Ugh, Y&R adding MORE characters

• Members

Aw HELL no, GT is far too young to be playing Diane who could be somebody's grandmother at this point. I hope that's just a rumor, do I really need to lose any more faith in TIIC? Wait, but little Nate is Olivia and Nathan's son, Malcolm has a Nate too? It *would* be nice to see Nate SORASed (now there's a role for Lawrence) but then again it really wouldn't because we all know he'd be backburnered/sidelined and would probably fare worse than Devon.

BTW, where are Tyra and Devon, where did that leave off after Tatyana Ali caught them?

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

There's no reason to bring back Diane. The story will just be about Jack losing out again and what a bad father Jack is. They will probably have her sniff after Victor.

Hogan gave Lamman Rucker about six months of big story (which was all about a man dominating and humiliating a woman), before killing him off. Or was it more than six months, I don't remember.

• Members

I don't buy that. How is writing for black characters any different to writing for white characters? Yes, they've been ignoring the Winters family, but I don't believe that has anything to do with them being black. I firmly believe that TPTB knew for MONTHS that Tyra wasn't working and that's why she, Neil and Devon were backburnered.

People, this Malcolm thing means they're EXPANDING the black cast. It's a GOOD thing. Stop with the hate!

Susan Walters? GOD yes!

• Members

Nate looked to Malcolm as a father figure and with Nathan dead he's all he's got.

It's pretty clear there's been a writers bias when it comes to the segregated black characters. Olivia is a 15 year vet and when she returned they gave her nothing to do but be a talk to. They didn't even bring back Nate and let her be a mother. Then you look at how they do all these damaging plot developments in two or three days max and it shows a lack of dedication to telling their stories. Putting Devon and Tyra together and never showing his relationship with Roxanne was about keeping them segregated. Roxanne COULD'VE been a popular character, but she never had the chance to interact with Kevin, Jana, Chloe and the other people her age. Same for Devon and Tyra. It's like they're aliens.

I have no reason to believe it'll be any better when Malcolm arrives.

• Members

thats my big issue with Y&R. the segregation. but its not a race thing, IMHO. because everyone is segregated into there own little clique/storyline. lauren only interacts with michaels family; ashley has been stuck with adam and victor; phyliss only interacts with nick/sharon/jack/pattyjane; etc...

• Members

I enjoy the consistency with this portion of the cast, but the decisions they make don't affect the entire canvas, and therein lies the segregation. Even poor Lily's problems are never as detrimental as Chloe's lies, or Amber's past. When Malcolm returns it will only affect The Winters, who the rest of the canvas have absolutely no stake in. Malcolm's return is like a band-aid for complaints of a chest pain.

It's good that they're expanding the Winters clan, but how did it ever get to be this small and concentrated in the first place? Did they really need Malcolm to spice up this portion of the cast? I think race/racial history is the deciding factor. Neil has no formidable enemies challenging his character, maybe Malcolm will change this. But I'm getting to the point where I'm not so interested in "waiting to see what'll happen". I'm starting to not care either way.

• Members

How about just getting Shermar for a limited run? Dude is hot and can actually raise the ratings a fraction. Of course, what would REALLY lift the audience numbers would be the well-publicized return of a certain Barber DEE-VAH. No doubt Stafford, Bergman and Khalil would fight that return with everything they've got.

• Members

I bet Malcolm will have one scene with Lily. She'll go back ot the white cast while Malcolm will mingle with only blacks. Maybe they'll right Malcolm gay this way Rafe & Philip 3rd can be in a gay triangle. & TIIC can cover their bases with a black, a latin, & white being gay.

I wonder do they have signs whites & Lily only. Then the other sign reads other minorties Blacks, Rafe, his aunt, & gays.

• Members

I wonder if any Guiding Light actors will be trying out for the role of the maverick billionaire. That role almost made it sound like it was a Victor recast but there is a better chance of Y&R having a sex scene between JT and P4 than recasting Victor.

Hopefully this man won't fall in love with Gloria.

Archived