Guiding Light discussion thread

• Members

Yes, Doug inherited Amanda's parentage from the Dobsons. That was one of their final storylines for GL, going to broadcast just a month or two before they left. My comments were not a swipe at Doug rather an observation that I found Amanda particularly obnoxious during that era. From a character standpoint, her behavior made perfect sense. I like to compare her to ATWT's Lily. Remember how Lily reacted when she learned the truth about Iva and Josh, and then later found out that Lucinda was responsible for Holden's amnesia? Every day she was upset and lashing out at someone about something. Well, Amanda was the prototype for Lily. Just as Lily evolved and became more likeable when she met Damian, so did Amanda with Mark. And, that story happened within a month or so of Doug's departure, so perhaps it had been planned by him all along. I do know that PFS wrote the scripts, regardless of whose idea the story was.

I thought it was a big mistake to write Amanda, Jennifer, and Mark out. That is another plot development of which I am unsure. I do not know whether or not Doug intended for Mark to be bad, or if later writers made him Samuel Pasquin in order to get rid of him. I do wish that they had all remained on the canvas longer.

I am unfamilar with "the late Classic GL", but the person is correct about Jennifer's brother Chet and Bill Herndon, who played him so over the top.

Yes, PFS created Company in one of the most bizarre accidents on daytime. It was surreal to say the least, but they certainly got a good deal of mileage out of it.

• Replies 13.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

Kahlil Lowry, who had a blog about GL and put up a lot of vintage material. He liked to write about most of these and had some interesting insights into various eras of the show. He passed away in late 2008. It's his clips, along with Oakdalian's ATWT material, which got me back into the P&G soaps after washing my hands of them in 2003-2004.

http://glmemories.blogspot.com/

That's such a classic Vanessa line.

• Members

I had quit watching GL for a while in the late 70s. When I tuned in again my first experience of Amanda was when she had regressed to her little girl persona. I couldn't stand her and couldn't understand why so many men were attracted to her. I finally started liking her when she was with Mark and then he was killed off!

Edited by jam6242

• Members

So Bill went off to Chicago to live with Simone.when he came back in 84,was Simone mentioned?

Strange that Hillary would stay in Springfield with her new family and not join her parents in Chicago.

How was this explained?

One of the first things PFS did was introduced Black characters,mother and son Helen and Clay Tynan.

• Members

Watching the September 1992 episode, I'm put off at how rude and pushy Harley is. I don't know if later years are coloring my view of her, but even at the time, I thought making her a cop was a mistake and I disliked her with abrasive, muttering Mallet. I loved the character when she had more life and fun.

This also has the Alan-Michael/Eleni stuff which seemed to go on for a million years. Alan-Michael was so wasted throughout this time.

• Members

Bill had gone back to drinking and was in a seedy hotel when Silas Crocker (right???) pushed him out the window. They just have the news related to the Bauers in SF and Bert mentions going to call Simone as she had to be crazed with grief, which is good ole Bert Bauer there, I woulda said, "To hell with her!"

• Members

Summaries of episodes available to view at Paley Center

Tuesday Nov 27th 1979

Jackie returns to pack up her possessions now that she and Alan have decided to divorce. She warns him that after two divorces he should be careful not to repeat his pattern of behavior and hurt Hope once he's sure of her love. Later that evening Alan goes to see Hope, who is unsure of why he wants to marry her. When he becomes irate during a phone call informing him that the whereabouts of Green are unknown, Hope confesses that she doesn't even recognize him anymore. Meanwhile, Dr. Quinn hypnotizes Holly to recall the events of the night she shot Roger. Her latent memory reveals that her actions were due to fear that Roger would rape her again. Consequently, the authorities witnessing the hypnosis believe she is eligible for a new trial to clear her name. Rita, also raped by Roger, is missing from the hospital where she is due to have an abortion. Returning home to her anxious mother, she reveals that she's been to see her pastor to discuss the situation, and, by the end of the program, decides to have the baby after all.

Tuesday Jan 2nd 1961

Papa Bauer encourages Robin Fletcher to say goodbye to Mike, her soon-to-be ex-husband, who will be stopping by before leaving for New York. Mike's parents, Bert and Bill, discuss Mike's living arrangements in New York and his efforts to get over Carl's death, as Mike packs his bags upstairs. Bert doesn't want Mike to see Robin before he leaves. Mike, Bert, and Bill stop off to see Papa Bauer and Robin; Robin is cool toward them. When Mike talks to Robin alone on the patio, she returns her wedding ring to him and wishes him well.

Wednesday Oct 2nd 1963

Meta, Papa Bauer, and Bert wait for word on Julie, who is pregnant and has been in an accident. Bert tells Meta that Julie was already pregnant when Julie and Michael got married. Bruce Banning calls from the hospital and tells Meta to bring Bert and Papa Bauer there at once. In the hospital waiting room with George Hayes, Michael expresses remorse over the circumstances of his marriage to Julie. In the operating room, Dr. Banning and others deliver Julie's baby girl.

Edited by Paul Raven