Y&R: Shocking Role Recast

• Members

Sean Kanan and Kirsten Storms were forgiven even though they endangered people with their drinking. Engen's alleged meltdown is minor in comparison to that. Even if the worst case scenario of this speculation is true, it's still not a crime. It's just a sad sorry chapter.

• Replies 899
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Oh, please, marceline!!!

Now you say it, after 30 pages!!! :lol:

Hilarious! :P

The thread was an interesting read: each time someone makes a rational conclusion, someone else comes, picks a thread from five pages ago, pandemonium erupts, more theses we've seen fifty times already and so on... :lol: Then rational conclusion, then rinse & repeat.

I was hoping this thread would reach 50 pages today. No such luck, I guess.

• Members

I resent your insinuation. I'm all for marked graves.

The excuses and rationales for the behavior do grow increasingly colorful, though. Frank Beaty! Let's just pull that out of a hat. Soon we will be hearing that Chris Engen was molested by Victor Lord, and having to kiss a man onscreen as a professional actor being paid on a multi-year contract was just too much for his fragile psyche - now his controlling alter 'Tris' is in control. Look for him driving on wooded back roads, with a baby in tow.

• Members
Vee, I'm a hypocrite and I admit it. If this were ANY other young actor on Y&R, even Billy Miller, I would probably just say, [!@#$%^&*] him and welcome to the new guy. The problem is I absolutely adore Chris Engen's performance. He is the only non-vet on any soap that I consider must-watch. It depresses me that he's off Y&R and it depresses me that he may never act again. The writing on our soaps, even the good ones, is often so spotty and odd that it's really our attachment to the actors that keep a lot of us hooked. My goodness, if it weren't for my love of Lucci, Canary, Hubbard and Morgan, I would never watch AMC again. Engen is one of the very few actors in my age range that I adore as much as my vets. I had hoped to see him on Y&R for a long time. So I have to admit that I'm biased even though I have really tried to be unbiased in my analysis and insight and opinion. Yet, I am sure have not been. I don't really have an excuse for CE, I just wish things were different.

• Members

Well, as long as we're being honest....

I'm glad Engen quit, regardless of the reasons he quit. I thought he sucked, was stiff, emotionless, lacked depth, couldn't emote to save his life, and could never really hold his own against most of the people he shared scenes with.

• Members

About as colorful as the hyprocrisy and intolerance too Vee. That's all I ahve to say.

I was working hard to not have hard feelings toward anyone but since you want to make it personal those cards are off the table.

To tell you the damn truth I have no feelings toward Engen one way or the other. I think he is good looking but as far as his acting I have no feelings one way or the other. I actually think the other guy will be a better suit for Adam.

My arguments in this have nothing whatsoever to do with him at all. My arguments are for the concept. I hate to see anyone tried and executed when it hasn't even been proven he is guilty yet.

As I said before Vee I am so glad that you ahve all the facts and can 100% positively say with so much accuracy what happened. Hell why doesn't Errol hire you as the official SON insider around here. Evidently you have all the proof and the know it all in the business. Hell lets just go and get the noose now and go and hunt the bigot down and hang him. [!@#$%^&*] he doesn't even deserve to live and breathe.

My biggest hope right now is that in a few weeks Engen is able to speak and if it turns out to be anything but what you folks believe it to be that all of you can still live with what you have done. If you can more power to you.

• Members

Tell me this, though: If it's true Engen walked out over a gay storyline, what am I supposed to be being tolerant of? His homophobia? Why should I?

If Chris Engen is proven to not be a homophobe (which I sincerely doubt - what am I going to do, take him at his word? Of course the guy hoping to work again will say he isn't homophobic, just like Isaiah Washington), I will eat crow; however, that won't change the fact that he apparently engaged in unprofessional behavior on-set and in quitting, which I have decried at length already.

• Members

I am sure you can discuss this when Vee is no longer angry and upset. You have made a series of valid points, but fighting is much mor fun than admitting that we don't have all the facts and the Chris Engen madness has no reason to exist.There is no reason to act like normal people, we can be activists.

• Members

I'm not the one angry and upset, screaming about bigots being hanged in a world gone mad. I'm resolute, but not upset.

We've had much more hullabaloo over sillier stuff than this; other contract disputes, personal issues behind the scenes. Threads thirty, fifty, a hundred pages long. But suddenly Steve decides we need to shut up when it's about the gays.

• Members

I don't expect you to be tolerant of his homophobia. I never said that. I have said over and over and over if he turns out to truly be homophobic then he is totally wrong and deserves what he gets. That is if he is homophobic.

But the fact remains we don't know.

How can people be so intolerant when they don't even know? That is the intolerance I am talking about.

We as gays constantly want people to treat us just like everyone else. To be given a chance. To not be judged or stereotyped. For people not to jump to conclusions about us.

We do not like it when people do that.

And then what happens here, everyone jumps to conclusions about Engen and assemble the lynch mob and try and convict him.

And darling what you are calling rationalizing is another jumping to conclusion on your part. I am not rationalizing anything that Engen did. I have simply tried to point out the many posibilities of what can or could have happened As an alternative of what you are so sure is the facts.

I am the first to admit that I don't know what happened, but neither do you.

YOu have or did have a statement in your siggy Vee.

"I hate your moral supremacy."

Well Vee I am sorry but you keep coming in here and preaching to all of us and saying stuff about you know the facts and saying we are rationalizing and all that stuff. Well you come off as someone who has some type of supremacy over the rest of us. What kind of supremacy is that.

I have no idea what happened, but I will say it again. I am going to be intolerant to the situation and to the chance that there might be some other reason behind this. I am definitely not going to take a blind sources word for it. And I am not going to 100% believe Nelson and I am not 100% going to believe Y&R.

For the same reasons that you say that you can't believe Engen, I can't believe them. If you don't believe whatever Engen said is between you and whoever.

I am sorry even though Nelson does get scoops, the Days fiasco is still out there and I still don't know what to believe about it. And I definitely don't trust Y&R for the very reasons I have stated - Jess Walton, Victoria Rowell, Adrianne Leon, Davetta Sherwood, and so on. And anytime that Paul Rauch is involved I am definitely not going to believe him. Even his cohort in the firings of Courtney, Reinholt, and Dwyer later turned on him in his autobiography.

So sorry but the sources behind the news are 100% reliable so sorry if I don't bow to the gay mafia and lynch the man just so that we can have another villain to roast in the homophobic trials.

And I am sorry I got so mad. I should have walked away when I read your post but your post came off so superior and mocking to me and my last post that I went off.

Whatever you choose to do is between you and whoever. As long as you can live with it and are comfortable with it, do whatever you want or believe whatever you want.

I don't believe we should ever tolerate homophobia, racism, ageism or any of those. They are abominations. And when you guys proof to me that without any doubt and can provide me with sources that are reliable, I will jump on the bandwagon, but sorry I am not going to do it with the current sources.

And when and if Engen speaks it will be up to all of us to believe him or not to believe him. For those that don't want too and have already made up their minds about this, I feel sure they won't.

• Members

If it's your JOB as an ACK-TOR and you QUIT over it, potentially destroying your career due to contract issues, then I think that indicates just a smidge of a homophobic overreaction.

Archived