Guiding Light discussion thread

• Replies 13.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

Ewww...the aimless Anderson and Manetta era...whatever happened to Manetta?  And Rusty is so damn cheesy! I wonder why they never brought a teenage or early 20s Dorie back, she would have been a funny addition to kick Moniz' Dinah's butt. 

• Members

Just start watching. There are some early eps around. I started watching what I could find- a few from the 50s then it jumps to late 70s, the ones I could find. Now I'm on 1990.

There was a period in the mid 80s I didn't like, can't remember exactly. But late 70s to early mid 80s was good. Then like I said a few years kind of sucked. Then around 89/90 it started getting good again. 

I have watched some from the 2000s and won't go past 2002 ish. 

Edited by Keri

• Members

It all depends on what kind of content you prefer.

Personally, I enjoy more realistic family drama and interpersonal relationsips, so I'd start with the long slew of radio episodes from 1950 which are available on the Internet Archives.

Youtube has many TV eps of TGL from 1966 which are also great. 

The years 1989 to about 1993 are also worth a look.

After that, based on my personal anti-camp mindset, I couldn't recommend anything.

ITA. I loved TGL from 1950 to about 1983-ish, then found it unwatchable until 1989. 

From 1989 to 1992 it was great again, but then just...collapsed and never recovered until the show staggered to its ultimate (and long overdue) death.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

The good old circular Bauer Spanish style fireplace, which stuck it out almost to the end..( I just watched a Inside the Light on Rick and Mel and she is having her family over to the Bauers and somehow the fireplace ended up in the kitchen..) I have ALWAYS wanted a fireplace like that and most likely why I love Spanish style. This is a good, though odd set. Most soap homes were generic, the Bauers has the Spanish element and they even mimiced plaster in the walls.

Maybe I just grew up on a faster pace but I do have to say, some of this is SLOOWWWW... "Viola called..." (pause)..."Did she say anything?" (pause)..."No," (pause) "Well I better call her back"  is a bit tedious..people in real life don't talk like that.

Bernau is a piece of a** in his younger days, MG is ageless...Hope is dull (they needed the character back, but Rousell was like watching paint dry) and Charita was younger then, then I am now!!! No ego on her playing an adult woman's grandmother and such a comforting feeling watching her.

Edited by Mitch64