Y&R: Week of May 11, 2009

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

The biggest issue for me is I'm not invested in the stakes. I would be more interested if Victor were still grieving Sabrina and Adam was gaslighting him. Then we could see some of Victor's past, the underexplored scars he had as a child which embittered him, his failings and successes when he became a man. They could have had Victor's brother return, as they had a complicated relationship.

Ashley is just another of Victor's women. Their reunion was rushed, and since this isn't her first bout with mental illness or baby problems, they are almost marking time with her. This is barely even about her, outside of being Victor's partner. They could have tried to have Adam sour Victor's relationship with Abby, but since that relationship was so rushed in the first place (as soon as Abby returned, she was calling Victor "Daddy" and Brad was an afterthought), and we barely see Abby, that wouldn't have any weight.

I think this story is very surface, style over substance, with some solid work from Eileen Davidson and Chris Engen, but for me it just reinforces how devoid of momentum the Newman family is now. They have to rely on making Adam a cartoon because the rest of them don't seem to be able to have interesting storylines as part of the family. Nick isn't even that interesting in the love triangle which is tailor made for him.

I was hoping Adam was brought in to slowly phase Nick or Victoria out, but instead he's probably on his way out.

• Members

It's as if TPTB are afraid to develop Tyra into a vixen, out of fear that viewers will write her off as a "Drucilla clone". If you ask me, allowing her to "turn bad" would at least provide some motivation as to why she is there, hanging onto Neil.

• Members

Yes. I agree.

It is funny...I watched this episode all excited about P3...which (of course) was spoiled by Hinsey and the rest.

I didn't expect to be RIVETED by the Adam tale. Best day ever on that story! In fact, it made up for what was an otherwise fairly perfunctory wedding. But Adam....ROCKED. Poor Ashley. Poor Estella. But what fun to watch!

• Members

I am convinced this gaslighting story was meant for Sabrina. MAB and Co. might've incorporated some elements from "Rebecca" (for instance, Sabrina's clothes) because they couldn't resist the parallels between that story and Ashley as Victor's "new" wife; but the stuff w/ hearing the baby (and everything else)? That was supposed to be Sabrina's agony. MAB just threw Ashley into the plot, because she probably thought it was too good to waste (she was wrong).

• Members

Or, they could have undone Cane-is-Phillip w/o bringing back you-know-who or mentioning the Latham scene at all. It wouldn't be the first time, after all, that Y&R brought up something, only to drop it. Remember the whole business about Brad-as-George, and how it contradicted a scene where Brad had met his mother in a diner back in '85? IIRC, Bill Bell told DD shortly afterward that they weren't doing anything with the diner scene, and just to forget it.

• Members

I wonder if they're going to have any interviews with Thom Bierdz. I know he auditioned for Big Brother several years ago, which is when he decided to come out.

This must be full circle for him. He changed his name, because of the problems his family went through; now he's gone back to his original name. The first time around, he was closeted, struggling with what he was, on a show which supposedly had other actors who were also closeted. I remember that interview he gave a few years ago, talking about how Lauralee Bell had a crush on him, how he had to confide in her that he was gay, and so on. Now he's returned as the second openly gay actor to be hired in recent months.

I don't know what's going to happen with Phillip (if this is Phillip) but it's a very interesting real life story.

Archived