Y&R: Week of May 18, 2009

• Members

Yeah, the fact she abandoned daytime for 20 years before the stike showed how much of a passion she has for soap writing. :rolleyes:

It's all reletively subjective. Sorry, but you're the last person that should question anyone else's objectivity in regards to this show.

Well, at least that's out in the open. ;)

I'm sure you made excuses in your mind even back them with those weaker periods as you do now.

What solid correlation does quality have to do with ratings? Ryan's Hope and Santa Barbara at their peaks all had critical acclaim and very loyal cult followings, yet neither lit the ratings on fire.

Yet, you're the one eating this Mary Jane s-it up. :rolleyes:

I loved Thirtysomething, and I fail to see the connection.

Again, not in the writing or in the acting - for me at least.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Mark and alphanguy...

Is part, bigger part, of your satisfaction with Maria Arena's The Young and the Restless that it gives you a bit of (Proustian) lost time? Nostalgia, memories? How much of your satisfaction comes from how "beautifully written" these stories are?

• Members

That was a really interesting scene because Phyllis was desperate to believe it was just sex. Blowing it off as a one time thing that was just physical, but deep down she knew it wasn't that simple. That it wasn't just a meaningless one night stand. I thought that was some good acting from MS. She played someone in love desperately trying to stay in denial very well.

So for me, if it actually was just a one night stand I can see how someone would put their family above that. When you know your spouse is actually in love with someone else, that's a lot harder to swallow and I think Phyllis shouldn't much longer. I like the idea of a couple more years of Phick, but it seems to me things are about top explode.

• Members

Y&RWorldTurner, if I remember correctly...

Did you say, a long time ago, that Lorraine Broderick's style is unsuited for The Young and the Restless? Or was that about Wendy Riche? I'm forgetting...

• Members

She never inherited the #1 soap and managed to drive it to record lows in a short amount of time either.

This is what she told FrenchFan, and you must take into account that GL switched to 10 AM in the morning in many places during the early 90's too.

I refuse to accept meiorce storytelling. IF you feel the need to love eveything about this show, go ahead, I don't have to.

Yes, and MAB let it happen and had the power to veto it.

• Members

Neither, I think.

I gave Riche credit for what she managed to do with GH when she inherited it. She turned that show around and took it away from the Monty-isms that people claimed the show could never step away from. She did the impossible with a seemingly damaged show at the time, and I think Y&R needs someone like that.

• Members

Honey, I'm sure the writer's DON'T HAVE A CLUE. The only reason I know this is because my best friend is black, otherwise I'd be totally ignorant as well. Rowell DID have a point needing a black writer on staff to help write for the Winters. I just disgaree that it needed to be HER.

Archived