GL: Logan Rant

• Members

Logan Rant in TV Guide:

He talks mostly about how bad the new production model was, the sound being inaudible at times, the zooming in on things like belt buckles, walls and whatnot. Characters talking about nothing alot of the time.

He says they misjudged the loyalty of their audience and their tolerance level for this kind of stuff, either that or they think their audience are idiots. The show should have been trying to lure in viewers with take your breath away, stir your soul storytelling, instead of a new production model.

He says all of this led to a loss of a once great, beloved show, and that it will take a long time to get over that.

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

ICAM with everything he said.

I am still PISSED that P&G, TeleNext, CBS and mostly EW and JLH/DK did to my fuckin.g show!!!

I'm mad at this ill-thoughtout, horribly executed "production model" that EW did last year. And that P&G let her get away with it. This was my show they treated like a lab experiment.

I'm pissed that GL's "magic number" that caused it's cancelation is now the average rating for other shows, and they're still around. Particularly ATWT, that hit 1.6/1.7 regularly yet they can add expensive vets to their cast. When GL was above 2.0, TPTB had their cast slashed in half!

I'm very, very pissed that the writing suffered for YEARS and EW did nothing about it. ICAM with Logan that if EW would have hired a good writer, we all may not be seeing the end of an institution. She just sat there and watched as they turned Harley into a COMIC BOOK character (among many other horrible stories).

And now they've DK a place on ATWT's writing staff? UGH.

• Members

I don't know why EW and P&G haven't publicized this more to defend themselves, but the new GL production model came at a very rough time. The team of writers wrote exactly ONE script before the WGA went on strike. So for the first three months of trying to learn the new production model, the producers were also getting scripts written by people who were either written by amateurs or people not associated with the show.

Yes, the production model had major issues at the beginning. BUT IT IMPROVED. And when the strike ended, the writing improved. Why is Logan complaining about an old issue? I guess it's the same reason that Carolyn Hinsey chooses to bash GL by complaining about the Cassie/Josh story (which has been over for a year) and Grady (who has been off the show for over 6 months.) Could it be that Logan and Hinsey are hacks? That's my guess.

• Members

The "new" production model was horrendous at the beginning and yes, I suppose you could say it "improved" to horrible at the end. There were constant problems with sound. EW had all these four-wall sets built and most of them were unusable. Those are facts. EW's consistent reliance on that fucked up so-called "contemporary" music playing in the background sucked what little emotional resonance the scenes had right out of them.

And look how they handled the last week of storytelling. EW and JLH are hacks. Neither one of them should be allowed to come anywhere near a soap opera again IMHO.

• Members

That's another thing I will never understand. She completely abandoned traditional soap opera cues and music for this cheaper, substandard music(with the exception of maybe a few artists).

Could she not have used Siewert? Was he too expensive? They could have picked any random NYU music student to create piano cues for them on the cheap. It would have been something great for him to place on his portfolio.

I will never understand this. Part of what makes a soap opera, well, a soap opera, is the dramatic score.

• Members

Exactly! And apparently, EW had access to some of the old scores cuz as someone pointed out in the monthly discussion thread, she used Reva and Josh's old music in the finale.

That makes it more puzzling. She had this great music to choose from and still chose that other crap?!?! Mind boggling.

• Members

I agree with Logan. They should have found a way to lure in a new audience by writing out much of the cast and brining in the next generation of Lewis', Coopers', Bauers', Rearden's, and Spaulding's. Anchor the new cast by some vets like Josh, Olivia, Beth, Billy and Alan. Don't try to reinvent the show, but recreate it with fresh faces that a new audience would find appealing and come up with some fresh ideas. Then wait for the audience to grow. EW and DK were total hacks. They did worse to GL then John Conboy and Ellen Weston did to the show in 1 year. JC's mistakes could have been fixed under Wheeler and DK, but they just did whatever they wanted and ruined the show 20 times worse.

• Members

Conboy and Weston did some disastrous stuff, but GL just got really goofy after that. I don't think DK was really cut out for that role as head writer and I don't think EW was a good choice for EP. I think MADD should have brought in a much stronger pair to try to salvage the show the best they could. I don't think DK and EW did the best they could.

Archived