Search For Tomorrow Discussion Thread

• Members

David Cherrill started using Dr. Rogers in early 1983. He informed Liza she was pregnant with Tourneur. Gary Tonkin continued to use him during the pregnancy storyline and he was in the delivery room in July, 1983. I’ve seen those. I’ve heard he also made an appearance at Jo’s memorial when she was presumed dead.

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

Yes, this is the episode that I had hoped would be uploaded to youtube again.

Certain soaps have not seemed to care very much about their own histories, veteran players, and traditions for a long time. Vets gets discarded without a thought, traditions go unacknowledged, anniversaries are not celebrated the way they should be. It's a shame, because viewers love the history, the vets, the traditions and the anniversaries. If DAYS ever stops letting us see the trimming of the Horton family tree at Christmas, viewers might revolt. Seriously, LOL.

That's great, thanks. The soap history books I have maintain he left in 1979, but I suppose that meant when he was taken off contract.

• Members

Funny you should mention that.. one year ( i think it was 2011).. they opted not to do the horton Christmas ornament scene preferring to hang the ornaments in the new Horton Town Square... fans were livid and the tradition was restored the next year.  I still recall when after Alice Horton passed away, the show was going to get rid of the set because it was designed back when shows had budgets and it was too costly to keep.. fans were livid over that announcement.. a few months later, Jennifer came back to the show full time and moved into the house thus the set was saved (or redesigned so it could fit without costing too much).

• Members

There was a year during Hogie's run as headwriter when ATWT practically ignored Christmas. I was livid. One thing that everyone always associated Oakdale with was family togetherness and celebrations during major holidays. Sheffer concentrated one some stupid story or another, but all I wanted to see was the Hughes family laughing, singing, and listening to Dr. Bob's speech in the Hughes living room.

TPTB underestimate how much the Horton living room, the Chancellor living room, the Bauer kitchen, the Hughes kitchen, Ryan's bar, etc., mean or meant to the audience. When the idiots at TGL had a mob shoot out in the Bauer kitchen, I went insane. It was like defecating on the altar at church. UGH.

I am grateful to DAYS for sparing the Horton house. I saw it during Julie's 50th anniversary recently, and it was lovely. I care more about that set than I do about 95% of the characters, LOL.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

Not sure if posted before.. but here is a link from when the show celebrated their 9000th episode, along with a brief interview with Pam Long detailing her plans.  

http://articles.latimes.com/1986-06-26/entertainment/ca-21528_1_love-story

NEW YORK — When you're the longest-running daytime soap opera on television, you just have to kick up your heels every now and then, and that's what the cast and crew of "Search for Tomorrow," which premiered on Sept. 3, 1951, did last week. To celebrate the taping of the show's 9,000th episode, there was a champagne reception at the Manhattan studio where the soap is taped daily.

In September, "Search for Tomorrow" will be celebrating its 35th anniversary--and another celebration bash is anxiously awaited.

In the meantime, what's in store for the show's story lines?

New executive story consultant Pamela K. Long (she joined the show last month) has lots of ideas that she hopes will keep the audience glued to their couches.

"I intend to utilize all of our existing characters," said Long. "We're not bringing on anybody new right away and we don't have any big plans to get rid of anybody. I like the current characters. In my mind, Jo and Stu (played by Mary Stuart and Larry Haines) are the backbone of the show. Their friendship has endured since the show debuted.

"The McCleary brothers, Cagney (Matthew Ashford), Quinn (Jeffrey Meek) and Hogan (David Forsyth), really sparked my imagination and made me want to get involved with 'Search for Tomorrow.' I think the McClearys and their women are the lifeblood of the show because their connections cross through all the story lines."

pixel.gif

Known for her Gothic-style stories from her previous writing work on "Guiding Light" and "Texas," Long said she has a different style in mind for "Search for Tomorrow."

"I intend to bring a reality to my storytelling on 'SFT,' which is a result of my own personal growth. I'm not interested in wild, outlandish, fantasy-type stories. People and their relationships are more fascinating to me."

Some of the story lines she will be developing over the next few months, along with that of the McCleary brothers, will include a torrid love triangle between Patti (Jacqueline Schultz), Liza (Louan Gideon) and Hogan; there will be a hot new love story between Quinn and Evie (who is now played by Joanna Going) which Long hopes "will rival the love story of Bo and Hope Brady (Peter Reckell and Kristian Alfonso) on 'Days of Our Lives."'

Also in the works is a steamy love story between Sunny (Marcia McCabe) and Bela (Lee Godart) that will exemplify the light and dark forces of love.

Comments "Search for Tomorrow" executive producer David Lawrence, who joined the show last March: "I'm very happy to have joined a company that's achieved such an amazing record. I look forward to building onto the show's achievements.

"We took a long, hard look at our show to determine what we had that's really unique," Lawrence continued.

"In addition to all the values that have kept the show on the air for nearly 35 years, it seems apparent that a major strength is the fact that we have the three attractive, charismatic McCleary brothers, and so for a period of time we will be focusing our major stories on their strengths and conflicts. We've also created a new opening for the show, which now includes clips of all of our performers."

• Members

Thanks for sharing that. It's difficult to imagine Sunny and Bela as stormy based on the little I've seen. 

Champagne reception. And this was when the ratings were low and they were on the way out. Imagine that today. They'd be lucky to have Lunchables. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

"I intend to utilize all of our existing characters," said Long. "We're not bringing on anybody new right away and we don't have any big plans to get rid of anybody. I like the current characters."

Known for her Gothic-style stories from her previous writing work on "Guiding Light" and "Texas," Long said she has a different style in mind for "Search for Tomorrow." "I intend to bring a reality to my storytelling on 'SFT,' which is a result of my own personal growth. I'm not interested in wild, outlandish, fantasy-type stories. People and their relationships are more fascinating to me."

Sigh. If only she had not butchered 2/3 of the cast when she was on TGL, and if only she had not foisted dumb, campy stories onto that once-fine show.

• 4 weeks later...