Another World

• Replies 11.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

If I remember correctly, there is a YouTube user that posted a 100+ part series on Carl's redemption storyline that aired from about 1993 onward. That should give you at least SOME idea of the changes that happened under Sloane. IMO, the show became the televised equivalent of white bread about that time, decent, inoffensive but bland, and if you weren't already hooked during Swajeski's era, Sloane's era wasn't gonna hook you on at all.

• Members

I remember fans writing in to soap mags in the year before Connie Ford's death, complaining that Ada rarely appeared anymore. It was assumed to be ageism on the show's part, nobody knew Connie was sick. Such a great character and actress. I was gratified that the show brought back Nancy and Clarice for Ada's funeral -- Clarice was especially surprising, as she was a completely forgotten character. But she was an indispensable part of Ada's history for longtime viewers.

I was always torn about Carl's redemption and romance with Rachel. I really enjoyed the evil Carl and thought Keating was a wonderful (if hammy) actor. The budding Rachel-Carl connection was beautifully written and performed, and anything that gave Vicky Wyndham major screen time was OK in my book. At the same time, I couldn't shake the feeling that the situation was an insult to Mac, and that Rachel really would never have allowed Carl into her life. Wyndham and Keating sold the hell out of it though. I remember the mini-controversy towards the end of the run when Brian Frons pointed to Carl & Rachel's popularity as symptomatic of what was wrong with AW. Ultimately, for me, the only downside of the relationship was Victoria Wyndham's unfortunate choice to adopt a faux-Shakesperean, airy-fairy accent. It drove me nuts!

• Members

Thanks Carl, fun read! And I see Mr. Ray kept with '70s soap journalist tradition and spelled a character's last name incorrectly. :P And, "Over her prostrate form the telephone receiver dangled ominously from a nearby table." Love that. :lol:

This is interesting because it's pretty much a recap. How long before this article did all of this happen? Seems like something that would have been written ten or twenty years later, not a scant few.

I have the ep where Robert smashed that bust of Mac to smithereens (Iris: :o OHHHhhhooo NOOOhohohooohhh!!! :( The bust of Daddy™... they destroyed that too. How *could* theyyy???).

Edited by SFK

• Members

I've never seen that episode with the bust being destroyed. Lemay did love his symbolism didn't he?

This must have been around early 1976, when this happened? They mention March was when Rachel had the miscarriage.

Yeah I kind of wished they'd had some comments from the actors or something but the picture of Beverlee was so striking (even though I chopped it up) I decided to post it.

I don't think I'd seen the one of her and Robert before.

• Members

Also in that ep, Robert takes the fireplace poker to Iris' portrait, that's what she notices (and is horrified by) first. It's a great scene, she actually blames Louise when she first comes on the scene ("Then why have you got that poker in your hand!?"). You can't help but LOL a little when she says re: her portrait, "I can't bear to look at it... I feel as though I've been violated too." :lol:

• Members

I don't remember Mac's bust being smashed but I do remember when Robert slashed Iris's portrait (that "Daddy" had comissioned) some time later. Good old Beverlee flipped when she gazed above mantlepiece to discover the damage. As I remember it, by then Robert was aware Clarice was carrying his child, and also aware of Iris's campaign otf harrassment against her. She was one busy bee with lots of stings.

I would have been 8 years old in '76, and I don't remember Rachel having this miscarriage, but it feels like they were still playing at Rachel redemption for nastily sending Alice those baby clothes after her miscarriage (among other misdeeds).

Okay, we're on the same theme. But my aging brain seems to have lost the details.

• Members

Yeah they did a great job of redeeming Rachel without making her too sappy. Other shows should do as much. And look, no rape to "redeem" Rachel.

What does it say about Beverlee and Iris that when I read about her busted bust and destroyed portrait, I just go, "Poor Iris :( " instead of caring about her campaign against poor Clarice.

• Members

Clarice was as dumb as a box of hair and a white trash waitress to boot. She allowed things to happen to her while Iris, damaged as she was, at least tried to take control of her life. Of course that meant trying to take control of other people's lives as well.