Another World

• Replies 11.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

If you're still reading Anne Heche articles, ...

If you read only one Anne Heche article today, let it be this one:

And, then come see me on IG

• Members

Earlier today, I looked at the link but that article was "not found" on the LAmag.com website. So then I found it on "google cache" so that really was a legit link. Apparently it was there but had recently been removed from their site.

Then I ran the googlecache though the archiving site and saved it there, but  I didn't have a chance to post it until now.
Here is the archived link: https://archive.ph/z6yEE

Not sure why lamag.com took the original down from their site, so I guess I'd advise reading the link with some skepticism in case there are errors or whatever.

Edited by janea4old

• Members

Just saw the post about Robert LuPone's death in the In Memoriam thread. He played Neal Cory on Another World for about 6 months. The character, although technically Mac's nephew, didn't really seem to fit anywhere -- it wasn't clear to me whether he was always intended as short term or if they decided he wasn't working out and replaced him with Adam. I had forgotten that although he seemed to be trying to steal the Egyptian treasure it had turned out that he was actually an undercover federal agent. His behaviour continued to seem sinister and he harassed Victoria and possibly almost raped her. Then he left immediately once Adam arrived and was never mentioned again.

• Members

Neal was introduced at the tail end of the  previous regime and when Whitesell and DePriest arrived they dropped him for a more 'attractive' brother, probably as soon as his contract cycle allowed.

I'm sure Lupone was a fine actor but to be cast as a leading man twice (also Tom Bergman on SFT) seemed an odd choice.

Don't know why they made Adam a Cory also. The never before mentioned branch of the family seemed false.

Perhaps Adam could have been a returned Dennis Carrington/Wheeler.

• Members

Wow. Tomb dust disease had a lot of symptoms when it didn't knock you out right away. Sometimes Mac seemed to be manic, with his enthusiasm for electronic books; he was a bit more paranoid when he fired Liz; and he also seemed to have some kind of dementia when he forgot when it was and called Neal Alfred (or Albert) and tried to call Ada's house to reach Rachel.

Neal does come across in the episode here as more leading-man-like than I remembered, with a bit of an edge. The bit where he blurts out to the twin he thinks is Marley that he's in love with Victoria seemed very odd. I mean I understand from a story point of view that it piques Vicky's interest so she calls him, but it didn't seem internally motivated in any rational way, especially given that he appeared to sincerely believe he was talking to Marley.

I agree that Mac's brother and nephews always seemed to have come out of nowhere and didn't really feel fully integrated, especially the way Neal disappeared as soon as Adam arrived. Maybe they didn't think to bring Dennis back because they thought he would be too old for Victoria. Or they didn't want to stir up memories of Iris.

• Members

I am not an expert, but I am going to guess that it was in fact scripted because of how clean Neal's line and reaction shot were. If it wasn't scripted I would have expected some scrambling to catch the reaction (or only get the voice offscreen).