I Dreamed a ''Guiding Light'' Dream

• Members

But seriously, don't you think that very word -- pleading -- seems a little sad, desperate? I don't know...I guess I can't break my mental template of "the dying patient". And because of that, I can't let go of the "dignity of letting go".

But who knows how I'd feel if it was my show? I'd probably be a pleading, raging maniac on yt :).

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

So it is wrong for people to show support with a show, regardless of how they do it, but it is ok to spend countless hours on line posting picture recaps of the show and descriptions as to what happened that day? Oh and countless long winded posts about what is wrong with the show and how you know to do it better?

Some may need to take their own advice if this is how they feel about the supporters of the show!

• Members

What's with the condescending tone?

If this is the way these women choose to spend their time, then wonderful for them! But we all, no matter what we say or do, put ourselves out there, well aware of the scrutiny. I've been attacked before and have been called crazy for believing some things.

If our criticism of their songs, montages, and using their own children in videos to drum up support for a low budget serial bothers them, then they shouldn't have posted it on YouTube or on the internet for that matter for all the world to see.

No kidding. I think we ALL need to take our own advice.

• Members

I personally only do a long pic recap maybe once or twice a month, when the absurdity level has gone critical and doing one is a lot more fun than sitting through the show passively. Plus, if you type 90 words a minute like I do, it doesn't take "countless hours" either.

• Members

I don't think pleading is the right word... loyalty, yes. I know that some of the fans in the vid are Bizzie fans, but because it was created by members of Big Purple Dreams, it only stands to reason that most are going to be Otalia fans. And yes, it is this story that has drawn people into Guiding Light, and while I agree some are probably fair-weather, most are invested in the other couples and storylines on the show. I can't tell you how many have commented on the undeniable chemistry between Phillip/Beth and Josh/Reva - and this is coming from people who have never watched Guiding Light before Otalia! Bizzie, Chemy, and Shaynah are also popular among newer fans and they are loving Alan and James.

Myself, I am completely hooked on Otalia and think they are the best thing since sliced bread. :D But I am a 25+ year fan and will watch this show as long as it graces my screen, no matter who is on the show. However, I do hope that the new show focuses on the Spaulding and Lewis families, along with Otalia and characters like Blake and Lillian.

• Members

I have been going to check the TV Without Pity site and the Otalia posters have taken over there! They have given them nicknames (dimples for Nat..) etc. I think the story is interesting but that just reminds me of the old Pharley Board (Phillip and Harley and anyone who didnt think they were the bestest got their assess chewed) Manny and Jassie nuttiness. I guess I just dont get people who are SO into couples on soaps....I have always been more interested in the story..who these people are, how they got to where they are, how they effect others in town and where are they going from here. Otalia has all that so I think they ARE interesting but...come on...calm down people, the show, if it goes on, is going to have to break them up eventually and I dont see Doris being the third wheel, its going to be a guy and the Big Purple people are going to FREAK out!

And ignore good ole Kwing42 aka Kings Highway, aka MonkeyMan...he/she is a sour puss poster who loves to scold other posters, which is fine, but please, be funny and witty when you do so, dont sound like an old nun when you do it.

• Members

Ah Mitch, the eternal mean spirited NON-know it all.

I was merely pointing out that ONE poster was bemoaning the fact that someone posted their feelings on GL in a manner that they saw fit. It is no different than RVD doing the same with her LONG postings with screen caps.

big deal!

• Members

Oh my god...that was like being called "EVIL," by Satan (or "gay," by Liberace...) I love it, I also love how you pretend to defend one person by knocking another..you are nothing but consistent!

• Members

ITA. I like the Otalia story too, in fact I think it's pretty much the only consistently well written and interesting thing on the show but some of their fans are going absolutely Manny/Rassie/Jammy bat-s***-crazy and I think that seriously hurts GL's cause to get picked up elsewhere, it doesn't help it. Enthusiasm is fine but reworking lyrics of famous songs to make them about a fictional couple, singing the new song on video, and posting it to the world is disturbingly reminiscent of the Manny fans voodoo doll making to me. The worst case scenario IMO would be for GL to get picked up elsewhere but have everything other than Otalia and a few closely related characters stripped away and TPTB, having put all their eggs in one basket and pandering to a narrow fanbase with little long-term loyalty to the GL brand, are stuck writing Otalia the same way all soaps have gotten stuck writing "supercouples" with rabid fans who won't allow their couple to have any internal conflict whatsoever.

I wouldn't even mind the old-nun with the ruler attitude if it was used to discuss like, you know, the actual show. I've never seen this person discuss the show itself anywhere. They only pop up to scold posters who aren't fitting their rigid notion of what good, passive little fans should be.

Archived