ATWT: August Thread Discussion

• Members

DC says Courtney Sherman has been fired for Josh Griffith. I don't know what Courtney is like as a writer, I've always had a fondness for her because I liked her work as Dr. Michaels. She's been with ATWT for a long time. Why was she fired in favor of someone who hasn't done any good soap work since 1994?

• Replies 167
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I don't understand the switch myself. I've had problems with ATWT's "continuity" for a while, and I really think the way some of the episodes are structured are just plain choppy and bad. But I don't know how much of that falls under her responsibilities, and how much falls on the director or the HW and ExProducer.

If anything, my guess is it's more of a monetary move. Ironic that of all the writing changes that could REALLY help the show, like getting rid of Pissy and Laiman, the people who must bear a big part of the responsibility for the crappy plotting, it's the underlings that are getting canned.

• Members

You may be right. I thought Josh Griffith might cost more since he's been co-EP or co-HW at several shows.

It sucks that the most necessary changes aren't happening. Clearly SOMEONE is trying to fix ATWT - the show has undergone a noticeable shift in the past few months - but as with GL, the rot can't be fixed unless it's fixed from the top.

• Members

Pretty much.

The writing continues to suck like crazy, but the thunderous complaint is over a set. It's precisely why the Kiss Ban Campaign BS rubbed me the wrong way. Make waves about something that actually matters. The sucky writing is the ROOT of the problems with the show's stories. Getting them to write the show better begets all of those other things.

• Members

A good show today with Bob & Babs interacting....the Emily/Barbara scenes and Tom/Margo/Adam stuff. The show is still running a warp spped. And didnt really care for Cheryl Davis script especially the Barbara scenes with Emily. The script could have been better. Of course CD doesnt know the history between the two women.

• Members

Today highlighted a problem with the way TIIC torch characters until they decide to recast and bring them back. This whole thing with Adam---it took a disgusting turn today. Margo, his mother and former rape victim, is "hypothetically" asking Tom how Adam could get off on attempted rape charges. Now, it's bad enough that TIIC have played fast and loose with Adam's personality, and the history that they only wrote two years ago, by suggesting that the reason Adam skipped out of the country was because he faced rape charges, when that wasn't the case---the only charges he faced were connected to Casey's robbery of Crash, for framing Will. No charges were filed. EVER. Maddie and Gwen kept silent because they stupidly buried the body after Maddie hit him. Will and Casey even allowed Adam to escape after a second attack so Maddie and Gwen, lest the girls face charges.

But to have a rape victim try to find a way to get an attempted rapist off the hook? Is this supposed to make me believe "Adam's paid for his crimes"? It's bad enough Margo's "too upset" to make her son face the consequences of his actions when she badgers her other son to death for every mistake he makes. But as a rape victim, to dismiss what her son did, simply because he's "her son" is repellent.

I don't know why Margo even bothered asking Tom. Why not just have her go to a shady shark of a lawyer behind Tom's back? Her brother employs them by the score.

It was nice seeing Barbara back in rare form. The "blonde barracuda" comment was hilarious.

Dr. Bob. :(

• Members

Today was the first day I actually got irritated with Margo. Up till now I've been able to see her side of it, but when they actually brought up the fact that Adam is an almost-rapist it all just fell flat. I just can't believe that Margo would be so forgiving about something like that after what happened to her. It's such a shame, since Margo's rape story was so incredibly well done and this story taints the memory of that.

Otherwise Barbara was the only thing worth watching today. Ok, it's always nice to see Bob too. But this "new" version of Paul Ryan is grating on my nerves just as much as the old one did.

• Members

They probably shouldn't have brought up the rape at all.

I don't understand why they cast Michael Woods for this Henry story. I know he wasn't a big character on ATWT (although he did dominate airtime for most of 1999), but every time I see him I think of that endless story with Eddie "man" Silva, and trying to drown Tom while they went out camping. The facial hair doesn't make a difference.

• Members

I don't quite get casting Michael Woods, but it doesn't really bother me. Alec was ten years ago, and there's no one really on the canvas that was really tied to the plot other than Margo and Tom. I suspect he's got a friend and needed to keep up his insurance or something. This role seems to be a very limited run anyway.

I guess this out of the blue "rape charge" thing just irritates me. I guess Margo keeping a secret from her husband, making her other son lie and harboring a suspected fugitive who's lying about his identity isn't enough jeopardy to put Margo in....they had to retool history and act like everyone knew all along that Adam nearly raped Gwen. I suppose when

And they still haven't mentioned Adam being Parker's brother too. Good grief, his half-brother tried to rape his aunt. Since they'll probably never have a scene together it doesn't matter---but poor Parker. He's got one messed up family tree.

• Members

Shows like today give me hope. ATWT still has so much great characters and if only the TPTB would get their act together. This show could be watchable. The previews for next week look outstanding especially the Holden part at the end. First time in years I cant wait until next week.

• Members

I wish I could have found today interesting. Both stories weren't bad, but I didn't find them really compelling. I don't really buy Lily's sudden jealousy over Damian, and NuZenPaul is getting kind of annoying.

Still HATE how the previews give EVERYTHING away. GEEZ!

• Members

Giving everything away is a perfect way to lose viewers. Less and less people will feel the need to watch since they know what will happen.

Woah, hold the phone. Jay is played by the same guy that played Alec all those years ago? Wow. Cool.

Okay, thanks P.J. Now that I've started thinking about Alec, I'm re-living the greatest years of ATWT that I ever saw...1990's-early 2000's. Makes me sick thinking about then and looking at now. :(

• Members

It was nice seeing Emily & Barbara in scene together! I thought Barbara spotting the dog bone on Paul's hospital bed was hilarious! Paul still annoys me somewhat. The guy acts like a total airhead.

I can totally see where Noah is coming from about Luke ditching Holden for Damian, but what is up with all these characters doing 180s? Now, don't get me wrong...I actually prefer all the characters the way they are now. I love Holden when he's being the understanding father...I actually felt bad for him today concerning Luke's willingness to ditch their father/son trip to go on a business trip with Damian. It struck me as weird that Emma would be up in arms about Meg being with Paul yet she's willing to let Meg live and learn with Damian. I'm guessing she knows what Damian has done to her other family members, so for her to shrug her shoulders is...different. I never bought for a second that Lily would be fine with seeing her ex with another woman, least of all, Meg. It'd be nice if she were more subtle about it...but I am liking bitchy Lily.

Thank God he finally got rid of the Dusty hair! I actually went "Aww" when Damian gave Meg that shawl. Gah...I want a man like that. And niiice...Damian can see right through Lily. He still knows her so well. Man, oh, man was that kiss hot. I bet Damian's been wanting to kiss his cara for a very long time. It shows. :lol:

Agreed that the show shouldn't be revealing all next week's previews. I don't think it would make people not want to see the show. Personally, it actually makes me excited about wanting to see the show, but the surprise factor of the scene does go to hell. But with soaps these days, there are fewer loyal viewers, so I can see why TPTB think showing previews will help to increase the number of people who decide to tune in.

Archived