Another World

• Members

I was referring more to the times after that, when Cecile would just pop in from time to time to cause trouble for Cass. For only like a ratings grab or something. And I always felt that she should have been more than that.

But yeah, you're right. I'd love to get Laura Malone's complete perspective about what went on around that time.

• Replies 11.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

I was surprised years ago when Nancy first took over as Cecile that she was a lot more low key and cunning.  She seemed to mirror what Susan Keith had done with the part.. but I think her natural comedic abilities eventually changed Cecile from an outright villainess.. to a more comical character.

My late mom had a soft spot for Nancy F since she had previously played Tara on AMC.. a complete 180 from Cecile.

• Members

The Beverlee petition is at 110 names, shooting for 200 & has been completely rewritten. 

https://chng.it/JBsh8Y9tkk

Growing up, my mother introduced me to the captivating world of soap operas through her beloved show Another World. I vividly remember being enthralled by the mesmerizing performances of its talented cast, particularly that of Beverlee McKinsey, who portrayed the iconic character Iris. Her portrayal was nothing short of extraordinary and left an indelible mark on daytime television.

It is with great admiration and respect that I write this petition to urge the National Academy of Arts & Sciences for Daytime to award a posthumous Lifetime Achievement Emmy to Beverlee McKinsey. Her contributions to the soap opera genre were unparalleled, and she deserves this prestigious recognition for her outstanding body of work.

Beverlee's portrayal of Iris on Another World was so compelling that it led to the creation of another soap opera called Texas centered around her character. This speaks volumes about her immense talent and ability to captivate audiences with her nuanced performances.

Not only did she leave an indelible mark on Another World, but she also graced our screens as Alexandra Spaulding on Guiding Light. Her portrayal in this role further solidified her status as one of the greatest actresses in daytime drama history.

Beverlee McKinsey has been hailed by many as one of the best actresses in daytime drama, often referred to as "the Greta Garbo" or "the grande dame" of soaps. Her ability to bring depth, complexity, and authenticity to every scene is unmatched even today.

While statistics may not fully capture Beverlee's impact on viewers' lives or quantify her immense talent accurately, they do reflect some aspects worth considering. During her time on Another World and Guiding Light, both shows experienced significant increases in ratings and viewership due in large part to Beverlee's exceptional performances.

Moreover, numerous reputable sources have recognized Beverlee McKinsey's extraordinary contributions to the soap opera genre. Her work has been praised by critics, industry professionals, and fellow actors alike. These accolades further validate her status as a true legend in daytime television.

By awarding a posthumous Lifetime Achievement Emmy to Beverlee McKinsey, we would not only honor her incredible talent but also pay tribute to the rich history of soap operas. It would serve as a reminder of the profound impact she had on millions of viewers and inspire future generations of actors in this genre.

Join me in signing this petition to persuade the National Academy of Arts & Sciences for Daytime to recognize Beverlee McKinsey's unparalleled contributions by awarding her a posthumous Lifetime Achievement Emmy. Let us celebrate her legacy and ensure that her remarkable talent is forever remembered and cherished.

Thank you for your support in honoring an actress who touched our lives through her unforgettable performances on Another World and Guiding Light.

• Members

I have posted this before.  One of my favorites.  Great dialogue between Anna Stuart, Victoria Wyndham, Constance Ford, Anne Hache, Carmen Duncan and Nancy Frangione.  I wish they would have been able to bring her back in full "b*&ch" mode and not as a caricature.  

• Members

I wish Donna and Cecile could have been ongoing rivals in the last years of AW. Their banter was always fun and they looked like they enjoyed it. I'm sure TPTB wanted to focus on younger characters though.

I never felt like there was a true long-term rivalry on AW in the final years, like say Viki/Dorian, Jill/Katherine. Vicky/Lila was fun, but it wasn't filled with history. Other rivalries were hot for a year or two and then nothing. Vicky/Paulina. Vicky/Marley. 

Edited by Melroser

• Members

The NY Post used the same photo, cropped to just Susan Keith, on their article about Nancy Frangione. Still not corrected. I did always think that Nancy looked similar enough to Susan that the recast was not jarring from that perspective, but really.

• Members

Ironically I just finished the episode during the 1988 writer strike where Felicia/Sharlene first met.. and how friendly they were with one another.  

I'm going to be honest and say that there was some actual character driven activity at first in regards to the John/Sharlene/Felicia story.. that quickly veered into plot driven over-drive.  Felicia had lost 2 husbands, and had endured the Misery like hostage situation so she was obviously adrift and kind of bitter at the world.  Remember.. Felicia wasn't a nice person when she first joined the show. 

However, I do agree that Felicia would never hit below the belt like that with Sharlene.. no matter how much tension there was between two women.  Felicia also had a horrible upbringing and had her child stolen from her at birth.. there was a no way she would ever say those things to anyone.