Guiding Light discussion thread

• Members

Terry Lester. He left ATWT in spring of 1994, so I wonder if P&G maybe considered him as a potential Alan.

Were any daytime veterans considered for Alan when the part was recast in 1994? I'm surprised a daytime newcomer was cast in such a pivotal role.

Edited by KateW

• Replies 13.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

Its funny that in the mid 90s and thereafter that the show considered Reva the main draw when she wasn't even the main reason several people I knew in college and post college started watching the show.

The character that caught their attention was Blake. In fact, my one college roommate started watching with me in late 2001/early 2002 right when the toru grainger story was starting. Her favorite story was that...and I remember her being crushed during the summer that she had to go study abroad and when she returned in the fall..the story was wrapped up with no long lasting effects. So I explained it to her..about the final showdown.between Blake.and Tory and she thanked me and thought the ending sounded fascinating.

With that said, the Blake they all saw was Liz K's version. She took the comical undertones that Sherry S infused and ran with it...the writers took advantage of that and made Blake almost a caricature.. when Liz k was capable of playing Blake the way sherry S played her.

E. Dennehy's Blake was almost tragic, sherrys Blake had the tragic element but was more sardonic...Liz's Blake was more comical but could be sarcastic/sardonic as well.

Thoughts on the three primary Blake's?

• Members

I think he was clean-shaven in the Amish story.

I always felt like there was more of an idea of the show being all about Reva than there was a reality, with some exceptions like the clone story. Maybe this changed after I quit watching for good (2003 or 2004), but during times like 1996, I felt like Wendy Moniz was in my face 5 days a week. Later on this became the mob, San Cristobel, etc.

• Members

Blake was one of my favorite characters. I preferred SS in the role, as I think the writers and the actor both understood the character and wrote to SS's strengths. And she had great chemistry with MG and JvD.

LK's take on the character I grew to like. But the edge/grayness of the character faded away with her, again the writing contributed to that.

There were a lot of interesting female leads on this show. I think calling it the "Reva Show" had legs in the press, so they went with it.