Guiding Light discussion thread

• Members

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JLXrnrBXrP4

Carrie seems to be dressed like a femme fatale (although the way it's let out makes it looks like she's wearing a tent). Great to get to see more of Carrie 2. Jane Elliot plays up that tough persona without overdoing it. The sad part of her talking about how she can dump Ross via letter is that's how the show ended up writing Carrie out. Seeing that set makes me sad too, as I think that ended up being the show's longest-lasting set by the time they dumped it in the early or mid-00's. I wonder if Ross ever thought of Carrie when he looked around the place.

I'd seen the Nola/Maureen scene but I don't remember the later part. Nola smiling at her sister's happiness with Ed kind of touches my heart.

I've seen the pool party stuff and, call me prudish, but I can't help thinking it was tacky for Morgan and Kelly to have sex in a pool that belonged to the person letting them live on his property. All these random pool parties with random people - no wonder Bert moved out. I will say that Morgan looks very fetching with the bikini and the robe - now I can see why she got some modeling work.

I remember reading something about Tony beating up Derek but never really knew much about it. I see a bit of it in the opening credits.

Poor Amanda is dressed in the punishing idea of what a businesswoman should be, which is, apparently, the Chicken Lady from Kids in the Hall.

Carrie's behavior at that party turns out to be a wild ride.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uR_GIPMRzLw

Never seen any of this Carrie material. It's very strong, especially that last part when Carrie 2 is afraid Carrie 1 could still come back. OLTL did this with Viki/Niki but they did it so much it descended into camp. Here, you really do feel concerned and scared and confused.

I can't remember if Floyd ever found out about all the lies. Maybe he did and that's a reason he wanted custody. I don't know.

I wish they'd had more of Derek and Nola. Maybe he could have gotten a job with Quint and gotten tangled up with Helena.

You know someone once told me that when Marland was writing, it was difficult to remember that Hillary was a Bauer. You can sort of see that here. I was shocked when she mentioned her history.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qLtvxZYTpPk

• Replies 13.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

The Morgan/Kelly/Rita/Ed/Nola/etc. material has been up for years, but the rest of this seems to be new. It's a continuation of the episode NBA linked above.

I never knew that Mike and Elizabeth got such closure. I guess it explains why she never wanted to come back. She did it to herself, by giving everything up to protect Philip, but I do feel a little sorry for her. It's fine work from Don Stewart and Lizbeth Dalton.

There's some terrific, understated work from Robert Milli and Barbara Berjer too, as the Thorne marriage is over and done, to Barbara's surprise and sorrow.

It's also a blast to see Ross poking at Vanessa again and again, and not having a ton of patience for crazy Lucille either. He was a lot of fun as a heel. I just love Lucille, who is such a ridiculous character. I wish she'd stayed longer.

All the bad disco dancing, classic Roberta and Donny tunes, and rare hints of realism (like the men gawking at Rita - who wouldn't?) I never get tired of watching. The pained conversation between Rita and Ed at the disco and Morgan's futile attempts at sneaking around I also never get tired of watching. Morgan was so lively at this point, something the show needed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_gAS-nr-MK8

Edited by DRW50

• Members

Hey there, first time poster here (but long time lurker)!

Been watching a lot of the 1984 GL clips on YouTube recently, particularly the storyline with Reva and the Lewises. One thing that struck me while watching the clips was how nasty and vitriolic Billy (and Mindy to a lesser extent) was toward Reva, especially when she and HB got married. There were a few instances where it actually got uncomfortable for me to watch at times, he was that nasty to her.

What I'm trying to figure out is when exactly Billy eventually softened towards Reva, as there aren't really any clips of that on YouTube showing that conversation. Would it have been when Reva had her miscarriage after Vanessa ran her over, or was there something else that I completely overlooked?