Another World

• Members

Probably poated before...but scenes of Alice from when steven goes to prison to when she goes away for help.  I thought Courtney portrayed the slow descent into a breakdown well...and i liked seeing Susan Sullivan back when she was more subtle before Dharma and Greg era.

Im thinking harding wanted Alice to be weak willed...and Courtney wad too strong of actor to truly be weak.  While Harney was decent, she didnt have the charisma of Courtney...anf played up the more passive parts of Alice...imho

• Replies 11.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

Lemay talks in his book about two problematic actors (leading men) who would eventually need to be replaced (this was after Reinholt was fired) - one for showing up drunk or angry at his fellow actors, the other one not bothering to learn his lines. Lemay doesn't specifically mention these problematic actors by name, but I always assumed the first actor was John Fitzpatrick, and the second was Nicolas Coster.

• Members

Include me in the group that was disappointed at there being no Steve Alice scene in 1989.  if it had only been Rachel he appeared to, okay, you could argue that she was delirious.  But once Jaime is involved as well then you lose that argument.  There HAS to be a Steve Alice scene.

I also thought that the 2 actors were Coster and Fitzpatrick.  It's funny how Lemay has no problem mentioning names so many times, but wouldn't here.  He also mentions a friendship with Coster that seems to heve become strained at some point.

• Members

Of all the replacement Alices, Harney was probably the least bad (to damn her with faint praise, LOL), but she lacked the spark, charisma, and emotion that Courtney had; all the elements which made the audience care for her so much.

Lemay lambasted Courtney for her "incoherent sobbing" during emotional scenes, and accused her of overacting during the character's nervous breakdown (he wanted her to show "mute grief," if I recall correctly), yet I daresay none of the later actresses who played the role could ever had done such a fine job as Alice during this period. I was surprised that Courtney was not nominated for an Emmy during the 1973-4 season. 

• Members

I completely agree. There should have been a scene with Reinholt and Courtney to at least give them that final "goodbye" that they never had during their original run. It would have capped off an impressive week of cameos and Bay City history, in general. Although, on the other hand, it could have made fans demand that they bring the two of them back, myself included. I guess TPTB were just concerned with having Steve interact with current cast members?

Also, I wonder if Coster and Lemay eventually reconciled? Lemay's book was published in 1981(and probably finished the year prior?). I remember reading interviews in the 1990's (or possibly the 2000's) with each of them, and they were complimentary of each other, if asked.

• Members

I would hold to them if I were you. Not all the material has been uploaded to youtube, and among the bits that have, some remain and others have disappeared. In years past, I've gotten rid of videos from my personal collection, figuring I could just watch them on youtube...only to discover later on, that they had disappeared completely from the internet.

And of course, as soon as certain eps are not available anywhere, you really, really, really want to watch ithem again!

Edited by vetsoapfan

• Members

I never said Costner was replaced, but he was let go from the show. Not having your contract renewed is a form of dismissal. In 1983, ABC declined to renew Jacquie Courtney's contract on OLTL, despite her enormous popularity and importance to the program, which iwas a similar situation.