAYS, IMHO. I found her a let-down after Victoria Wyndham and Barbara Stranger.

I agree. Stewart seemed relaxed in the clip but that interviewer creeped me out.

• Members

Is it just me, or is Larkin Malloy a graduate from The. William. Shatner. School of Act-ING ?  I'm sure the stilted dialogue and talking endlessly to portraits doesn't help, but he just doesn't seem like a good fit for the show.