Legendary Emmy-winning soap scribe PAMELA K. LONG comes to Brandon's Buzz!

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Who was Nick?

Thanks, I never knew the character existed. Did they lay groundwork for him with Harley but then he just vanished?

I'm surprised CBS would be upset about a relationship between a Jew and a Gentile. Was it that controversial by 1990?

• Members

Pilon's Alan seemed so off to me.

So Long fired Elizabeth Denehy and replaced her with Sherry Stringfield? I prefer Sherry, although I haven't seen much of Denehy.

Were you saying Beth Ehlers was involved with Cynthia Watros?

I know all the rumors about her and Bogue, and then of course there were rumors about her and Murray Bartlett, but there are also rumors he's gay, so who knows.

Was it Long who decided to kill off Pops Cooper? I don't remember much about him. One longtime fan once told he was a boring old man and was better off dead.

• Members

Watros and Ehlers, rumor has it that there was a "thing," going on the set. Who knows. If true, I am jealous that skinny little sharp featured chick got some of the best ass walking into the studio!!!

The rumors of her and Bartlett started because Wheeler broke up Marina and Cyrus as she saw a "real life," couple that had incredible chemistry and had to pair them on the show. Knowing Ehlers rep everyone assumed she was banging the latest hottie on the show, and were astounded that the real life couple was actually RB and the Marina actress: Bogue was married at the time, recently having reconciled with his wife after the BE affair, which ended miserably, as BE tried to get him fired. I think all GL viewers will be astounded with that as M & M will go down in history as one of soaps' most chemistry lacking couples. And yes, word is that Bartlet is gay.

Long hated Denehy and the actress knew it. I for one, never liked Stringfield that much, she was way too over the top and bitchy, but she brought a great comic edge to Blake...(loved the scene when Vera, Alex's maid, was serving tea and she leaned over to serve and purposely stuck her ass in Blake's face, Stringfields reaction was hilarious.)

Long did kill off Pops in the first of the to be copied many times, 5th Street Fires. Pop was boring as he had nothing to say or do, he was practically invalid and I don't think ment to be a long term character...he was there to show that Frank and Harley had no one else to raise them (I know that this would be news to Kreizman, Hurst and Wheeler, but the Coopers are ment to be as dysfunctional in their own way as the Spauldings.)

Pilon's Alan was a place holder in case CB got better. Hence, why he was sent off to jail.

• Members

I got the impression that Dennehy was leaving on her own accord. Then again, maybe the end of her contract cycle was coming up and she was going to be fired? I say this because I read GL's late casting director Betty Rea say in SOD that when she spotted Sherry Stringfield at SUNY Purchase' acting showcase she knew that they'd be needing a new Blake coming up soon. That's how Sherry got discovered.

No offense to RR, but in hindsight DP doesn't seem like such an awful Alan in comparison to RR. RR seems like a 50/50 mix of DP and CB, DP's cold moustache-twirling villainy and CB's dark complexity. I read that when CB fell ill, Beverlee McKinsey suggested her old bud from Texas, Danny Davis (who played her ex, Eliot) for the role of her brother Alan.

• Members

No Dennehy definatley got fired, she was only there for one cycle...she started in summer and ended in fall.

I really don't like RR as Alan, can't figure out what the hand wringing on other boards is about killing him (especially since the whole show is dead) as they should have done it long ago...Alan became a tedious character and an easy out to the writers, instead of creating something organic it was Alan again with a stupid plot.

I thought a great Alan would have been that guy who played the father (and eventual murderer) on Twin Peaks and who played the devil on some show that is playing now. Perfect combo of evil and sexiness who would have made a great Alan.

• Members

I think Pops was long dead by 1993. I think he was gone before Nadine or Buzz showed up. I wish they'd kept him around to interact with Buzz at least, as I would have liked to have seen Buzz not so easily settled into the role of Cooper patriarch.

So did MB and RB ask to be put together and Wheeler agreed? I thought that was one of the all time worst pairings ever on GL.

Archived