Guiding Light discussion thread

• Replies 13.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

Did Cindy Pickett always have that short haircut.I'm surprised if so as we usually have our young women with long flowing locks.Jackie was looking a little butch.

Tom O'Rourke was towering over Jerry.How tall was he?

Nice to see Bert,Peggy and Adam.Viewers want to see familiar faces.A lesson TPTB ignored.

Both Peggy and Holly looked so plain...

• Members

I totally agree. I lost all interest in GL shortly after Ellen Wheeler's Peapack nightmare began, I could hear the bell tolling, and it was painful to watch, but I did chime in for the last 2 weeks. I was more devastated by the loss of ATWT, which I started watching when my aunt would babysit for me aroud 79-80sad.pngsad.png . Now as she's older and has dementia, when I visit we talk about "Nasty Dr. Dixon" and "That old Tart Lisa". It's one of the few things she still talks about, before fading back into her mind. Dr. Bob, Nancy, Kim, "That drunk Susan", are her favorites. Losing her is going to be sad one day, but ATWT has been keeping her with us for about four years now.

Edited by slick jones

• Members

In one of the 1977 or so episodes available of her, she had longer, darker hair.

It's weird because usually women on soaps with hair like that are/were presented as bad girls or troubled women. Yet Cindy said they wrote the character more sympathetically because of her performance in the role. It's another example of GL's women defying convention.

• Members

The loss of ATWT was tougher for me too b/c that was the show that I'd sit and watch with my late grandma as a child up until she passed. She passed a few months shy of the finale and I remember bawling like a baby once that damn globe started to spin. I had my epiphany seeing as I was one of the few that didn't cry at the funeral.

I watched GL with her too but since we got to see it end together, it didn't affect me as bad as ATWT did. But I miss both shows so much. People used to sh*t on them for not being exciting as GH, but that's what I loved about them. They were simplistic and the characters were people I loved.

Ugh. Again I hate P&G.

• Members

Soapcentral is usually wrong.

Peggy returned for part of 1979, mostly just behind the nurses' desk. I don't know if she ever had a real exit. She's there up to Jackie's miscarriage - not sure after that.

I guess you could say it's passing the torch to the newer nurses like Katie and Hilary. Kind of sad though that a character who literally grew up on the show didn't get a bigger goodbye.

• Members

How long did they keep this font? I prefer it to the later font with these credits.

That music worked so much better as a closing theme.

Eve is so sweet and kind and she got so little in return from the Wexlers.

I love Hope's return scene - light and fun and warm, instead of a lot of contrivance and misery.

• Members

Thanks for the heads-up, Carl. I'm glad the channel is back (although I see they are posting PP again - isn't that what got them in trouble in the first place?). I hope they can re-upload that great haul of GL they had from 1981 and 1982 back up again. I was just getting started on it when they were pulled from YT.

Even so, for those that have yet to see these 1979 episodes, you are in for a treat. This is the year that Michael Zaslow should have won an Emmy for, IMHO.