Guiding Light discussion thread

• Members

I've been watching old episodes of Guiding Light lately and there's a June 1982 episode available on YouTube that features Amanda at the mansion on the Wexler estate and Jennifer is living in the cottage on the estate. The house is specifically referred to as a cottage, not a carriage house. In that episode, a shirtless Mark Evans descends the staircase in the cottage and Jennifer reveals to Amanda that they were married in Paris that day. In the same episode, we also see Carrie and Ross in their carriage house as Carrie attempts to flee Springfield. If I remember correctly, Ross and Carrie's carriage house was located next to the Kennedy house as Carrie seduced the Kennedy's teenage son Ron. Perhaps the carriage house was part of the Kennedy's property.

I started watching in April 1982 when Texas was shifted from 3:00 p.m. to 11:00 a.m. I recollect that one of the stories at that time involved Alan and Hope moving from their mansion into a smaller house while Floyd Parker, who was embarking on a career as a rock star, moved into the Spaulding mansion. Floyd's career tanked later that year and I believe Alan and Hope reclaimed the mansion.

• Replies 13.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

Most likely. That's what all soaps do. There was a particular slanted window treatment ATWT used for thirty years. I always recognized it from the old Montgomery and Associates set. 

• Members

And Joan Copeland as Alexandra during much of this storyline, while Another World fans were wondering if Beverlee McKenzie was returning as Iris was also a bit much.  LOL.  And all this was around the time Iris did return to Another World, but played by Carmen Duncan.  

Edited by Mona Kane Croft

• Members

I did like that he used his father's name as an alias, and considering the way that the Dobson's and Marland wrote him out... there wasn't a believable way to bring him back from the dead.

He couldn't just breeze into town and pretend nothing happened.

The only thing I wish Long/Calhoun had done differently was having had Holly marry someone that had previously been on the canvas.  For instance, instead of Mr Lindsay.. maybe Holly could have married Kyle Sampson.  Just from the brief descriptions of Mr Lindsay, it sounded a lot like Kyle.

• Members

I don't remember her subbing for Bev at all. The run of this took place during the beginning of the end of Sonni/Solita and it was Bev crashing on the island (with that bore Fletcher) and Bev on the island the whole time that I remember. Are there any videos out there of her and would she have been better then Marj?

Phantom of the Opera was big then...but yea he couldn't have walked into town but Alex didn't know what he looked like so he didn't need to wear that mask..(and that dumb voice..however, it was not as bad as RR trying to do a Japanese accent when trying to trick Roger into believing he was someone else.

Of all the dumbass storylines Rauch threw at us to keep asskisser Kimmer on screen...why was Kyle ignored...I would have much rather have that than the Isle of the Damned..especially if it did turn out that Marah was really his..something more "real soap" for Java to deal with. 

• Members

I have started watching Guiding light every night in bed on my phone and am up to 1993 October... The new Alexandra is plotting her revenge. I love this show so much. Is the quality going to be good for years to come or is it going to go bad soon. I am scared, since I have now watchin 1992 and 1993 and enjoyed them so much. I would rate the show 10/10. I don't want this to end, If you know what I mean.

• Members

For me, the soap excelled until March 2004 when Ellen Wheeler took over as executive producer, although, it wasn't too bad. 2005, for me, was the true effective beginning of the end when actors started leaving / asking to be let go. So, it's clear, Wheeler came in and it just... went down.

• Members

You too! I began watching on experiment, thinking I won't be able to get into it, but Alexandra Spaulding by Beverly... made me so hooked and now I love the second Alexandra too. I like the overall vibe of the show and I like how the comedy is not too forced, like on other soaps. 1992 was an amazing year. I will re-watch it some day... now that I know who everyone is... maybe I will appreciate it more.

• Members

Real FIRE! I hope someday we will able to watch the 80s in full too. I am sad that I only saw 1992 of the OG Alexandra. But in a way it's like saving the cake for last. I know that in couple of year we will have more full years. I will be dreaming and looking forward to 1984-1991. 

P.S - since someone messaged me asking where I am watching at... - https://www.youtube.com/@BlakeMarler/playlists - This person has uploaded 15 full years of the show so far - complete 1992 to 2007. They are a god sent!