I Dreamed a ''Guiding Light'' Dream

• Members

">
" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="320" height="265">

Awwwwwwwwwwww

That is just too nice!!

Bonus

Mom & daughter watching Emma's presentation

">
" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="320" height="265">

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

That's just sad. It's all right to be disappointed when your favorite programs get canceled, but making videos of yourself singing about them is just weird. Some of these folks need to go outside and breathe deep to get their feet back on the ground.

• Members

Everywhere you go now, ANY blog or site with a GL item gets dozens or hundreds of comments.

This is clearly an organized BigPurpleDreams/Otalia response.

I'm thrilled the story is so inspirational...but I feel all this "fan support" is for naught, since it looks so contrived. It seems so clearly to be "fair-weather friends", linked to a particular story. It offers no confidence, I feel, regarding the long-term viability of a GL without Otalia.

• Members

That's very true. My concern is that the vast majority of time and energy being spent on "saving GL" seems to be coming from the Otalia brigade and while I understand what this story means to a lot of people, there doesn't seem to be a lot of actual devotion to GL itself in this. If Lifetime or whoever wants to buy The Otalia Show, that's fine by me and I'll probably watch it myself, but don't buy Guiding Light and turn it into The Otalia Show, dumping everyone else other than a few peripheral characters who are directly attached to them, and pretend that you've saved Guiding Light itself.

I also agree about an organized campaign. Checkout YouTube. Edits of Bill & Lizzie, Phillip, or Reva, get roughly 2-5 hundred views and maybe 2-5 comments at the most. Otalia clips net thousands of views and hundreds of comments each. Today's Otalia clip, posted less than 12 hours ago, already has almost 3,000 views and 125 comments already. These clips are being watched repeatedly by a relatively small group of people. These videos are not getting tens of thousands of unique viewers watching them once or twice each. They're getting 500 to 1000 or so people watching these clips several times each. Plus, a large number of these people are not American. Reading the comments, alot of them are from Britain, Australia, Germany, and Austria and watch Otalia clips on Youtube but have no idea what Guiding Light is other than it's the show that Otalia is on and they have no means or intention of watching the entire show. While GL does play in Canada and Italy, the American audience is it's base and alot of these Youtube viewers either can't or wouldn't watch the show in it's entirety on American television, whether it be CBS or Lifetime. So it seems to me that the Otalia craze has had little effect on GL's ratings on CBS and unless Lifetime has international options, it probably won't there either.

• Members

I agree with almost everything you wrote in that larger post.

I do think an "Otalia spinoff" could have legs...and it might be one model for the future of GL. Not GL exactly, but like "donating its organs" so that a piece of it can live on.

I'm actually very disturbed that reports over the weekend attributed to Robert Newman indicated that TVLand might be another home for GL. YIKES. That network is NO BETTER than Soapnet...with its constant reinvention and movement away from its original core support for classic TV.

It is an MTV/Viacom network, and I do not believe it would have a real, long-term, solid investment in GL.

• Members

I thought it was real nice that these people are pleading on YT to save the show. It would be nice though if Otalia isn't mentioned in one of these videos. Don't me wrong, I like them and everything but this is Guiding Light. Other GL members should upload videos of themselves talking about their favorite GL scenes or something.

Archived