B&B: Week of May 18, 2009

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

He looks good. He has great hair. But why's he on the show? That is the question. He wants to get Donna NOW? After she was single and alone for years, now he wants her? They better come up with a bigger reason than "his father dated Donna and heard about the Forresters" to have him in our faces every day. They could at least foreshadow that his motives are bigger than they appear.

• Members

You should put

in spoiler tags.

The couger s/l now sucks *ss. It was great...until Jackie turned into a rapist/sexual harasser. Now I want that b!tch to drown miserably in her frakking bathtub.

• Members

Well. It's a complicated story.

Taylor & Nick were married and Taylor desperately wanted another kid to add to her growing Octomommy brood (Thomas, Steffy and Feeble -- I mean, Phoebe). However, the doctors said that her organs couldn't go it alone! So Taylor and Nick did the whole IVF/insemination thing with what they thought was a random chick's donor egg.

Dr. Bridget (before she became Madame X, International Designer of Mystery) volunteered to do the icktastic insemination. We even saw Taylor's feet in stirrups and Dr. Bridget in scrubs doing her thang. This was back when B&B thought it was GH for one hot minute and started filming every other scene on its pink hospital set. The reason I mention Bridget is that she and Nick were once married, but he couldn't stop his magic peen singing whenever it saw Brooke, Bridget's mother.

Did I mention that blonde Brooke and dark-haired Taylor fought over human-waxwork Ridge for more than 15 years? Yeah. They're still fighting over the Rigid one.

Anyhoo, back to our story! Apparently, Bridget and her incompetent hospital messed up on the egg samples and picked the wrong test-tube marked "Mrs. Marone"! See, once Brooke had been Mrs. Marone, too, when she was married to Nick for a hot minute. Taylor, Bridget and Brooke have all been Mrs. Marone at one time or another. B&B is kind of incestuous. You may have heard that criticism before.

Anyway, Taylor carried her baby to term, but not before collapsing when she was about to give birth in true Soap Opera fashion. Baby Jack was born but it had some bone-marrow problem. Quick! We need an insta-bone marrow transplant, STAT!

When Bridget went to track down Random Egg Donor Chick, she was shocked to discover that some administrative [!@#$%^&*]-up had been made and Brooke was the Donor. Brooke offered her marrow but the news leaked out and Taylor boohooed a lot about it. It even gave her troubles bonding with baby Jack. That is when Brooke, Ex-Slut-Now-Earth-Mother, became a big Buttinsky and decided Jack needed his real mother. Or as she says, his "weel muthuh." Nick compounded the whole mess by admitting he still had feeeeeelings for Brooke.

Taylor & Nick divorced, but not before there was much Tug-of-Love fighting over who gets custody of baby Jack. When Taylor started falling for younger man Rick (who happens to be Brooke's SON! Yes, Brooke has birthed many B&B characters), Brooke issued an ultimatum: Taylor had to choose between RICK or BABY JACK!

Taylor stupidly chose Rick. They broke up, like, two weeks later. Rick is currently trying to woo Steffy, Taylor's daughter.

Is your head starting to spin yet?

• Members

Wow, thank you so much, Cat! I love your recaps, they are so funny! :lol: So I take it that Brooke has custody of baby Jack? My mom watched B&B a very long time ago when Caroline Spencer was on it.

I don't understand why anyone would fight over Ridge or Nick (or any man, for that matter, lol).

• Members

Nick loves Bridget and wants to win her back. Gag me. Of course the idiot will go running back to him after she finds out that Owen's been sleeping with Jackie. I hope she's prepared to watch out for Donna or Beth bc you just know he will cheat on her with an adult family member of hers

• Members

No problem, Gumdrop! I wish I could say I was trying to be funny, but that is honestly the way it all played out on screen. Be prepared for this show. It makes GH look like Masterpiece Theatre. It is not the same show your mom used to watch, when characters like Caroline (who is one of my favorite soap characters ever) and Stephanie anchored the show.

I don't understand either why women would be all over wrinkly blowhards like Nick and Ridge. But that is what B&B and GH have in common, I guess. They don't always treat their female characters well.

I'm psyched

is coming as he is one of my favorite actors, and I don;t mean to dampen your enthusiasm but... I don't know if Bradley Bell is the "writer" to showcase

strengths and versatility.

• Members

I don't expect much in regards to your last paragraph since GH disappointed me consistently with that. I haven't really watched GH in a long time because that soap hardly ever gives a woman's POV unless the name is Carly, and there are about 4 Carly's on it right now. :D I remember Caroline's hairstyle (loved it and her beauty) and just loved the actress who played her. I pretty much only paid attention to the show when she or Stephanie were on. I vaguely remember hating Brooke and Ridge back then.

• Members

Or Hope. Just wait until they age her.

ETA: I don't think it's a case of Ashley Jones being miswritten at all. They've given her plenty of sink your teeth into moments(no matter how poorly plotted they were) and she fails to deliver more often than not. Abortion/Russian Roulette, Bridget Finding Out About Catalina Sex, Madame X, etc. are all examples of Jones' ball dropping. Jones chooses to play things way too safe. And let's not even get started on the way the girl can barely spout out medical The one and only time I've ever enjoyed her Bridget in recent memory is when she went toe-to-toe with Katie at Jackie M, after she revealed herself as Madame X.

• Members

It's funny...I basically like her. I much preferred Jennifer Finnegan...at least for that "virginal" stage of Bridget's life.

But Ashley--who was the one part of the "Dennison" story on Y&R that I could really get behind--works for me as the "anti-Brooke". So, she's even keeled, not histrionic, and usually tries to make good decisions. She is not supported by the writing (e.g., when Nick suddenly flip-flopped with Katie), so she has to change direction all the time.

I think she is one of the few cast members on this show to emerge with dignity intact DESPITE uneven writing. I can't look at Moss or Wagner or McCook or Gareis or Lang or Tylo or even, really, Flannery these days without rolling my eyes. They do not transcend their material (except Flannery, sometimes). So, they do not emerge with dignity intact.

Jones, on the other hand, can be jonesing for her brother (the infamous Ridge-lust...now fully dropped and not even referenced in subtext...good ole' B&B), and we still feel for her. That is Ashley's doing, IMO.

• Members

I feel for Jones' Bridget. I feel the urge to slap the piss out of her for just rolling over without putting up a good fight.

As it has been mentioned here earlier, alot of it has to do with the writing, but some of it has to do with the way Jones portrays her. Her Bridget is never angry or upset enough about the lies people tell her. Her Bridget is never conflicted with her feelings about anything. It's always this wishy washy thing followed by her screaming at someone in that high pitched voice.

Jones is better suited for paint drying heroines, not layered, morally conflicted characters like Bridget.

And Jenn Finn did Ridget WAAAAAY better.

Archived